Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Aqua Blue Sports' New Bikes!

Whoa, I did not see this one coming at all. The luddites and traditionalists are going to lose it over this one. Pass the popcorn....

Aqua Blue Sport to compete on 3T Strada disc bike with 1x drivetrain in 2018 | Cyclingnews.com
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Wow, I guess they don't have any sprinters on that team? And just don't expect to compete in steep climbs or on fast downhill attacks?

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Wow, I guess they don't have any sprinters on that team? And just don't expect to compete in steep climbs or on fast downhill attacks?
    Their gear range should be fine.

The bike uses the new Sram XDR freehub body, so there's no lockring on the cassette and they can go as low as a 9 tooth cog. They can make the large cog as large as they want too. 3T is making custom cassettes.

Problem is the gaps between the gears.

I like the team a lot, I hope this works out for them.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Seems like the Luddites were right. 12 gears are more than plenty
    Blows your hair back.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Ha! That's a good 'un, den bakker.

One of the guys in my club is the Scandinavian rep for 3T. He's talking about a rather wonky 12 speed cassette, with an "overdrive" 9 toooth cog and a "granny" 40, and 10 more normally spaced gears between.
    Interesting bike, the 3T Strada. Like a mutant Cervélo S5.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice to see someone other than Specialized daring to be different in the markeplace.

Hey I raced on 12 and 14 gears, as did all the pros in the late 80s early 90s - as that was with effectively only 8 unique gears due to overlap. They should be able to manage the gearing needs, albeit need to change them to suit each race. And I think they will need 2x11 climbing bikes still if they want to do grand tours - but the teams have separate climbing bikes already anyways.

will be interesting to see if the team actually tries to prove the hype of the large dia tire being more aero and lower rolling resistance - despite being heavier.

but oh my the Strada is odd looking and priced extremely high, S-Works territory for a company new to making frames (iirc)

Adorable Furry Hombre
    So Team Aqua Blue is sporting...red bikes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    Nice to see someone other than Specialized daring to be different in the markeplace.

Hey I raced on 12 and 14 gears, as did all the pros in the late 80s early 90s - as that was with effectively only 8 unique gears due to overlap. They should be able to manage the gearing needs, albeit need to change them to suit each race. And I think they will need 2x11 climbing bikes still if they want to do grand tours - but the teams have separate climbing bikes already anyways.

will be interesting to see if the team actually tries to prove the hype of the large dia tire being more aero and lower rolling resistance - despite being heavier.

but oh my the Strada is odd looking and priced extremely high, S-Works territory for a company new to making frames (iirc)
    But if they go with 3T as a bike sponsor, this and the Exploro are their only options. The company doesn't produce a pure lightweight climbing bike. I guess they could also use the Open U.P. since basically the same people own that company too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    So Team Aqua Blue is sporting...red bikes?
    C'mon man, their kits aren't even aqua blue. You also know most teams paint their bikes to match their kits each season anyway. For the record though, Lotto NL Jumbo's Bianchi's don't match their kits either.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    C'mon man, their kits aren't even aqua blue. You also know most teams paint their bikes to match their kits each season anyway. For the record though, Lotto NL Jumbo's Bianchi's don't match their kits either.
    Their bibs are blue, at least. I will say...whomever designed their (2017) kits deserves a raise. Classy. Minimal. Easily spotted. Home run of kit design. Were it not for the cost, I might consider getting a kit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    But if they go with 3T as a bike sponsor, this and the Exploro are their only options. The company doesn't produce a pure lightweight climbing bike. I guess they could also use the Open U.P. since basically the same people own that company too.
    some have suggested they might go to rebranded Cervelo for climbing bikes that can fit a 2x drivetrain. being as the 3T bike maker was co founder of Cervelo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Their bibs are blue, at least. I will say...whomever designed their (2017) kits deserves a raise. Classy. Minimal. Easily spotted. Home run of kit design. Were it not for the cost, I might consider getting a kit.
    What do you consider expensive for a cycling jersey?

They seem to be fairly inexpensive as team jerseys go. ~$53 US (44 euros)

https://www.aquabluesport.com/clothi...essential-line

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    some have suggested they might go to rebranded Cervelo for climbing bikes that can fit a 2x drivetrain. being as the 3T bike maker was co founder of Cervelo
    That would be interesting to see a pro team have a sponsorship/supply agreement with two different bike companies. While he helped create Cervelo, it's now owned by Pon Holdings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    it is not uncommon at all for pro teams to purchase rival components and frames, then whitewash them or black out logos.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    What do you consider expensive for a cycling jersey?

They seem to be fairly inexpensive as team jerseys go. ~$53 US (44 euros)

https://www.aquabluesport.com/clothi...essential-line
    Derp. I was thinking the pre-Brexit exchange rates.

Forever a Student
    Wish they would have sponsored a different team to be honest.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Derp. I was thinking the pre-Brexit exchange rates.
    the dollar is playing catchup better hurry ;)
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    it is not uncommon at all for pro teams to purchase rival components and frames, then whitewash them or black out logos.
    Not frames, not these days. Bike sponsors contribute too much to the operation now. They're not going for that.

Forever a Student
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Sadly, this team isn't getting much respect from the race organizers...

https://twitter.com/RickDelaneyABS/s...729728/photo/1

I was kinda pulling for them to be successful, if for no other reason than they are willing to buck tradition a bit.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Sadly, this team isn't getting much respect from the race organizers...

https://twitter.com/RickDelaneyABS/s...729728/photo/1

I was kinda pulling for them to be successful, if for no other reason than they are willing to buck tradition a bit.
    Well that is crap.

I guess the ASO and UCI expect 8-rider limits to make things interesting on non-mountain stages....Yea I'll call BS on that one right now.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    As soon as two Spanish continental teams moved up to the Pro Continental level any hope they had for a bid to la Vuelta disappeared. La Vuelta prefers to take "home" teams as their wild card teams and Cofidis is one of la Vuelta's main sponsors, plus they signed the Herrada brothers during the transfer season. Thus the 4 invites to la Vuelta. Giro is similar in typically preferring Italian wild card teams over anyone else. Also both of those races rely much more heavily on their home fans than international fans whereas the Tour is more international but still prefers French teams for Wild Card invites. Also Tour of California is going to give wild cards to US based teams if they can and 3 US based Continental teams moved up to the Pro Continental team level during the off season.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Well that is crap.

I guess the ASO and UCI expect 8-rider limits to make things interesting on non-mountain stages....Yea I'll call BS on that one right now.
    They ride LBL (organized by those meanie beanie ASO), Amstel, tour de suisse, and quite some HC races this spring.
    16 on the european tour ranking.
    Not sure what they expected.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For the few folks who will wander in and read this, I would like to give a quick review on the 3T Strada that Aquablue is riding.
    I have taken delivery of my own Strada and find it superior in every way to my previous steed. (Wilier Cento10 Air)
    I was really worried about the gearing but after much deliberation I settled on a 48t up front and an 11-40 in the rear. In over 400 miles I have never lacked for a gear. Yes the step up between gears is bigger but I was used to it after the first ride.
    Handling and ride on the 28mm tyres is phenomenal, along with the disc brakes it makes for a very confidence inspiring and planted ride.
    I know that there is always a placebo effect with a new steed but when the blokes I have been riding with for eons are complaining about the speed, you know there is something real happening. One of the amigos threw a leg over my bike for 15 minutes and ordered his own that very afternoon. It really must be experienced to appreciate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Blows your hair back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast