Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Armstrong in the Tour de France

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Bocephus Jones II 
#1 ·
This was just posted in www.cyclingnews.com

Armstrong will ride Tour 2005

After much speculation, Lance Armstrong finally announced his initial 2005 racing schedule, one that will include this summer's Tour de France where he will go for a seventh straight victory.

"I look forward to achieving my goal of a seventh Tour de France (victory)," said Armstrong to thepaceline.com. "I am excited to get back on the bike and start racing although my condition is far from perfect," he added.

Also on Armstrong's racing schedule is the Tour de Georgia in April, an event the American won in 2004. As already confirmed, Armstrong will kick off his season early next month at Paris-Nice, a seven day stage race and the first event of the newly formed Pro Tour. Following Paris-Nice, Armstrong will take part in the 89th edition of the Tour of Flanders, one of Europe's most prestigious Spring Classics, on April 3. Armstrong last raced in the Tour of Flanders in 2002, finishing 59th in support of his team's leader. Armstrong will then return to the U.S. and defend his title at the Tour de Georgia, scheduled for April 19-25.

"Johan (Bruyneel, the team's sports manager) and I will evaluate my fitness later this spring and possibly add some races to the calendar," said Armstrong.

See less See more
#2 ·
polishhammer said:
This was just posted in www.cyclingnews.com

Armstrong will ride Tour 2005

After much speculation, Lance Armstrong finally announced his initial 2005 racing schedule, one that will include this summer's Tour de France where he will go for a seventh straight victory.

"I look forward to achieving my goal of a seventh Tour de France (victory)," said Armstrong to thepaceline.com. "I am excited to get back on the bike and start racing although my condition is far from perfect," he added.

Also on Armstrong's racing schedule is the Tour de Georgia in April, an event the American won in 2004. As already confirmed, Armstrong will kick off his season early next month at Paris-Nice, a seven day stage race and the first event of the newly formed Pro Tour. Following Paris-Nice, Armstrong will take part in the 89th edition of the Tour of Flanders, one of Europe's most prestigious Spring Classics, on April 3. Armstrong last raced in the Tour of Flanders in 2002, finishing 59th in support of his team's leader. Armstrong will then return to the U.S. and defend his title at the Tour de Georgia, scheduled for April 19-25.

"Johan (Bruyneel, the team's sports manager) and I will evaluate my fitness later this spring and possibly add some races to the calendar," said Armstrong.
I kind of figured he would be going for a 7th this year. As Ulrich said, when I am waiting to go off at the Prolouge and I do not see Lance behind me, then I definetly know he is not racing. I think he is just too competitive to sit back and watch. I also thought that is Discovery put all that $$ out to sponsor them for the next 3 years, that Lance would almost be obligated.

He could win Paris Nice, The Giro and Vuelta all in this year, but if he doesn't do and win the Tour de France, the general non-racing Americans don't care.

#5 ·
Great to see

I couldn't imagine how he would have been able to take a year off of the Tour and do it next year; I mean he's gettin' freakin' old!

And didn't he say on Oprah that he's going to retire really soon, go on to do other things? That's going to take getting used to, knowing we won't see him line up any more..

hrv

#6 ·
I can't wait until Armstrong retires - domination is dull. But I'm glad to see that he's racing the Tour this year b/c then when he (hopefully) gets beaten, the winner will not have to deal with the speculation "Well, if Armstrong was there..."

Chances are, he'll win again, but who knows? Maybe Basso has grown some balls over the off-season and will race for the win. Don't think Landis will be a real contender this year, but it should make things interesting in the mountains to have him racing against Armstrong. T-Mob will have the usual problems of riding for Jan instead of whomever is most deserving (what could have happened last year if they rode from the start for Klodi?)

And while Armstong is moving away from his prime years, others are just coming into them: Menchov, Karpets, Rogers, Mancebo, Totschnig are all proven talents in TDF who could have a breakthrough year. I'd love to see one of the new generation take the title from Armstrong rather than merely inherit it when he retires.

#8 ·
Not surprised at all that his spring season talk was just that - talk. Why mess with a winning formula? But I am glad he's doing Georgia - US races need the media help his presence brings, while he's really just a distraction at the monuments. Especially for OLN coverage - they'd rather talk about his freaking girlfriend than cover what's happening on the road!

I bet Disco's Classics team is breathing a big sigh of relief - I doubt they were looking forward to Lancey's media circus messing with their races, and I have a hard time believing he'd ride in support of another rider.

I loved Beltran's frosty responses to the media at La Vuelta presentation when reporters were asking if it was a good course for Armstrong. He basically said, "don't know, don't care - ask me about the Vuelta or myself, not Armstrong." Gotta be tough to be one of the best riders in the world and only get questions about someone else, but I guess they get paid well for it.

And he'll be gone soon enough.

#9 ·
peterpen said:
I can't wait until Armstrong retires - domination is dull. But I'm glad to see that he's racing the Tour this year b/c then when he (hopefully) gets beaten, the winner will not have to deal with the speculation "Well, if Armstrong was there..."

Chances are, he'll win again, but who knows? Maybe Basso has grown some balls over the off-season and will race for the win. Don't think Landis will be a real contender this year, but it should make things interesting in the mountains to have him racing against Armstrong. T-Mob will have the usual problems of riding for Jan instead of whomever is most deserving (what could have happened last year if they rode from the start for Klodi?)

And while Armstong is moving away from his prime years, others are just coming into them: Menchov, Karpets, Rogers, Mancebo, Totschnig are all proven talents in TDF who could have a breakthrough year. I'd love to see one of the new generation take the title from Armstrong rather than merely inherit it when he retires.

i think floyd will finish in the top 10. i think he is almost there, but what and how will his team be. lance still has a stacked team that will be tough in the mtns. but, floyd can climb and tt very well.

#10 ·
Dwayne Barry said:
Just follow all the other races he doesn't do :)

What an aggressive spring schedule; Paris-Nice and Flanders. After all the hype, it's looking like it will be the same old, same old from Armstrong this year.
really....I like watching Armstrong dominate. I can't imagine the pressure that he has knowing everyone expects him to win--and he always seems to deliver. Here's hoping we have a tour more like the 2003 one--where Lance struggles a bit--rather than just walking away with it as soon as the race hits the mountains as he usually does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.