RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

Andy Schleck about La Flèche Wallone

"Why does nobody attack?" said Andy Schleck. "Why does everyone ride for second place, eh?
    Don't you find it funny to hear that from mr Wait I won't attack now but I have a plan ?

haole from the mainland
    When I read that article on cyclingnews, my thought was that he's been learning the wrong things from Cancellara.

But Andy has attacked. Remember chaingate? He attacked, screwed up his shifting, then complained Contador was unsportsmanlike when he responded to the attack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgy View Post
    But Andy has attacked. Remember chaingate?
    Right. When it was already way too late and after telling everybody he would attack exactly at this place. You may call it an attack. I call it an advertized acceleration.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Two things...

Remember LBL last year when Andy and Frank could have teamed up on Gilbert, yet they didn't?

And I guess Andy miss Hesjedal attacking while sitting in the back, pining for his brother...

Neither will ever win the Tour.
    formerly "backinthesaddle"

Strava is Latin for 'bench-racing"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Two things...

Remember LBL last year when Andy and Frank could have teamed up on Gilbert, yet they didn't?

And I guess Andy miss Hesjedal attacking while sitting in the back, pining for his brother...

I think it was frank that attacked last year with about 5k to go or so, gilbert just sat such a high tempo afterwards it was clear it was over. Frank spent an eternity just getting back on the wheel, he was done.
    I guess you missed Andys 10km attack yesterday and Franks flat at about the same time.
    Blows your hair back.

your text here
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    andy already won the tour.

by default.

i guess he proved sometimes coming in second will get you the cup. kinda like runner-up to miss america. although i dont wanna see him in the swimsuit competition.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Andy and Frank are no joke. Both have MANY wins, mostly earned with attacks resulting in solo finishes. It's easy to look at the screen and say they should have attacked. Most times it's just not that easy.
    Côte du Petit Pas d'Ane - Best climb name ever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Uh his solo on the Galibier was pretty awesome. I also thought his (ultimately unsuccessful) attack at Amstel last year was pretty brave.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Was he talking about the same race that had a pretty good attack at the end by Nordhaug and Hesjedal? That looked like they'd make it, but they got swallowed up so close to the finish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just took a look at both of their wikipedia pages and if you don't include the Luxembourg National Championships, they really don't have many race wins. AS = 8 + TdF overall and FS = 10 + 3 overalls. (not including TTT wins or Climber and Young rider jerseys) if wikipedia is correct

The attaching Thomas Voeckler has more than both of them combine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    While Voeckler has more wins, he'd be more than happy to trade his quantity for the Schleck brother's quality of victories (Amstel, Leige). Not to take anything away from TV, he's one of my favorite racers to watch.
    In the modern era most grand tour contenders don't rack up tons of wins unless they're Alberto Contador.

This space for sale
    Andy Schleck whinging and whining, what a surprise.
    Sometimes I ride my bike to nowhere, to see nothing, just so I can ride my bike.

waterproof*
    Merckx would have attacked.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

LA CHEVRE
    Andy's so weak so far this season (can barely finish races) that serious contenders at Flèche took his attack as seriously as one from a nobody from a Continental team... even that, at least, an unknown small team rider would commit to the attack, not look back and check where his brother is.

I think Andy's problem could be motivation, he doesn't look as passionate about cycling and really wanting to win as most successful big names riders... He seems to okay to just be there, get paid and too okay with second places at le Tour...

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

waterproof*
    John Wilcockson agrees with Andy.

Peloton
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Schmuck
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by davidka View Post
    Andy and Frank are no joke. Both have MANY wins, mostly earned with attacks resulting in solo finishes. It's easy to look at the screen and say they should have attacked. Most times it's just not that easy.
    Yes, genius....we know "its not easy." Neither is any other professional sport.

Call us crazy....but fans like to talk about the sport we like and critique the participants. Its part of the deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by RkFast View Post
    Call us crazy....but fans like to talk about the sport we like and critique the participants. Its part of the deal.
    So is getting called out for vastly unrealistic expectations. Fair enough?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidka View Post
    So is getting called out for vastly unrealistic expectations. Fair enough?
    Fair point...

Expecting an attack from Andy is just a realistic expectation as much as a North Korean missile attack on Washington DC.

Nothing to see here, people... just Andy being Andy.

Now, on a serious note... serious question, did Andy and his team attack? He can't complain about the peloton not chasing when he had a team to put a chase and if he saw the chance of winning.

OTOH... I was thinking the same at the Amstel. No one really attacked the escapees until very late in the race. Yeah, they caught them, so we could say that why attacking early when it could be done successfully later.
    "que nadie se crea que subimos todos estos puertos sólo a base de spaghetti" - Fernando Escartín

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridin'Sorra View Post
    ... did Andy and his team attack?
    yes he did
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T0mi View Post
    Right. When it was already way too late and after telling everybody he would attack exactly at this place. You may call it an attack. I call it an advertized acceleration.
    it wasn't too late, in fact Schleck was ahead of the Contador on GC. Saying "I will attack in the mountains" is not much of advertising. Schleck attacked Contador many times on Tourmalet later that year, unsuccessfully - even though he did win the TdF in 2010 after all.
    You all may be forgetting his solo breakaway attack last year. Schleck gets bad rap, he may not be an explosive rider like Contador or Gilbert but he tried last year and was beaten by Evans not because he didn't attack, but because Evans defended well and is a superior time trialist.