RoadBikeReview Member

Any reviews of the two new Merckx books?

After a long drought, two new books on Eddy Merckx are published within a month ( friebe and fotheringham)! Any reviews?
    Last edited by Fignon's Barber; 04-24-2012 at 10:50 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just got both of them but have only just read the introduction to Fotheringhams Merckx: Half Man, Half Bike. The introduction reads like it's gonna be a good book.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    I have read them both and they are both great reads. Friebe's book has a lot more input from his peers, but they are both good reads.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    inrng.com has read both IIRC.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I've just finished Fotheringham's Merckx book. I found it jumped about a bit in the time lines but it provided a really good backdrop to the Giro. Everyone is aware of the performance "culture" that permeated cycling during that period but the inter and more so intra national politics of the time were (and maybe still are) crazy. Thanks for bringing the books to my attention.