Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Cavendish 5'9" 152 lbs vs. Evans 5'9" 150 lbs

I find this to be pretty interesting as one is a powerful sprinter and one is a GC guy.

Do you guys think Evans is a little heavy for his height?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I find this to be pretty interesting as one is a powerful sprinter and one is a GC guy.

Well maybe, but remember that Evans is very good at TT's, and most TT guys are heavier. Look at Cancellera, Tony Martin etc. Its all those huge quads.

RoadBikeReview Member

is cav really 5'9"? I always thought he was around 5'7". Maybe it is because Cav has short, squat legs???
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-Fly View Post
    is cav really 5'9"? I always thought he was around 5'7". Maybe it is because Cav has short, squat legs???
    I thought Cav was a tiny little bloke, 5ft4 or something, but extremely powerful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Last edited by JackDaniels; 05-24-2013 at 04:44 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I wouldn't waste your time assume wikipedia/internet listed weights and actual race day weight are the same.
    Just with 10 seconds of googling right now I found Evans listed as 140 and 154.

I know it's tough to judge weight by appearance but I'm 5' 8" 150 pounds and I'd look like a fat NFL lineman next to Evans so I doubt he races at 150.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-Fly View Post
    Both 5'9" 150#
    Cadel Evans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Mark Cavendish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think Cadel's weight is more distributed. He's thicker on top. Look at his neck. Mark is pretty thin up top, carrying most his weight in his legs.

fu
    Cadel has massive quads comparing to most GC contenders who usually have longer, leaner muscles. I've always wondered about it.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I wouldn't waste your time assume wikipedia/internet listed weights and actual race day weight are the same.
    Just with 10 seconds of googling right now I found Evans listed as 140 and 154.

I know it's tough to judge weight by appearance but I'm 5' 8" 150 pounds and I'd look like a fat NFL lineman next to Evans so I doubt he races at 150.
    Actually what prompted me to post this thread was that one of the Eurosport commentators on the Giro broadcast (stage 16) mentioned how both Cav and Evans are of the same height and weight yet they're totally different rider. They mention it's genetic, different muscle type, muscle density, etc.

And the fact that Cav seems to have bigger quads, and Evans seem to be a little top-heavy compared to Cav, makes it even more remarkable that Evans is such a great GC guys (GC guys are all about W/kg).

Someone up there said Evans is a great TT guys because he's heavy. But then Cav is also heavy, and he's a terrible TT guy. And then there are other skinly and lanky guys (eg, Wiggins, Froome, Nibali) who are just as good or better than Evans. So seesm like muscle type make-up (genetic) plays a big role.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Genetics, training progression over the years and hence muscle recruitment patterns,
    individual instinctive pedalling habits and body language on the bike while producing
    wattage, psychological adaptations to stress interacting with all the above...
    All I said was that our son, the apple of our three eyes, Martha being a cyclops, our son is a beanbag, and you get testy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006

Cadel is all legs, to the point where he has a weird TT position and needs custom bikes.

Good Person
    Actually what prompted me to post this thread was that one of the Eurosport commentators on the Giro broadcast (stage 16) mentioned how both Cav and Evans are of the same height and weight yet they're totally different rider. They mention it's genetic, different muscle type, muscle density, etc.

And the fact that Cav seems to have bigger quads, and Evans seem to be a little top-heavy compared to Cav, makes it even more remarkable that Evans is such a great GC guys (GC guys are all about W/kg).

Someone up there said Evans is a great TT guys because he's heavy. But then Cav is also heavy, and he's a terrible TT guy. And then there are other skinly and lanky guys (eg, Wiggins, Froome, Nibali) who are just as good or better than Evans. So seesm like muscle type make-up (genetic) plays a big role.

I heard the same comments on Eurosport. It was also noted that muscle composition is different in different athletes; 50 lbs of muscle from one athlete is not necessarily the same as 50 lbs of muscle in another athlete. Also, genetics can cause different bodies to undergo cellular respiration differently. Evans' aerobic capabilities are extraordinary and in the very top tier of the pro peloton. Cavendish is not able to perform with sustained efforts to the same level as Evans but the energy that he can produce during short intense efforts is also in the very top tier of the pro peloton. People also talk about "fast twitch" and "slow twitch" muscle fiber, of which I am less informed, but people would argue that some athletes have stronger "fast twitch" muscle fiber and others have stronger "slow twitch" fiber (there is some controversy over this). Theoretically, this is why we can have track sprinters and marathon runners of roughly the same height and weight with very different skill sets.

I believe that the primary difference is variances in the individuals' genetic energy production capacities.
    I like when you get to that point and I don’t know if it’s the endorphins kicking in or what, but you realize you’re so far from where you started, that you’re finally really somewhere else, a completely different place.

-Richard Sachs-

Recycle King

Hell, I am a little heavy for my height.(5'6", 157-160lbs)
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

waterproof*
    Cav is just a slacker who needs to try harder, he could win grand tours.

Cadel could sprint better but he just doesn't see the point.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    There's no way Cav is 5'9". I was right next to him in Solvang a couple of years ago. I'm 5'7" and he was a lot shorter than I.

JSR

Recycle King
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Cav is just a slacker who needs to try harder, he could win grand tours.

Cadel could sprint better but he just doesn't see the point.
    Keep in mind Cadel is a former mt. biker. He's got the grind it mentality from years of racing xc mt biking.
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrunnerLXXI View Post
    Hell, I am a little heavy for my height.(5'6", 157-160lbs)
    I think of it as being a little short for my weight. 5'9" 170 lb.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    There's no way Cav is 5'9". I was right next to him in Solvang a couple of years ago. I'm 5'7" and he was a lot shorter than I.
    I've seen him too, I'm 5'7" and he looked about the same. Definitely not 5'9"!

Recycle King
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post

No, you are vertically challenged for your weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrunnerLXXI View Post
    No, you are vertically challenged for your weight.
    No you are an aspirational eater. You are just looking to grow a bit and have upped your eating in preparation.

Road & Trail Warrior
    Funny how all the pros call Cav "Fat".

In cyclists eyes, I must look like a frickin' whale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I think they are referring to his trophy cabinet, definitely not his crazy hot girlfriend Peta Todd!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by jlandry View Post
    Funny how all the pros call Cav "Fat".

In cyclists eyes, I must look like a frickin' whale.
    Cancellara got picked on for being "chubby" @ the Mapei development team. I bet that crap ended the 1st time he rode with the skinnies in the wind.
    Côte du Petit Pas d'Ane - Best climb name ever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Me too but I'm going with 'athletic build' on my match.com profile.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Cadel is 150? LOL!

Ive riden with him a few times, he is borderline anorexic. Stand next to someone in cycling clothing or go riding with em and you will see how skinny they are in real life. Presentation photos get photoshopped cos sponsors don't want to be associated with anorexia. Riders flex their arms and rotate them out so they appear more masculine.

The camera adds 20lbs. Just ask any Hollywood celeb or youtuber. ;)

These guys are all rain thin and weights are often tweaked so fans don't develop eating disorders trying to emulate the racers.
    Over 270 000km cycled as a vegan...

My youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee

My facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Durian...97363716986830

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast