RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

Thanks Movistar!!!

For filling in as the surrogate Sky team, and ushering Froome around the course in safety. You do realize you're down on time, right?

Rant off.
    Last edited by skinewmexico; 07-08-2013 at 05:50 AM.
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

Where's that GPS?
    Good point. But perhaps they couldn't do otherwise?
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

Darling of The Lounge
    Today was just some Movistar foreplay before breaking it off in Froome in the Alps.

Quintana: We Showed The World Sky Also Has Weaknesses | Cyclingnews.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Disappointed that Quintana and team Moviestar didn't push Froome to the brink and chase down Martin. The announcers keep bragging about the Columbian's climbing ability but Froome was right there. Looked liked Froome was toying with him, saying is that all you got.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Not sure I understand all the praise directed at these guys - burnt a lot of energy , put zero time in on Froome , didn't win the stage despite numerical superiority- seems like a lot of work to drop Porte down in the GC standings
    Tarmac Fan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skewer View Post
    Disappointed that Quintana and team Moviestar didn't push Froome to the brink and chase down Martin. The announcers keep bragging about the Columbian's climbing ability but Froome was right there. Looked liked Froome was toying with him, saying is that all you got.
    He may be in for a surprise... It's only week 1. Quintana is young and has nothing at all to lose.

All riders have at least one bad day at a Grand Tour. We could've seen the bad day of Contador, maybe he will crack later. But sure we have not seen the worst from Froome, that is still yet to come.

I get the point that it's an uphill struggle for everyone but Froome and the Skyborgs, but it for sure looks more interesting than the day before where it all seemed like a walk in the park for Froome.
    "que nadie se crea que subimos todos estos puertos sólo a base de spaghetti" - Fernando Escartín

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    With a rest day, three flat and one fairly flat stages to come, Movistar wouldn't have gained much by "cracking" Froome. And remember there were other teams in the group, so who is to say Garmin played by Movistar's script? And Movistar did force Froome to respond to some attacks and they got to see that. Keep in mind too that Sky did try to chase the Froome group for a while, that had a hurt a bit even with a rest day and four flat stages to come.

And, the other teams saw that working together might get them a stage win in the mountains. So Garmin, AG2R, Europcar, Saxo, Belkin, etc. who are either stage hunting or still thinking of GC saw what is possible against Sky.

And, it wasn't Movistar that tried to chase at the end, it was Belkin. It was clear Froome wasn't going to crack and Movistar just rode tempo+ and let Belkin and Saxo do the work. Garmin, Saxo, and Belkin did a fair amount of work in the mountains too so it's not like it was all Movistar.
    Last edited by vagabondcyclist; 07-07-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Get me to In&Out
    Moviestar also knows their best rider will lose minutes to Froome in the ITT. Why cook the bird today and lose even more time in the ITT? Ask Porte about overdoing it for zero benefit.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I read it differently:
    Movistar and Saxo had Froome completely isolated and they couldn't break him. They rode high tempo and put in lots of mini-attacks which Froome covered with ease. If they had attacked any harder they would have cooked Contador and Valverde.

I see the Tour becoming a war of attrition in the mountains between an alliance of Spanish riders and Froome.
    A tired Froome was eventually worn down and beaten in last year's Vuelta. Contador and Co must be thinking that they can do the same in this Tour.
    I very much doubt it.

AJL
    Rock on!
    Personally, I think it smart to keep Froome in yellow and make sky defend longer. Froome looked a bit burnt psychologically by the end of yesterday's stage. Tire out the team physically and wear down Froome mentally - it's the only way to have a chance at beating him.
    “In an honest search for knowledge, you quite often have to abide by ignorance for an indefinite period.”
    – Erwin Schrödinger, 1948

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    Personally, I think it smart to keep Froome in yellow and make sky defend longer. Froome looked a bit burnt psychologically by the end of yesterday's stage. Tire out the team physically and wear down Froome mentally - it's the only way to have a chance at beating him.
    Agreed. They did well yesterday to get Porte far off the GC list and put a lot of pressure on Sky. It shouldn't be a surprise that after putting so much effort into getting rid of Porte they were unable to attack.

your text here
    it is always good to keep a team in the position to defend yellow, but it felt like they dropped the ball in cracking froome today.
    sky now knows either:
    - they cant let froome get isolated again and how to prevent it from happening again
    - froome is strong and can cover if need be

this was the best case scenario for froome. he was able to see how strong his legs are, how quickly he can cover an attack, and who else is willining to challenge and attack him. followed by a rest day, he couldnt ask for a better ending to that potential disaster.

I had hoped team would work to break him, but that never really happens. about the only riders that work together are spanish riders, and even they werent hitting him with combinations.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Why Sky going all out on stage 8 they just didnt recover too well. Remember, Froome just had to climb the last 60% of the last climb in stage 8 alone so his legs were clearly much fresher than the rest of the team.

I have no idea why Movistar didnt attack more. It just seemed like they were happy to be setting the pace with 5 guys up front.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    When a rider is dominant, it's very difficult to attack him without risking burning your own guys. A dominant will always be there.

The same can also be said of a dominant sprinter. You can't stop a dominant sprinter from jumping on your train and then overtake your main man.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    When a rider is dominant, it's very difficult to attack him without risking burning your own guys. A dominant will always be there.

The same can also be said of a dominant sprinter. You can't stop a dominant sprinter from jumping on your train and then overtake your main man.
    that's exactly it.

Also Quintana is wearing white, so he's also got something to lose. Isolating Froome means nothing when everyone is competing (on different teams) for the same jersey. If Saxo or Movistar had other members who could go for Yellow (aside from Quintana or Contador), then it becomes more of a challenge for Froome to chase down other attacks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post
    it is always good to keep a team in the position to defend yellow, but it felt like they dropped the ball in cracking froome today.
    sky now knows either:
    - they cant let froome get isolated again and how to prevent it from happening again
    - froome is strong and can cover if need be

this was the best case scenario for froome. he was able to see how strong his legs are, how quickly he can cover an attack, and who else is willining to challenge and attack him. followed by a rest day, he couldnt ask for a better ending to that potential disaster.

I had hoped team would work to break him, but that never really happens. about the only riders that work together are spanish riders, and even they weren't hitting him with combinations.
    You're making the wild assumption that the riders were going slow enough that further attacks were possible. Even when Quintana put in a few digs, he was unable to put any distance between him and the pack before a reaction came.

If I'm close on GC, I'm going 90% max effort to stick with the Yellow jersey and see 5 riders on the same team with GC ambitions, attacking doesn't really make sense. The well represented teams aren't going to let me go and neither is Froome. Even with a day off tomorrow, spending energy recklessly is silly so early in the tour. That doesn't factor in the descent finish - perhaps some simply knew they wouldn't be able to stick an attack with that sort of finish (Schleck?).

Risk:Reward ratio is high for everyone in that group - they essentially would be forced to defend the yellow for 2 weeks. And defend it against Sky (they'll bounce back) & Movistar. For those without deep teams, it's a very bad proposition (Schleck, Cadel, and Contador).

Also remember that Movistar wasn't just going to let anyone get a minute or two and force Froome to do the work. They have to defend their position while taking yellow, and that's a complex battle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jsedlak View Post
    Agreed. They did well yesterday to get Porte far off the GC list and put a lot of pressure on Sky. It shouldn't be a surprise that after putting so much effort into getting rid of Porte they were unable to attack.
    Yes. Now the only reason Porte is there is to take care of Froome. The rest of the group doesn't have to react if Porte goes up the hill on his own and it is now unlikely that he'll go at the end of stage once it's clear Froome is safe for the day.

Taking Porte off the potential podium and out of the top ten simplifies the calculus a bit. Yeah, it could be read as a bit of racing for 2nd and 3rd, but at the same time everyone just has to keep an eye on one Sky rider--Froome. Sky can't send Porte up the road to force the other teams to defend a 2nd or 3rd GC spot and thus use up their energy.

And Sky will have to defend all the way past Lyon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Movistar did drop the ball on that stage. Froome was going to stay with whomever attacked and I think since Movistar views Valverde as their team leader and best possible chance to win, Quintana's job was to stick with him and keep the high tempo. Maybe their strategy was to crack Froome with the tempo and then Valverde and Quintana could have gone to the front but you could kind of see Quintana not giving his all on his mini attacks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    From what I remember Valverde and another Movistar rider basically helped Froome move up into the main group of nearly 30. Why didn't they just keep that group together. Even if Valverde and Froome finished together behind that group Movistar might have had more than one guy in GC contention opening up possibilities in the future.

wyrd biđ ful ărćd
    This does make the alps really really interesting to see if what Moviestar did was right.