RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

Amstel Gold Race

Does anyone know if the Amstel Gold being shown on TV in the US?

Brian

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Not being shown on Versus or Universal Sports. An email received on Saturday from Cycling.tv suggests that they will have live streaming of Fleche Wallonne and LBL but no mention of Amstel Gold. Versus is showing Fleche Wallonne and LBL but a the week after the race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    that sux. Amstel Gold is a really great one to watch. Perhaps more exciting that LBL. I had pretty good luck catching a live feed on one of the interwebs. I'm so glad al gore hooked us up.

Fly on a windshield
    Quote Originally Posted by sbindra
    Not being shown on Versus or Universal Sports. An email received on Saturday from Cycling.tv suggests that they will have live streaming of Fleche Wallonne and LBL but no mention of Amstel Gold. Versus is showing Fleche Wallonne and LBL but a the week after the race.
    Cycling.tv just posted that they're going to have live audio for Amstel Gold. The last time they did that for the E3 Prijs, they later posted a 30 minute highlight video package. I'll be crossing my fingers that they're also going to have live video coverage.
    God gave up this world, its people long ago.....Peter Gabriel 1971

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MG537
    Cycling.tv just posted that they're going to have live audio for Amstel Gold. The last time they did that for the E3 Prijs, they later posted a 30 minute highlight video package. I'll be crossing my fingers that they're also going to have live video coverage.

I have not *yet* subscribed to Cycling TV this year with all the "problems" you can read about over on their message board.

Is the audio play-by-play any good?

Do they pull it in from another source (BBC..etc)? I guess because of a turn down in subscribers they can't afford to put up the video stream?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    if you go to cyclingfans.com you'll be able to watch a live feed on something other than cycling.tv. I paid for that garbage a couple years ago and always ended up watching on another site.
    Too bad vs won't handle amstel, cause it is an awesome race. I like amstel gold race more than lbl

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Visit steephill.tv (or cyclingfans.com) and they will have links. Don't worry, you'll be able to watch the race for free on your computer.

Amstel Gold is truly an awesome race -- it hits the Cauberg climb 3 times. Much more interesting to watch than L-B-L.
    2014 SuperSix Evo HM Sagan LE
    2011 SuperSix Hi-Mod
    2010 Stevens Carbon Cross
    2010 CAAD8 Cyclocross (sold)
    2009 SuperSix (retired)
    2008 SystemSix (sold)
    2008 SuperSix (retired)
    2006 Six13 (retired)
    2004 Bianchi Giro (sold)

Fly on a windshield
    Quote Originally Posted by nickel999
    I have not *yet* subscribed to Cycling TV this year with all the "problems" you can read about over on their message board.

Is the audio play-by-play any good?

Do they pull it in from another source (BBC..etc)? I guess because of a turn down in subscribers they can't afford to put up the video stream?
    The video feed is always from the host country, so Belgian races are always broadcast by "sporza", French races by TFx (where x=1 or 2 or 3 or...) etc...
    The audio or play by play is in English by Anthony or Martin McCrossan along with Brian Smith.
    Audio only is new this year since they couldn't negotiate the right to re-transmit the races over the internet (at least that's my understanding).
    E3 Prijs was audio only live, this year but they did put a 30 min. highlight package (audio and video) later on that same day.

As far as subscribers are concerned, I don't know what their worldwide numbers are like but there are many regional restrictions. Sometimes you see video available to North America only.

Their technical problems seem to be a thing of the past. At least where I live. They do have a high bit rate transmission which I can convert to full screen on my 24" iMac without too much degradation (not as good as universalsports.com mind you). I will suggest however to anybody thinking of subscribing, to wait 'till next year. Classics season is almost over and still we do not have a full schedule of the upcoming events (Tour de Suisse, Dauphiné Libéré etc..)
    What we know for sure is that they've secured the rights to Fléche Wallone and Liège-Bastogne-Liège.

P.S. I did get to catch the last 130km of Paris-Roubaix live (including sector 17, the Arenberg forest).
    God gave up this world, its people long ago.....Peter Gabriel 1971

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks MG!

I was a subscriber back about two years ago during the days of when they would do live commentary of the Giro and Vuelta probably during their "Peak Time" for subscribers.

You answered my one remaiing question which was at about what Kms do they begin with their live coverage. So it *looks like* they begin when Sporza and French 2..3..etc go live with their broadcasts which is positive thing.

Also, good to hear they have the tech problems solved.

* I might go ahead and do a three month sub. for the archives-not sure yet.

These days, living here in the east coast of USA and with the hodge podge of internet broadcasters I would almost pay for a subscription service right to Sporza as crazy as that might sound.