Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    your text here

Tour Stage 17: 32 km ITT

I have not seen Stage 16, so I have no clue what happened.

But this final ITT comes earlier in the race than normal. That makes the end a bit more exciting if you ask me. And it is a bit hilly, with two Category 2 climbs summiting at 6.4k and 20k. Well, the map makes it look as though there is still a kicker after the "summit."

Contador has excelled at the hilly Time Trial, but that is past tense. It is not an Alpe d'Huez or Galiber ITT, so I count out Quintana. But that doesn't mean he won't burn it up to the second summit. Or Rolland.

But the money is on Froome. Richie Porte is a possibility, but if i had to bet, I would go with Froome.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I would suggest that Porte will take it easy tomorrow so as to be fresh for later in the week when Froome will need all the help he can get. The Top5 of the GC have it all to do and will go flat out. My question is: Will Froome crack? If the answer is yes, I doubt that it will be tomorrow.
    I am finding Contador hard to read, but I cannot believe that he, great racer that he is, will let the new kid on the block win without an almighty fight.. Has he been keeping his best for last as a tactical ploy? Does he have the form to destroy the field when they least expect it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tough to bet against Froome at this point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I got Sagan winning this stage.

Travels by Map
    Quote Originally Posted by albert owen View Post
    I would suggest that Porte will take it easy tomorrow so as to be fresh for later in the week when Froome will need all the help he can get. The Top5 of the GC have it all to do and will go flat out. My question is: Will Froome crack? If the answer is yes, I doubt that it will be tomorrow.
    I am finding Contador hard to read, but I cannot believe that he, great racer that he is, will let the new kid on the block win without an almighty fight.. Has he been keeping his best for last as a tactical ploy? Does he have the form to destroy the field when they least expect it?
    Of course he hasn't been keeping his best for last as a tactical ploy. He obviously has not had the form to destroy the field. He has no possible reason for letting Froome gain so much time other than being unable to do anything about it so far.

On the other hand, you're right that he won't let Froome win without putting up a fight. In fact, he already said that coming in second is just the first loser and he doesn't care about anything other than winning. He'll risk his podium rather than playing it safe. I think he may ride better in the final week, but Froome still looks too good.

“My goal is to win but it is true that Froome is at a level above everyone else, and I can't beat him face to face but we expect a very demanding final week with more tactical options because there are linked climbs and it's not important for me whether I finish second or tenth,” Contador said on the race’s second rest day. “There is a certain stage where I want to see what happens and it could be a good day to try to take my chance. The rest will be based on the race development but if I see an opportunity I'll take it, I'll try.
    Read more: Alberto Contador: "It's not important for me whether I finish second or tenth"¯

RoadBikeReview Member
    goodness sakes.
    froome is a few minutes up on any contender, and looks at the ITT:
    a time trial with the two hills? now I believe in God.

it is favorable to contador, also - too bad contador will be on the course before froome - I think if contador hit the first check and knew he was one second off froome, that would be the blood in the water moment.

I think it is coming.

I am not a contador fan - but on the ITT, I have to admit that the overhead shots of him should be textbook for showing what your form should look like.

your text here
    Quote Originally Posted by PJay View Post
    I am not a contador fan - but on the ITT, I have to admit that the overhead shots of him should be textbook for showing what your form should look like.
    wha? every 6th pedal stroke he shifts his weight back on his saddle.

your text here
    finally saw stage 16. porte and froome may be very tired from the chase back on. i still think they are the top two, but if they go hellbent on winning (porte will be running time checks for froome, so will be gassed after the second summit), they risk leaving too few matchsticks for the rest of the week. remember, alpe is coming.
    twice.

does that make it a mutiple cylcogasm?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post
    wha? every 6th pedal stroke he shifts his weight back on his saddle.
    LA never did that. But then again, LA only had one nad to worry abt.

Contador keeps his torso from fishtailing, and keeps a steady, high cadence the whole way thru the end of race.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Well, it was dry for the front end of the peloton....it has started raining a bit, with the forecast for more rain.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Well, it was dry for the front end of the peloton....it has started raining a bit, with the forecast for more rain.
    Rain makes for great drama and viewing. I would not wish it on the riders, but I'll enjoy watching if it starts to come down.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Rain makes for great drama and viewing. I would not wish it on the riders, but I'll enjoy watching if it starts to come down.

Well BAM. Big old cloud burst....all the riders going through it on the downhill are going like they are riding brand new bikes and are trying clipless pedals for the first time.

Great news for Tejay who just finished with a new best time
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

gazing from the shadows
    It would be nice if Tejay's time holds up, even if it is because of the rain.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Watching Pierre Rolland descend in the rain, Sean Kelly had this to say: "My postman would be going faster."

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Days like this are when i wonder at no one ever racing with fenders...especially given that most bikes need ballast added to clear UCI weight limit.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

You Phillip mah census
    Contador is on a road bike with aerobars, for the start at least. Lots of talk about bike swaps.
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sir duke View Post
    Contador is on a road bike with aerobars, for the start at least. Lots of talk about bike swaps.
    he and froome are gonna both play it safe.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    It would be nice if Tejay's time holds up, even if it is because of the rain.
    Damn...Valverde just dumped his time. Ofc, the rain has also stopped.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

You Phillip mah census
    Quote Originally Posted by PJay View Post
    he and froome are gonna both play it safe.
    I think Froome will, Contador has to push it or stake everything on Alpe d'Huez.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    I hope if I ever get a fractured collar bone that I ride as well as Peraud with it.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

You Phillip mah census
    Quote Originally Posted by sir duke View Post
    I think Froome will, Contador has to push it or stake everything on Alpe d'Huez.
    Contador is pushing it, fastest at first check with Froome 2 seconds behind.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    In fact, he already said that coming in second is just the first loser and he doesn't care about anything other than winning. He'll risk his podium rather than playing it safe.¯
    I can see why it would say it, but I don't entirely believe that. Sometimes the second place guy ends up the eventual winner - e.g. Andy Schleck in 2010. Not something you really want to happen, but if the yellow jersey is untouchable second place is the next best. There's also the points for next year so the team cares about second, and the sponsor cares about podiums.
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

RoadBikeReview Member
    looks like schleck losing another 2 minutes from the podium, and looks like cadel giving up on podium dreams.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ukbloke View Post
    I can see why it would say it, but I don't entirely believe that. Sometimes the second place guy ends up the eventual winner - e.g. Andy Schleck in 2010. Not something you really want to happen, but if the yellow jersey is untouchable second place is the next best. There's also the points for next year so the team cares about second, and the sponsor cares about podiums.
    Yes - now that you mention it, I guess the best way to win is to ride clean and be near the top, and be patient.

RoadBikeReview Member
    mollema only losing two minutes, maybe 2 and a half.

he should end up in the top 7, or 8 overall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast