Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    He would be an amazing super-domestique if he'd only embrace it.
    I agree. Heís also a really solid one week stage racer (multiple GC wins and podiums) and has had his moments in grand tours, but seems to fare better as a stage hunter there. People sometimes miss this, but he has a pretty strong palmares overall. He has only really struggled as a protected grand tour leader.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 1 Week Ago at 10:56 AM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    EF Education First Pro Cycling isnít in bad shape on the GC & stage race front either. The combination of Uran (when healthy), Woods, TVG, and Martinez is nothing to sniff at. They also got Bettiol back. He should serve as a good helper if he can get back on track. They still have Sep Vanmarcke for the Classics and added James Whelan too. I am excited to see what they can do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like Tejay to EF/Slipsteam. He's needed a change of scenery for awhile and I think this can be a good fit.
    I agree that Tejay is a very good stage hunter and does well when he's not trying to be a GT GC rider. He's had some success in one week races.
    Also add Phinney to the classics riders as after this season it appears he's fully healthy again and able to do well in those races again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Lotto Soudal finally announces the worst kept secret in professional cycling.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cale...-lotto-soudal/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    CCC/BMC going after G. Thomas as a GC leader. Thatís gansta! You donít know unless you try.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ccc-...omas-for-2019/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    The Bauhaus signing has been officially announced. They added an experienced leadout man for good measure, which is a big loss for Ewan and Lotto Soudal. It sounds like the Rohan Dennis signing should be announced any day, but I wonder whether the new BMC/CCC partnership is trying to lure him back there now that they are stable and clearly looking for GC and stage racing talent.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bauh...rida-for-2019/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    I like Tejay to EF/Slipsteam. He's needed a change of scenery for awhile and I think this can be a good fit.
    I agree that Tejay is a very good stage hunter and does well when he's not trying to be a GT GC rider. He's had some success in one week races.
    I like TVG too, but he's never shown to be a good stage hunter other than some ITTs and his Giro stage win. Usually after he is out of the GC and in a break, he always seems to fade off.
    I hope he has a major rejuvenation at EF!
    I believe the children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not yet official, but it appears Jurgen Roelandts to Movistar is likely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Not yet official, but it appears Jurgen Roelandts to Movistar is likely.
    Wow, I hadn't heard anything about that one, but given the reported Lotto Soudal fallout, I am not surprised.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Dennis signing has been confirmed.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bahr...-rohan-dennis/

Also, Kung is headed to FDJ and Rolland to Vital Concepts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Verona to Movistar to support their three GC leaders and Debusschere to Katusha where he will focus more on the Classics instead of sprints. Both are quality signings.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vero...9-news-shorts/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Movistar confirmed they have signed Verona today.

If Katusha can figure out how to do anything Debusschere should have a chance in the classics.

I didn't post a link or the Jurgen Roelandts rumor because the only place it's being reported right now is maybe Belgium media (or at least one of those languages that I not only can't read, but can't differentiate either. Sorry for lack of knowledge of those languages).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I am still kind of blown away by Bahrain Meridaís potential lineup:

Nibali- GC
    Dennis- GC/TT/SD
    Teuns- TT/SD/GC (1 wk races)
    Caruso- TT/GC/SD
    Igazirre- stage hunter
    Igazirre- stage hunter
    Bauhaus- Sprints (flat)
    Colbrelli- Classics/sprints (hilly)
    Mohoric- stage hunter/GC/SD
    + a couple of young developmental guys with potential and handful of pure domestiques and leadout men.

They have had an impressive offseason to say the least. Excited to see them get after it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bahrain-Merida have put together a very impressive team and apparently their yearly budget is right about the average for most WT teams.

Interesting comments from Verona about signing with Movistar in an interview. He said that until Movistar called he was very likely staying where he was at. He said his reasons for joining Movistar are two basics reasons, one it was time to go home as even if you learn English very well you still miss a lot and the culture is very different and it was time to just go back to a Spanish team. He said the 2nd big reason was that had an opportunity to race with Contador a couple years ago and didn't take and basically regrets that decision. There was no way he was going to miss an opportunity to race with Valverde. He said he might have a chance to join Movistar at a later date, but that there is a possibility that in those 4 years Valverde may not still be racing and might actually retire. He could not pass up the opportunity to race with and learn from Valverde esp after missing that opporunity with Contador. He said anyone who is my age or younger have grown up with them and they are our heroes, you have to take the opportunity to race with your heroes if given the chance before it's too late.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Bahrain-Merida have put together a very impressive team and apparently their yearly budget is right about the average for most WT teams.

Interesting comments from Verona about signing with Movistar in an interview. He said that until Movistar called he was very likely staying where he was at. He said his reasons for joining Movistar are two basics reasons, one it was time to go home as even if you learn English very well you still miss a lot and the culture is very different and it was time to just go back to a Spanish team. He said the 2nd big reason was that had an opportunity to race with Contador a couple years ago and didn't take and basically regrets that decision. There was no way he was going to miss an opportunity to race with Valverde. He said he might have a chance to join Movistar at a later date, but that there is a possibility that in those 4 years Valverde may not still be racing and might actually retire. He could not pass up the opportunity to race with and learn from Valverde esp after missing that opporunity with Contador. He said anyone who is my age or younger have grown up with them and they are our heroes, you have to take the opportunity to race with your heroes if given the chance before it's too late.
    I definitely get where he is coming from. He's a Spaniard and it's an opportunity to race for the hometown team with people he knows and admires. Nothing wrong with that. I think Tejay has similar motivations. EF Pro Cycling HQ is literally in his backyard. I hope things go well for both of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I definitely get where he is coming from. He's a Spaniard and it's an opportunity to race for the hometown team with people he knows and admires. Nothing wrong with that. I think Tejay has similar motivations. EF Pro Cycling HQ is literally in his backyard. I hope things go well for both of them.
    Hadn't thought it about it, but I think you're right about at least some of Tejay's motivation for going to EF. It makes sense to want to race for your "home" team.
    Last year Landa made a similar comment about going to Movistar because he wanted to go home to race. Somewhere along the line said something about wanting to race with Valverde because Valverde is one of his heroes.
    With EF they've actually done some promoting as being the "American" team. I think some of that is also just trying to increase the US fan base. Who knows maybe getting Tejay will help a bit with their marketing.
    I agree, there's nothing wrong with wanting to race for your home team. I also hope the moves work for both of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Kreuziger to Dimension Data. Donít look now, but Dimension Data is actually building a competitive team (at least for the Ardennes). To be honest, at this moment, Kreuziger is probably their best GC option as well. He could probably compete at a decent level if protected. They need more though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmXxosZH...=1ecu6u6kbgcac

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Expect more Dimension Data signings in coming days apparently:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kreu...data-for-2019/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Tony Martin to Lotto NL Jumbo. They could be really strong as well. The pieces are there.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/t...bo-2019-391265

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Terpstra leaving Quickstep to go to Direct Energy and the Izagirre brothers are leaving Bahrain Merida possibly for UAE Emirates. I really didnít see either of these moves coming, but I guess they make sense given the sponsorship issues at Quickstep and all of the additions at BM. This means BM wonít have as much depth as I expected next year though. They still had a strong offseason, but losing these two will hurt a bit. I also think Terpstra is significant loss for QS if they exist next season. They have young guys developing and experienced cobbled racers like Gilbert and Stybar, but Terpstra could close the deal in a variety of one day races and guys like that are tough to replace.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I didn't see the Izagirre brothers headed to UAE. Although there was talking they may leave BM. There were are rumors they would like to return to Movistar, but won't go back as long as Quintana is there.

Agreed that Dimension Data is putting together an interesting team. Quickstep does need some sponsorship help, although it does sound like they will be there next year one way or another.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I didn't see the Izagirre brothers headed to UAE. Although there was talking they may leave BM. There were are rumors they would like to return to Movistar, but won't go back as long as Quintana is there.

Agreed that Dimension Data is putting together an interesting team. Quickstep does need some sponsorship help, although it does sound like they will be there next year one way or another.
    Hereís the info on the Igazirre brothers:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...da-boss-391447

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interesting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12