Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    not endearing endorsement for the Strada when the team is blasting it.
    I wonder if Aqua Blue will be riding a different bike next season. Sounds like they're begging 3T to terminate them!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    It appears like that in addition to getting chain drop problems because of clutch tension failures, the team and the mechanics don’t like the extra workload of having to change chainrings (and sometimes cassettes) as well as chain lengths depending on the terrain of the stage .... and having to do this for every bike including spares

There is certainly a big push for 1x from some suppliers and sponsored “YouTube” channels and some pushback from others. Who knows? Maybe it’s OK for flat-ish or reasonably undulating stuff but not up to the demands of the alpine GT-type stages with extreme ascents, descents and valleys in between where you need low gears, high gears and also close gears for some of the valley sections

It certainly doesn’t seem to be giving any gains (marginal or otherwise) to Aqua Blue

Adorable Furry Hombre

LOL...hear I keep hearing about how 1X solves dropped chains. Funny that.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Who says that? 1x drivetrains were the reason clutch derailers were invented. They will almost always be worse at chain retention then a bike with a FD.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Who says that? 1x drivetrains were the reason clutch derailers were invented. They will almost always be worse at chain retention then a bike with a FD.

Lots of 1x evangelist types. RBR tends not to see it as much, due to its low traffic. BikeForums and cycling reddit subs see it a fair bit, both have more traffic in an afternoon than RBR sees in a week.

Then again...cynics do say that the reason 1x is being hawked by SRAM is because SRAM can't make an FD shift decently (cxwrench will come at me in 5...4...3...2...)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Lots of 1x evangelist types. RBR tends not to see it as much, due to its low traffic. BikeForums and cycling reddit subs see it a fair bit, both have more traffic in an afternoon than RBR sees in a week.

Then again...cynics do say that the reason 1x is being hawked by SRAM is because SRAM can't make an FD shift decently (cxwrench will come at me in 5...4...3...2...)
    None of those guys are mtbrs I guess. Otherwise they would remember countless threads of "how do I keep my chain on my 1x drivetrain?" And the numerous devices to do so (before NW chainrings and clutches we're a thing).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have any of you guys owned a 1x drive train, road or MTB?

I have been riding a 1x MTB for almost 10 years and I recently purchased the 3T Strada and have about 2000 miles logged.

I have never dropped the chain on the MTB. I did drop the chain on the Strada when I bunny hopped a curb, other than that it has been great.

I love the bike, but if my livelyhood was determined by a bike I would want it to be flawless so I can understand why the AquaBlue lads are upset. I think it was Cancellara that lost a race because of his early Di2 and the subsequent maligning of that product. Look where that has gone.

I will continue to live happily in my 1x universe, you guys can feel free to pursue your theories. But until you swing a leg over the Strada for an extended period you will never really know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I don't have any real details, but based on the description, it sounds like the bike itself is fine. The problem send to be related to the integrity of the SRAM RD.

I have a SRAM 1x setup on one bike (mechanical), and I don't love it. All of my other bikes are some flavor of Di2.

The mechanical 1x shifts well enough most of the time, but If my livelihood depended on my bike, I would not choose SRAM ( if I had a choice).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    They do if its a narrow-wide chainring. Anyone know if they're using these? I haven't actually checked. I tried 1x on my mtb on the stock 2x crank and the chain dropped constantly. After throwing on a proper 1x crank I've never had a dropped chain even without the clutch on.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    I will continue to live happily in my 1x universe, you guys can feel free to pursue your theories. But until you swing a leg over the Strada for an extended period you will never really know.
    I'm honestly not sure the Strada is legal in the USA to consumers....BMC just had to do a recall of tight-tire-clearance TT-bikes due to...guess what...lack of tire clearance. Chatting about it on Reddit and I gather there's statutory law about required tire clearance in the USA (something like at least 5mm)

https://cpofficial.com/bmc-announce-...earance-issue/

And the Strada doesn't look like it has much more room. Someone wants to front me the $$$$ for a Strada I'll happily throw a leg over it. No way in hell am I paying sticker for that frameset.

Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    They do if its a narrow-wide chainring. Anyone know if they're using these? I haven't actually checked. I tried 1x on my mtb on the stock 2x crank and the chain dropped constantly. After throwing on a proper 1x crank I've never had a dropped chain even without the clutch on.

Ofc....pro team mechanics...I'd think even if 3T/SRAM didn't provide wide/narrow rings (a monumentally stupid thing for SRAM not to do), they'd get them themselves.

https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.c...2/IMG_1430.jpg

Looks narrow-wide to me. And the reviewer says as such. From:

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/02/aqua...norman-hansen/

http://yaffa-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/ya...8423692_n2.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    3T have just announced the Strada Due and, yes, it is a 2x !,

https://mailchi.mp/3t.bike/new-bike-...s?e=408d39aca5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12