Thread: Tee Jay & BMC

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

Tee Jay & BMC

A couple quick thoughts:

- Seems to me that the guys who peak to win the Tour of California end up under performing in the TDF. Now that Tee Jay got his, I hope he treats it like a training ride next year (similar to most of the Euro riders).

- I realize Gilbert is the WC, but other than that, why is he on the BMC Tour roster?

- Considering their funding and big names, is BMC's Tour one of the worst for a team in memory?

UNBANNABLE
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamM View Post
    A couple quick thoughts:

- Seems to me that the guys who peak to win the Tour of California end up under performing in the TDF. Now that Tee Jay got his, I hope he treats it like a training ride next year (similar to most of the Euro riders).

- I realize Gilbert is the WC, but other than that, why is he on the BMC Tour roster?

- Considering their funding and big names, is BMC's Tour one of the worst for a team in memory?
    What are you talking about...Cadel is rocking the GC...

of the grupettos!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    There's no reason for a Tour rider to be out of shape in May. Many of the past TdF winners won 1-week stage races in May in the past.

They're just getting beaten this year like a bunch of others. It was a weird start with fairly hard climbing in the 1st week.
    Côte du Petit Pas d'Ane - Best climb name ever.

Travels by Map
    BMC is doing the worst by far if you consider payroll along with results. They're estimated to be spending more than any other team.
    Froome?s BSkyB-Backed Cycling Team Nears Lead in Pay Race - Bloomberg

I'd say Movistar is getting the most bang for their buck though Sky is obviously doing great as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    BMC is doing what my NY Yankees always did. They buy riders past there prime. If I had Rihs checkbook. The guy I would look at would be Uran. Let him develop to a GT leader. TJ is on the rise as well but having two GT hitters would do well to spread the team around in two GT's per season. My .02$
    10' Tarmac Comp Rival Rollin on Willlaims 38/58 Carbon Clinchers w/Powertap

Get me to In&Out
    Euskatel, Cofidis, and Lampre are the only other teams under performing as badly as BMC, though their roster is nowhere near as expensive. Remember three weeks ago when we were talking about whether Cadel or TJ should be the team leader?
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005

Re: Tee Jay & BMC

My theory: Cadel's still feeling the after-effects of that African mystery funk he got the winter he won the Tour-the effects of which never completely go away. A 23-24 year old could possibly overcome it, but someone in their mid-30's body becomes wrecked, impacted recovery et al.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Phinney races about two races a year only with a prologue so he has a chance to win, then says his knee hurts. He's not paid on performance. Bmc is the most overpaid-overhyped team I've ever seen