your text here

Tour 2013 - Rest Day Two (mostly Stage 15 chatter)

Okay. We now have a 4+ minute gap between Froome and the field. Barring any catastrophic incident, it looks as those Froome will don yellow in Paris. Yes, there is still a week of racing, and two climbs up Alpe d'Huez, but let's be reasonable.

Stage 15 answered many questions. Yes, Froome can attack. Yes, Froome can accelerate. Yes, Team Sky can stick together when the road pitches up. No, a frenchman won't win on Bastille Day. No, Contador can't match Froome's ascending acceleration attacks. No, Quintana can't fend every one off.

We shouldn't be surprised by Froome. Personally, I have been duped by my own closed-mindedness. Last year Froome looked ready to attack on several stages, but was reigned in by his team. We talked so much about how Froome seemed to be a stronger rider than the leader. But after years of watching the favored winner ride to protect rather than attack, I counted Froome out as a rider with bite.

Froome reminds me of Michael Rasmussen. His tall, matchstick build and ability to attack in the steep grades and high mountains. I know how The Chicken's career ended, but let's not cast that shadow on Froome. What Froome has that The Chicken didn't is the ability to Time Trial.

Froome wears not only the Maillot Jaune, but also the Maillot Pois Rouges. Will he attempt to keep that jersey into Paris as well? WWas Hinault the last rider to do that? What would his bike look like on that final ride into Paris? Splash tape!
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post
    What would his bike look like on that final ride into Paris? Splash tape!
    Yellow with red polka dots!
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Where's that GPS?
    I wonder, knowing now what we perhaps refused to see earlier, if this will be the podium in Paris?

1) Froome
    2) Quintana
    3) Contador

Contador will probably get better in week three, but Froome is showing amazing strength and Quintana, despite his age, is a climbing infant terribal - I am begining to suspect that Conti has lost his edge and a new world order is taking the reins before our eyes. I hope Conti can improve and take the race to Froome, but that's just looking increasingly unrealistic.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Froome is not fooling anyone. I'm sure there will be a lengthy PED investigation if he wins. Team Sky obviously has no problem breaking race rules. Did anyone notice the food bags handed out with like 10k to go? The announcers were like that will at least be a fine but why on earth would the riders need to grab a bite during the most intense part of the climb?

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    Rest and recover boys, this tour has been entertaining and perhaps with more surprises to come...maybe one of the better ones...for me.

However, that gap at the top 15 has me thinking I'm blind to yellow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Why in the world did Quintana share the pace making with Froome towards the end?

Get me to In&Out
    The wind at the top was insane. Quintana is a light rider and would get hammered by the wind. Working with Froome helped him survive it a bit. As for Quintana in second...I don't see it with another ITT left to ride. He lost too much time last time for me to believe he has the ITT skills to hold off Contador.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

your text here
    Unless Froome told Quintana he would gift him, the stage, as Quintana i would have stuck to his wheel instaed of help. Of course, I am not sure how much time that helped him gain on Contador.

Froome needs food on the climb and Sky knows this. If I recall correctly, he was poised to win the 2011 Vuelta and bonked on a major climb. It was the brashness of them having soigners on the side with mussets. Yes, there will be fine, but what would you pay to win le tour?

Ask Tony Siragusa what he would pay to go to the SuperBowl and he would tell you$10,000.

Have good, get give
    May 2005
    The food was fine. The food there was part of the race programme. Not sure why this is still being discussed.
    babyarm

haole from the mainland
    Unless Froome told Quintana he would gift him, the stage, as Quintana i would have stuck to his wheel instaed of help. Of course, I am not sure how much time that helped him gain on Contador.
    Apparently Froome said that very thing:

"He told me to work with him because Contador was losing time. He said that if we were still together when we got to the finish then he would let me win, but I couldn't follow in the last two kilometres," Quintana said.

Quintana Last Man Standing In Face Of Froome's Ventoux Attack | Cyclingnews.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    How come no talk about Sagan and the sweet wheelie. He said he did it while the rest of his group was going full bore and he just does a wheelie. Quite a character.

your text here
    sagan is awesome. the wheelie was sweeeeeeet. too bad his goose has cooked his image a lil bit. just a happenstance of taking fun loving a tad too far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoMike View Post
    Froome is not fooling anyone. I'm sure there will be a lengthy PED investigation if he wins. Team Sky obviously has no problem breaking race rules. Did anyone notice the food bags handed out with like 10k to go? The announcers were like that will at least be a fine but why on earth would the riders need to grab a bite during the most intense part of the climb?
    They can hand out food bags when the riders are on a breakaway.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    sagan is awesome. the wheelie was sweeeeeeet. too bad his goose has cooked his image a lil bit. just a happenstance of taking fun loving a tad too far.

I love this guy because of this. Nothing wrong with having a bit of fun and giving the spectators a bit of a show.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.