Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

Anyone see what I saw at the finish. Not the crash.

Cavendish's domination is over. Lead out train made just for him this year. Last year no. I didn't see him losing today due to his lead out collapsing. 2 years ago he would have cleaned Greipel's clock in the same race. The missile's comp is getting stiffer too.
    Bash away if you don't agree but that's the way I see it.

Get me to In&Out
    You saw him with a leadout inside of 1km? I sure didn't. I saw him on Kittle's wheel and then the dude who crashed. I don't think the heart was in the lead out from OPQS today as Tony Martin was sitting up for the ITT tomorrow and Chavenel put in a pretty hard effort right before the finish. I find it funny that it is more of a story when someone beats Cavendish than when he wins. He sprinted very unsmart today. That is a fact, but he in no way has lost his speed.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    You saw him with a leadout inside of 1km? I sure didn't. I saw him on Kittle's wheel and then the dude who crashed. I don't think the heart was in the lead out from OPQS today as Tony Martin was sitting up for the ITT tomorrow and Chavenel put in a pretty hard effort right before the finish. I find it funny that it is more of a story when someone beats Cavendish than when he wins. He sprinted very unsmart today. That is a fact, but he in no way has lost his speed.
    Actually its pretty clear he as sacrificed his tope end speed in an effort to get over the MTNs better in hopes of contending with Sagan for green esp withe the intermediate sprints weighted more. Clearly thats not working and you can see it because he is not winning the intermediate sprints either.

your text here
    spooky speaks the truth.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Griple is the fastest by far in top end speed in this tour.

Not Banned
    Last year Cav won 3 stages w/ out a lead out

He has 1 so far. In 2 of the sprints this year he has been too far out of position and he and his team have burned too many matches getting him into position. He'd be better off playing Robby McEwen and grabbing Griepel's wheel. OPQS has failed thus far as far as positioning him to win. I think Chava and Martin were saving something for today
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by respro View Post
    Cavendish's domination is over. Lead out train made just for him this year. Last year no. I didn't see him losing today due to his lead out collapsing. 2 years ago he would have cleaned Greipel's clock in the same race. The missile's comp is getting stiffer too.
    Who will we hate now?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Would OPQS be signing Renshaw if they were satisfied with their train?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    The Gorrilla is just a F'in beast. Kittel also. Look at their freaking legs. They are like the Dolph Lungren of Rocky. "I'll break you" Built by German scientists to win sprints.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    i saw a cav more determined to get over the mountains, and a stage with a diminished lead out with Tony Martin and Chavanel holding back. I also saw good on the road tactics by Argos, which neutralized sagan and cav.
    I'd say cav still has all the speed he's ever had, but the most hotly contended sprint comptetition in the history of the tour, by far.
    4 teams with no other objectives than sprint or green, and Orica. No split duties helping the yellow jersey, or helping out another guy win a transitional stage. Awesome stuff in my opinion.
    I see 4 of the top sprinters, at their very best, doing very well. This tour is not over, and I see Cav, Sagan, Griepel and Kittel with multiple stages each.
    The fastest is sagan, although he didn't hit the line first, the day Greipel won.
    I think next year, they'll look back at the sprinting from this year, and enhance it, so the green jersey will be contested with more points on hand at the finish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    IMHO, Cav is not at his best but he is still one of the very best sprinters. Others are coming along who will challenge him but (again IMHO) for this TdF he might be better off going freelance at the end of the stage (like he had to do much of last year) rather than rely on the OPQS train. For whatever reason, that just doesn't seem to be working.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I thought that steegmans looked pretty strong, although not in a lead out sort of way. Cav should freelance, if they can't get the lead out right immediatly, and i'm sure he's licking his chops for next year with Renshaw, if the reports are true. I'm sure there will be more changes, with new guys coming one strong. Kristoff, Hutarovich, and the french guy that dominated the tour of belgium may come of age to pack the field with sprinters. I also don't think Kittel and Degenkolb can coexist. I also think that Goss is finished, and another aussie will come of age from nowhere.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    So much false information in this thread.

1) He didn't win 3 stages without a lead out last year. He won one stage without a lead out. Sky lead out for him on stages 18 and 20. 18 wasn't a classic lead out and Cav deserves a lot of credit for free-lancing the last 500 meters or so. But they wouldn't have caught the breakaway if it wasn't for the Wiggins and Bossen Hoggen leading Cav. Cav eventually lost Bossen Hoggen's wheel, though. Stage 20 was a pure Sky train, working as well as any of the HTC trains.

2) Cav DID have a lead out man on stage 10. I can't find a youtube video of it on quick notice. But around 500 m before the finish, Steegmans (Cav's leadout man) goes to the very front of the peloton. Cav was right behind him. And I don't mean near the front. He went to the very front of the peloton. Cav could have tucked in behind his wheel and gotten the proper lead out. Instead, he tried to fit in behind Griepel, but ended up behind Veelers instead.

I have absolutely no idea what Cav was thinking or why he would reject a proper lead out. But he did.

OK, I found video: Controversal Finish to Stage 10 (2013/tour-de-france)

Screen caps:
    In this first one, you can see OPQ making their move on the left. Steegman is in front of Cav.

In this next one, you see Steegmans at the very front of the Peloton, but Cav is trying to get on Griepel's wheel instead (and failing, because Veelers wouldn't give up that position. So instead of being behind Steegmans at 2nd wheel, he's behind Veelers at 5th wheel. As of this screen cap, Lotto has two guys in front of Griepel, but the first guy is about to peel off for Henderson to lead out. Steegmans then looks back, realizes that Cav isn't on his wheel and sits up.

Last edited by gusmahler; 07-10-2013 at 12:23 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gusmahler View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what Cav was thinking or why he would reject a proper lead out. But he did.
    Cav stated in one of the post race interviews that Steegmans went too early and that Cav knew he couldn't last that distance behind Steegmans so he decided to grab another wheel.

(and Stage 18, 2012 is in no accepted sense a sprinter's lead out.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    I think they are havingtrouble with the lead out, but that should be fixed next year.

Renshaw To Ride For Omega Pharma-Quick-Step In 2014 | Cyclingnews.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    The Gorilla has a better train. The Gorilla is in great form. The Gorilla isn't afraid of Cav.
    Cav will have to raise his game. Can he? Fascinating.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by albert owen View Post
    The Gorilla has a better train. The Gorilla is in great form. The Gorilla isn't afraid of Cav.
    Cav will have to raise his game. Can he? Fascinating.
    The Gorilla got crushed by Marcel Kittel, who now has more stage wins than anybody in this year's TdF.

But you're right that this is fascinating. After stage 5, I thought Cav was a lock for 5 stage wins.

After stage 6, I thought that the lesson learned was "you can't catch Griepel with a proper lead-out if you start two bike lengths behind him." Then Kittel did exactly that in stage 10.

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by respro View Post
    How many more stage wins will it take to prove you wrong?

a) more than any other sprinter
    b) two, even if someone else also gets two
    c) two plus champs elysees
    d) it's over...unless Cav wins the rest of the sprint stages
    Last edited by Local Hero; 07-11-2013 at 06:47 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Smoke screen. All else being equal, if he, Greipel, Sagan, Kittel and whoever else
    are lined up 150 meters from the finish with no obstacle and all healthy, Cav gets
    to the line first. This fact has not changed.
    All I said was that our son, the apple of our three eyes, Martha being a cyclops, our son is a beanbag, and you get testy!

downhill quickly
    May 2007

Stop the speculation here...

...clearly, Specialized marketing is to blame for the manx missile sputters. Cav is looking for motorcycles to lead him in.

Brian Holm provided a picture of Gert Steegmans arse to Cav this morning and said “follow this”.

Better results are expected on today's stage 12.

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    Kittel is killing it.

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post
    ...clearly, Specialized marketing is to blame for the manx missile sputters. Cav is looking for motorcycles to lead him in.

Brian Holm provided a picture of Gert Steegmans arse to Cav this morning and said “follow this”.

Better results are expected on today's stage 12.
    *UPDATE* Brian Holm admitted a mistake was made after the stage saying the picture he showed to Cav was not of Steegmans arse but rather Kittle's impossibly massive 190 lb 6'2" sprinters frame. Steegmans is currently in photo shoot sessions to ensure ample pictures are now available even though Holm's was heard saying; "it's over!"

Travels by Map
    Greipel, Sagan, and Kittel did not ride the Giro, right?

It could be hurting Cavendish in the Tour de France to have also ridden the Giro, but I see why he rode the Giro since it got him the points jersey in the only grand tour where he hadn't yet won the points.

Kittel is sprinting really well.

Where's that GPS?
    Cav can make as many excuses as he likes, but he has been riding sub-par during this TdF with a team committed to his success. Sagan only needs to fear Kittel at this point.

Cav will come back - he is still the world's best sprinter - but this TdF is a wash.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
    Cav can make as many excuses as he likes,
    What excuses? Cav said after today's stage that he was beaten fair and square. Doesn't sound like an excuse to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast