RoadBikeReview Member

Anyone else into the Lance Armstrong vids/podcast on WEDU?

I became a fan of the WEDU sports videos and podcasts last year, anyone else? Love him or hate him Lance really shines with his racing insight, last year there was a daily recap within a couple of hours of the finale of each stage of the TdF and it looks like they're going to start it back up with this year with a recap of the Dauphine and Tour De Suisse...https://youtu.be/iiwdZ7Kyol4
    I'm not looking to turn this into a doping discussion.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I've watched a few of his podcast on cycling and they're good as he does give some insights into the world of world tour pro racing. But I must admit at first I was shy of visiting his site because of his history with cycling. But now, I think I'm sort of ok, not that I have forgiven him. However, I must admit again that with how Froome and Sky are allowed to do what they do in cycling, I'm beginning to move to the camp that cries "give Lance his 7 back".

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I find his podcasts very interesting and informative. He can give good analysis of why/how a rider wins or loses a stage (or a tour) vs Bob Roll, who in my mind, has started to lose his s!t.

Road Warrior
    Lanceís podcasts of the last tour was entertaining especially given the absence of any real in depth race coverage in the good ole USA. I appreciated the insights he brings to the table, the discussions on strategy, teams and the stages; expanding on these topics would enhance the value of the podcasts. In addition, I felt that he often gave us a sanitary or political take on some of the events, being less constrained would be helpful, like when Sagan was kicked out of the race. The only detraction was his co-broadcaster who frequently asked a ton of stupid questions. I plan to listen in this year if they are available.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I havenít listened before, but might try it this year. I obviously donít love a number of the things Lance has done in the past and how those choices negatively impacted individuals, organizations, and pro cycling, but I see no reason why he shouldnít be allowed to comment on races and share his insights. I plan to give at least one episode a shot to see what I think.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 06-19-2018 at 12:45 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Iím with Rashad... But I struggle because the damage he did to cycling is both permanent and intractable. And maybe it just is what it is, doping being everywhere... Iíd like to get ďinsideĒ perspective? I can get past the doping, I canít get past the human wreckage he caused, the lives he damaged... The brutal damage a narcissistic personality disorder causes to people around it... Especially when it is a productive narcissist. I struggle with that, I struggle to reconcile the damage he has caused to people, for some of his victims, serious damage.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    His insight be damned, he doesn't get my support.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm with PBL450 on this with Lance. I can look past the doping. Heck my boy is a convicted doper who came back maybe stronger. My problem with Lance is all the other stuff and I can't look past that. Which is why I have a hard time considering listening to his podcasts. Now, I don't have a problem with him doing them as he should have great insight.
    This is why I'm glad Christian Vande Velde is getting more and more comfortable talking on air with his knowledge of the current peloton. I do understand he still has a bit of a reluctance to say too much about the guys whom are his friends who are still racing (I know he's mentioned both Valverde and Cavendish as friends). Last year at the Duaphine it was nice to see him start to be willing to tell stories. I hope this continues. His insights would be very welcome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    I'm with PBL450 on this with Lance. I can look past the doping. Heck my boy is a convicted doper who came back maybe stronger. My problem with Lance is all the other stuff and I can't look past that. Which is why I have a hard time considering listening to his podcasts. Now, I don't have a problem with him doing them as he should have great insight.
    This is why I'm glad Christian Vande Velde is getting more and more comfortable talking on air with his knowledge of the current peloton. I do understand he still has a bit of a reluctance to say too much about the guys whom are his friends who are still racing (I know he's mentioned both Valverde and Cavendish as friends). Last year at the Duaphine it was nice to see him start to be willing to tell stories. I hope this continues. His insights would be very welcome.
    you're right, he's still hesitant to tell everything because some of his friends are still racing. But my guess is as time goes on, as he has less and less friends who are active racers, Lance will start to divulge more and more in the podcasts. Right now, he just can't because he knows people will grill him again and call it hypocrisy (and probably rightfully so). Time heals many things eh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Now that his suit has been settled, I'm curious if he'll be more forthcoming with details of what went on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I watched this last year when it was listed under "Stages" on Youtube and thought his analysis of the various stages of the TdF was excellent (i.e. it more or less tied in with my views ) e.g. the final TT stage where Bardet got his gearing completely wrong and Froome got his completely right. Similarly LA's views on the Giro were interesting and well thought thru. I don't agree with some of the stuff talked about e.g. 2 week GTs (a 2 week GT is not a GT) and find the actual broadcasts a bit slow and labored. However LA's knowledge and his attention to detail are orders of magnitude above the stuff that the likes of Cyclingnews produce, so IMV it is a good addition the road racing "world"

RoadBikeReview Member
    There's no doubt he was ruthless, I think even he acknowledges and regrets it, but as far as insider sports coverage goes I like his perspective and thoughts on how races went down.
    I started to watch CVV when he first started announcing and he looked a little out of place but has definitely been getting much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Durt View Post
    Now that his suit has been settled, I'm curious if he'll be more forthcoming with details of what went on.
    I'm with you on that.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Russian Troll Farmer
    You know, it would be one thing if he had just been a 'doper', since back then, you essentially had to be to keep competitive. But when he started suing people who pointed out that he MUST be doping (due to blood epogin results that no normal human could possibly have), he lost me forever. He's not just a doper, he's a charlatan. It's sad that people today can't seem to tell the difference between those who may've told a lie or 2 and those who revel in lying (I'm not trying to be political here, but I guess some could construe it that way). For me, anybody who just lied like he did has forever lost my confidence. I frankly wish he would just STFU and slip into obscurity.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    You know, it would be one thing if he had just been a 'doper', since back then, you essentially had to be to keep competitive. But when he started suing people who pointed out that he MUST be doping (due to blood epogin results that no normal human could possibly have), he lost me forever. He's not just a doper, he's a charlatan. It's sad that people today can't seem to tell the difference between those who may've told a lie or 2 and those who revel in lying (I'm not trying to be political here, but I guess some could construe it that way). For me, anybody who just lied like he did has forever lost my confidence. I frankly wish he would just STFU and slip into obscurity.
    That's just the other extreme in my opinion (opposite of loving him unconditionally). Who gets to decide who must to "slip into obscurity" and what the criteria are for deciding who is banished and for how long? Look, humans sometimes do and justify horrible things. That doesn't mean they don't ever get to share the opinion on topics or speak publicly ever again just because they did. Like I said before, I am nowhere near being a Lance fan, never have been given the time I started following the sport, but I recognize that he's as entitled as the next guy/gal is to share his thoughts and if people enjoy the insight, so be it. Don't let other people's ugliness make you reveal your own.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    That's just the other extreme in my opinion (opposite of loving him unconditionally). Who gets to decide who must to "slip into obscurity" and what the criteria are for deciding who is banished and for how long? Look, humans sometimes do and justify horrible things. That doesn't mean they don't ever get to share the opinion on topics or speak publicly ever again just because they did. Like I said before, I am nowhere near being a Lance fan, never have been given the time I started following the sport, but I recognize that he's as entitled as the next guy/gal is to share his thoughts and if people enjoy the insight, so be it. Don't let other people's ugliness make you reveal your own.
    No Time Toulouse isn't showing any ugliness, he just isn't an Holocaust Denier, so to speak.
    Too old to ride plastic

Where's that GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    His insight be damned, he doesn't get my support.
    +1 - The thought of hearing him talk makes me sick. Listening to his podcast or taking part in anything that might lead to his gradual repatriation is the furthest thing from my mind.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

"Treks trying to look like Bianchis, that's sooooo cute!" Participant at a Century Ride

Sweet Potato Kugel
    His pod cast is okay.
    Last edited by Eretz; 07-09-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm in the "He's a douchebag and I'm not supporting anything he does" camp.
    "Why I oughta..."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    The podcast is great. You get to listen to the perspective from someone who has been there and done it all. O started listening last year and found it much more interesting than last year's tour - which was the least interesting one for me in the few yers I have been watching.
    This is year is off to a good start and I have listened to his first two and will likely listen to most if not all of the podcasts after the stage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    his podcasts this year so far have been much less interesting than last year. I'm probably won't make it a point to listen to them this year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    his podcasts this year so far have been much less interesting than last year. I'm probably won't make it a point to listen to them this year.
    I'm inclined to agree. Last year it seems his post race commentary was concise and deeply informative. Like 11-15 minutes. excellent entertainment product

this year he's piled on with the touting of his sponsored products and inane details of his current life, and just not so much commentary on the race and the pros. The runtime of his podcast is like 30-45 minutes, and he doesn't get around to discussing he race until 10 minutes in! It's a not very digestible product now, sadly
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    you have a good point. I listened to him last year because it was novel. This year I'm not, partly because 1) he's rambling to much now, 2) pushes his sponsored products, 3) I'm disenfranchised with pro cycling doping in general so I actually don't follow the races (other then looking up the results after each race). Pro cycling has lost me.