Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Where's that GPS?

CAS Rules: Katusha is Pro Tour!

The CAS has ruled in favour of Katusha.

The hornet's nest has been kicked open - who does the UCI relegate now that the season has already begun?

CAS Orders WorldTour Licence For Katusha | Cyclingnews.com

This is going to get real ugly before it sorts itself out.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

Super Genius
    Wouldn't carrying on with 19 be the easiest option? There will be appeals and legal action should they relegate someone else...

Where's that GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wile_E_Coyote View Post
    Wouldn't carrying on with 19 be the easiest option? There will be appeals and legal action should they relegate someone else...
    I believe that has been discussed and discarded. I agree, that would avoid a ton of ulcers all around, but Pat and the UCI have so far said they will re-convene the license committee and decide who to throw out.

If they stick by that, which is by no means assured, the proverbial fertilizer will hit the fan when they decide who to throw out.

Lotto and Saxo were the last ones granted - so I suspect it will be between those two teams. There will hell to pay when a decision is made. I suspect both teams have thier legal teams warming up in the wings.

I'll have my popcorn with butter on it please!
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

Where's that GPS?

"What a mess!"

The Giro's Acquarone dismisses the idea of 19 World Tour teams:

Acquarone: The WorldTour Must Have 18 Teams | Cyclingnews.com

What a mess. Now we have 19 teams so Im curious to see whats going to happen. Weve planned everything for 18 teams and then the wildcard teams. Were not ready for 19 WorldTour teams. Logistically everything has been set up for races like Tirreno and the Giro. I really dont know how wed have one more team in the race, Acquarone told Cyclingnews.

UCI regulations are clear that the WorldTour is comprised of 18 teams, meaning that one team may have be forced to sacrifice its current status for Katusha.

Im curious to see what the UCI are going to do. Maybe theyll take one team out of the WorldTour because as it stands weve got an agreement for 18 teams, not 19. I just dont know. At the moment I think we have to go back to 18 teams but I will speak to the UCI next week and help to work on finding a solution.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    IIRC, the ASO and Giro had a tough time wanting to allow the UCI 18 team slots back when Patrice Clerc headed the GT group in conflict with McQuaid. 19 means some Italian, French and Spanish pro conti squad would likely get excluded from their Grand Tour and that's going to be a tough sell.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I think all this talk about how they can't arrange logistics for 19 teams (1 extra team) is a bunch of bull! What is it about 1 extra team that the logistics machine can't handle??

Sounds more like politics and grand-standing talk from a bunch of egos to me. This ain't about logistics.

Where's that GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I think all this talk about how they can't arrange logistics for 19 teams (1 extra team) is a bunch of bull! What is it about 1 extra team that the logistics machine can't handle??

Sounds more like politics and grand-standing talk from a bunch of egos to me. This ain't about logistics.
    Agreed - sounds like BS to me - but considering how irrational leadership has been at the UCI - I expect the worst possible scenario to emerge as the final conclusion of this sordid excercise.

Question: Should we take this ruling as a representation by the CAS that they do not feel the UCI is capable of determining who is World Tour level or not? Or, is this ruling just saying - "Okay, no problem generally but you guys were seriously jacked-up when you made this specific call"?
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    I'm glad that Purito gets into the big races. I agree with LostViking its going to get ugly.
    Contact me directly at 800-940-9592 or info@wekeepyoucycling.com
    Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/wekeepyoucycling

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
    Agreed - sounds like BS to me - but considering how irrational leadership has been at the UCI - I expect the worst possible scenario to emerge as the final conclusion of this sordid excercise.

Question: Should we take this ruling as a representation by the CAS that they do not feel the UCI is capable of determining who is World Tour level or not? Or, is this ruling just saying - "Okay, no problem generally but you guys were seriously jacked-up when you made this specific call"?
    The basis of the UCI's decision was based on "ethical" reasons right? and not based on the athletic ability of the team. So whatever CAS ruling is (yet to be released to the public), it has to surround the question of ethics. And usually whenever there is ethics questions, there are usually some politics of ethics involved.

UCI is becoming bigger and bigger joke. It embarassing to have an outside organization (CAS) telling you (UCI) how to interpret your own rules. Yep, joke.

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    New rule: The first team to have a rider test positive for PEDs gets eliminated.

Where's that GPS?
    And it will get ugly on multiple levels - Lotto and Saxo will be exchanging pre-emptive broadsides as soon as it becomes clear that they are under consideration for removal.

All the organizations that have recently traded barbs with Fat Pat and the stooges over at the UCI will pour whatever salt they can on yet another case of the UCI setting itself up for disaster.

Those who have called for a World Series of cycling as well as those who have called for an overhaul of the UCI will have a field-day as Pat & Co. squirm in the wind.

And then there is Riis - this will again put him on the hot-seat as well.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does the UCI intentionally make the wrong decision on everything! they simply defy logic on almost every occasion. so they are going to drop saxo ( with contador as tour contender) or Lotto ( who have sponsored cycling since the stone age) because 19 teams is an uneven number. Please put Lemond in charge. now.

Masters Neophyte
    Agreed- this will get ugly.
    And it makes sense that they will toss one of the last two to get their status. I can't picture them tossing Saxo, what with the Golden Boy El Pistolero... unfortunately I can see them tossing Lotto. The UCI doesn't give a d@mn if Lotto has been one of the staunchest supporters of cycling.
    Sad.
    Once again, the obvious answer (19 teams) eludes them.
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    Once again, the obvious answer (19 teams) eludes them.
    because, as usual, the best approach is just to kick the can down the road and let the race organizers deal with the sh!t.
    Blows your hair back.

The Cube
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    New rule: The first team to have a rider test positive for PEDs gets eliminated.
    nice. the only problem would be that every team would call in sick for the season.
    K$

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Wasn't Lotto one of the later teams to get included just because of paperwork? I seem to remember people thinking their liscense would be granted in the first group and they were fine points wise? Greipel had quite a few wins...which would point to Saxo.

On another site, someone suggested cutting teams by 1 person for races with wildcards already announced (giro in particular)....and for those with wildcard slots still up in the air, reduce the number of wild card slots by 1. Seems like a good idea to me.

Where's that GPS?

Thumbs up 19 it is!

In a surprizingly smart move, the UCI has announced it will allow 19 World Tour Teams this year!

UCI Confirms 19 WorldTour Teams For 2013 | Cyclingnews.com

Has a new era of reason dawned?
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
    In a surprizingly smart move, the UCI has announced it will allow 19 World Tour Teams this year!

UCI Confirms 19 WorldTour Teams For 2013 | Cyclingnews.com

Has a new era of reason dawned?
    will the pro continental teams then take their case to CAS that they are not being cheated out of one spot for the pro tour races? seems only fair.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Good question den. Time will tell. I'm not sure saying good bye to a wild card slot does that much. Looks like some Continental team doesn't get inivited to events. I'm not sure how it will affect the Giro. Weren't they trying to set teams last week inspite of this pending decision?

What's next? ASO vs UCI in a steel cage match?

RoadBikeReview Member

CAS Rules: Katusha is Pro Tour!

No shortage of crashes in their future. The pro peloton needs to get smaller, not larger.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I don't think the UCI has the power to demand that the grand tour organizers admit 19 teams. The agreement was for 18 if I recall and even that was a struggle for the UCI to get.

LA CHEVRE
    If organizers are not happy and their deal was indeed for 18 World Tour teams automatically invited, they could throw a wrench and not invite one of the World Tour team... This smells Unibet.com all over again.

I haven't seen a report saying why CAS ruled in favor of Katusha... but it could be that the rules to earn a World Tour spot were not too clear for the teams. What makes Katusha fail in ethics while Astana passes for exemple? And could it be that, since the UCI are so corrupted, full of conflict of interests and unethical themselves, CAS judged that the UCI weren't qualified to judge the teams on their ethics and so could not use that criteria to disqualify Katusha? I'm curious...

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    My guess is that organizers will simply adjust by inviting one less continental level squad per race.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

LA CHEVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    My guess is that organizers will simply adjust by inviting one less continental level squad per race.
    Yes... but in some cases, the wildcards have already been invited and announced... And while there's a big part of politics, some races already have booked the hotels and everything for a precise number of teams, it can be figured out, but I would understand some organisers to be pissed at the UCI...

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Needless to say, this is going to be an interesting season .

If not on the roads, then at the organization or governing body level !
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast