Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

TdF '13 Stage 8 Predictions Disc *spoilers* Jul6 Castres to Ax 3 Domaines +Pailheres

TdF '13 Stage 8 Predictions Disc *spoilers*

Stage 8: Castres to Ax 3 Domaines.
    Skiing the Pyrenees here can be difficult enough. Cycling to the top seems like a killer. Stage 8 takes the riders into the Pyrenees.
    Stage 8 looks like 80 miles of warm-up to get ready for Col de Pailheres, a hors categorie climb. Then down, then promptly up to Ax 3 Domaines. The Tour has finished here a few times in recent years.

Getting toward Spain brings the Spaniards out, and getting into Basque territory brings out the enthusiastic Basque fans.

Euskaltel, the all-Basque team, will be fighting for a stage win in front of their fans.

Stage 7 saw the race rally begin to break up, and Stage 8 will be sure to put some variability into the standings, and make some overall, GC winner discussion proceed in earnest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think this one will be a nice race. Today had just enough climbing that the GC guys should be nice and warmed up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ^I agree

Zubeldia, a Basque rider, might be enough of a threat to the GC overall that he might not be given a chance to shoot for a stage win in Basque territory. He could use the enthusiasm of the hometown crowd to begin a move for GC, but he would definitely be a marked man for a few days after that. His teammate Schleck could be his domestique.

Otherwise, the peleton might not be hell-bent to reel in a breakaway with a Basque rider or two looking for hometown glory.

I don't think the eventual overall TdF winner could possibly spring out of the current standings from any father back than 51st place, Cunego. A dark horse surely could win this year, and if that does eventually happen, I bet he is now cruising along in this top 50.

I would be interested to hear anyone's scenarios for a dark horse unexpected overall winner at this point, given the current standings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I suppose a breack could get away. This is why we should bring back time bonuses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Ugh, time bonuses. I know why people want them back but as evidenced by the stage lineup this year not having a prologue has been a really good thing. I can see them keeping it up with maybe having an ITT on stage 3-4 from now on. Its been a great change of pace.

Tomorrow is going to really show the climbers who have the legs ready. I dont think a break is going to get away and I feel that Sky really want to show they are up to the task of leading the TdF. We could see Froome win the stage with Porte coming in second.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Andy Schleck will channel his brother's anger and ride to victory! (ok, I'm a lot drunk right now)

I expect Froome to open a can of whoop-ass. Contador will finish within 15-20 seconds. The rest of the peloton left in shambles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    andy schleck will channel his brother's anger and ride to victory! (ok, i'm a lot drunk right now)

i expect froome to open a can of whoop-ass. Contador will finish within 15-20 seconds. The rest of the peloton left in shambles.
    ^this!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Contador really made a fan out of me at last year's Vuelta. Hopefully he does what he did there and launch attack after attack to try to tire out the Sky train.

RoadBikeReview Member
    what was voeckler trying to do with his break off the front of the peleton? sand bag for later in the race?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hope Froome/Porte have a bad day coming, otherwise this one is done.
    I still think Contador will fight until the end.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't particularly dislike Team Sky, but I feel curiously disappointed after that stage.

Good Person
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    We could see Froome win the stage with Porte coming in second.
    You win.
    I like when you get to that point and I donít know if itís the endorphins kicking in or what, but you realize youíre so far from where you started, that youíre finally really somewhere else, a completely different place.

-Richard Sachs-

Good Person
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMI6 View Post
    I don't particularly dislike Team Sky, but I feel curiously disappointed after that stage.

I understand your feeling. I'm not a Sky hater by any means but I feel a bit disappointed as well.
    I like when you get to that point and I donít know if itís the endorphins kicking in or what, but you realize youíre so far from where you started, that youíre finally really somewhere else, a completely different place.

-Richard Sachs-

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thechriswebb View Post
    You win.
    yes - thechriswebb wins the internet for the day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It is a done deal, Chris Froome is the yellow jersey winner of the 100th Tour de France.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skewer View Post
    It is a done deal, Chris Froome is the yellow jersey winner of the 100th Tour de France.
    Well if thats true and Froome is the anointed winner... Except for some innuendo, cycling lure and climbing Shenanigans will the rest of the tour be kinda dull.

gazing from the shadows
    I hope Froome/Porte have a bad day coming...
    Given tomorrow, and all that follows, Porte was unwise today.

Quote Q^3 to the Qspouse in the moment Porte decided to gain time: "WTF is he thinking?!?!?!?"
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Im surprised more didnt call it. We all knew what would happen.

Was a little shocked to see Porte gain a little time but it showed he still had some legs left as well. Another Sky 1 and 2 for the TdF this year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    i thoroughly enjoyed today's stage. quintana electrified the proceedings and gave me hope. rolland's fight back and belkin's tenacity. but, like a bad horror movie, you could sense it coming. the irrepresible sky train, like a zombie killing all in it's wake. froome is impressive, no doubt, but porte perhaps even moreso, given all the donkey work he does at the front. i hope sky give him the team lead at a vuelta or giro one day, because, barring illness, lack of motivation, froome's gonna own the tour for a couple years.

also, phil and paul are treasures. "it's been decanted now".."he was born at 2000 meters and climbed to 3000 meters"

RoadBikeReview Member

TdF '13 Stage 8 Predictions Disc *spoilers* Jul6 Castres to Ax 3 Domaines +Pailheres

I hope Froome/Porte have a bad day coming, otherwise this one is done.
    I still think Contador will fight until the end.
    You might be right! Bad day or busted.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I dislike Sky but like Froome. He is a warrior like Contador and doesn't depend on Sky's race killing tactics. It seems that he is far and away the best man in this year's race and so, despite everyone's hopes for an exciting Tour after last year's bore, this one looks to be done and dusted - both for the Yellow and Green Jerseys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    There is some very, very serious turning a donkey into a race horse b.s. going on here.

It does not feel clean, it does not smell clean, it sure as heck doesn't LOOK clean.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Where's that GPS?
    Saxo-fan here - but barring any revelations, Sky was the better team today and Conti will have to fight very hard to gain back some time and make a race out of this - would be a pity if 2013 is repeat of 2012's Tour de Yawn. If Froome is fated to win this, let it be a battle and not a procession.

Quintana - the new "killer" of the peloton - there's a yellow jersey in this 23 year-old's future.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

Good Person
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    There is some very, very serious turning a donkey into a race horse b.s. going on here.

It does not feel clean, it does not smell clean, it sure as heck doesn't LOOK clean.
    I'm thinking of Wiggins' self-defense last year when he said "I'm not some sh!t rider who has come from nowhere." Suspicions aside, he is correct and was an Olympic medalist and world class time trialist before he became a GC rider. I was very familiar with Wiggins well before his standout performance in 2009. Where in the world did Chris Froome come from? Until his breakout performance in the Vuelta, I had never heard of him. At the age of 26, one year after joining Sky, he suddenly became a Grand Tour favorite and in less than two years has replaced Alberto Contador as the biggest favorite to win Grand Tours.

-Richard Sachs-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast