Thread: Big Al

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Big Al

Is it me or is Al Trautwig a lot less annoying than in the previous two years? I actually don't cringe when he speaks, nor do my eyes bulge at one of his questions. I guess he has turned the corner on cycling.

For president!
    I agree.

I don't particularly like him, but I no longer have any big objections. The morning coverage this year is really all I could ask for.

Silas

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005

yes...

Glad you mentioned this....i said it yesterday to my wife. He is much more knowledgeable than previous years. He even picked Thor for the prologue win....all the guys were heckling him on his pick.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by goose127
    Is it me or is Al Trautwig a lot less annoying than in the previous two years? I actually don't cringe when he speaks, nor do my eyes bulge at one of his questions. I guess he has turned the corner on cycling.
    If he'd stop saying "Bob Key" and Hincapie would stop saying "Thhore" I'd be happier.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

your text here
    i am one of the biggest objectors to the traut...

that being said, i, too, mentioned to my wife uesterday that he isnt as annoying. maybe he was always tryin to impress kirsten gumm...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    If he'd stop saying "Bob Key" and Hincapie would stop saying "Thhore" I'd be happier.
    Are you ever happy about anything
    Just because I understand doesn't mean I care!
    - From my beer koozie

Anti-Americanism is the principle zeitgeist of our times.

- the rydster

Sometimes your answer is as simple as looking down and noticing your own feet for the first time.
    - Snakebit

AJL
    Eh, he probably isn't allowed to say Boob-ka on tv. Imagine if he had to refer to him as his cycling buddies do - Booby, that's go over real great with the network execs, lol!

PS Yes, he is much less annoying this year - which may be good because I think Phil is starting to lose it abit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh he went backward last night. While the cameras were on Egoi Martinez getting attended to at the medical car he felt the need to say that Martinez was getting a free ride and holding onto the car for an excessive amount of time. WTF is he supposed to do Al? First he crashes, then he is supposed to continue pedalling while they attend to him at the medical car? Has he ever actually paid attention to the race before, nobody rides while being attended to by the tour doctors. The guy is and will always be a loser. Lets face it they do not need him. Only some idiot TV exec who knows next to nothing about bicycle racing would think they need this oral klutz as the show "anchor".

your text here

might have been stolen from phil...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeman
    Oh he went backward last night. While the cameras were on Egoi Martinez getting attended to at the medical car he felt the need to say that Martinez was getting a free ride and holding onto the car for an excessive amount of time.
    i watched the original morning coverage and phil commentated on that. but with phil it was more of a passing, "and he's holding on to the medical car there. he might wanna be careful about holding on too long, but the race directors probably wont mind as it's the doctor and not his team car."

i imagine the traut was just copying what phil had said, but got it a bit wrong.

Back from the dead
    When you hang around with Phil, Paul, and Bob and hear their stories and commentary, it has to rub off on you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Including him in the mix is very smart on OLN's part. It's all about money. More money comes from more viewers. Joe Public doesn't know Phil, Paul or this goofy "Bobbkie" are from a hole in the wall. But they know who Al Trautwig is. Suddenly, it adds some clout to the broadcast and makes the sport more mainstream. Al has done some homework and has learned about the sport, I'm impressed. He's told by the producers to "play dumb" and pose basic questions to the other experts so that new viewers don't get bored and switch off because they don't understand what is going on.

brewster

your text here

it's not the questions that bother me...

Quote Originally Posted by brewster
    He's told by the producers to "play dumb" and pose basic questions to the other experts so that new viewers don't get bored and switch off because they don't understand what is going on.
    there's just something about his personality that rubs me the wrong way. and sometimes he says things that are way off. he is very good (i cant believe i said that) when he plays the average joe asking questions. but when he and bob are commentating it is unbearable. my wife insisted we get a dvr so we could watch the race with only paul and phil commentating.

well, that and to turn it into a friends/sex in the city on-demand machine. i will have you know i have been able to reclaim enough space for the tour, PTI, the boondocks, moral orel, and robot chicken. but thats about it. the rest is friends, sex in the city, all my children, and some show called surviving motherhood.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree. I said the same a few days ago, and received flamage from the typical pompous "cycling is our sport and you can't come in" enthusiasts. Trautwig does a solid job and provides the needed main stream connection. I'm sure he "dumbs it down" intentionally, asking fundamental questions of which he surely knows the answers, in order to bring in the casual fan. After all, he has covered the Tour since Lemond's win in1989.

Bickety bam!
    Jun 2004

Just you...

OK, maybe not JUST you, but I still find him extremely annoying... Maybe I can't let bygones be bygones and all, but he still exudes annoyance. I'll take Paul and Phil anyday of the week over Al and Bobke as far as commentary. I've got the TiVo set up to record the morning show instead of watching the evening show. Too much BS in the nighttime, not enough race coverage.

I'm wearing 4" stilettos
    I agree, Al is not as bad as he's been in years past but he doesn't have cycling in his blood and it shows in his commentary....the man never gets excited about anything, and his dead-pan delivery is bringing Bobke down. Example:

Al & Bob commenting on a crash: Looks like there's been a crash...doesn't look too bad.

Phil & Paul commenting on a crash: CRASH!!! CRASH!!! THERE'S BEEN A CRASH!!!! OHHHHH, AND IT DOESN'T LOOK GOOD!!! A TOUCH OF WHEELS AND THAT RIDER'S HOPES AND DREAMS HAVE BEEN DASHED ALONG THE PAVEMENT! OH THE FICKLE HAND OF THE TOUR STRIKES AGAIN!!!!!

Al Pout-wig:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Better Still, let's get the entire New York Rangers commentry crew on there -- Al T., Sam Rosen, John Davidson (maybe even Stan Fishler, and Deb Kauffman for sure) -- guaranteed it would be entertaining, And Sam could call the fights when the fisticuffs break out. Oh wait. forgot it's not hockey season, but TdF is right up there with it.

Let's Go Rangers!

Sorry couldn't resist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

"What are clinchers?"

C'mon,....big Al is commenting on the biggest bike race in the World and he doesn't know what a clincher is? He is a highly paid professional and and should have known better. Just a little prior research would help. I am still annoyed.