Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

C'mon Bradley, it's a race not a lounge act

What does Wiggins have to lose by being more aggressive. He's got almost two miutes on Evans, and he'll even add more time in the last TT. Even if he drags Evans along he'll be doing the jersey proud. If Wiggins just sits-in and doesn't assert himself in anything but the TT, yes he'll be a tour winner, but not a great one, and the pundants will have questions.

The last time Hinault shooke Wiggins hand I thought I could read his lip. I believe he told Wiggins to get off his _ _ _ and show us he's a complete rider and actually RACE!

Also: I'd like to see more climbs in the early stages, maybe even the first stage. If the sprinters can't hack, tough.
    My 1996 Miata is my other "road bike"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    This is silly. His goal is to win a 3 week race. The best way for him to do it is to keep pace with his competitors on the mountains and smoke them in the TT. It's how Indurain won 5 times. There's nothing wrong with it. Attacking when not necessary and possibly blowing himself up in the process is a recipe for disaster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I don't think he'll risk anything in the mountains since he's not really a "climber" but he has froome to handle those GC climbers. He can and will probably win the iTT stage anyways and he will be well celebrated being the 1st British to hold on the yellow for so long and to win the TdF (will he be the 1st ever?). If they keep Froome and the team intact for a couple of more years he could be a repeat winner as there doesn't seem to be a team that can match then right now. Unfortunately this will look to be a boring race as the team will only do as much as to keep the status quo while checking any attacks from Nibali as Evans seems to have cracked. The fun part would probably be from the breakaways. I might not even watch it live tomorrow hehehe

Good Person
    He is racing. He has the yellow jersey in the Tour de France.
    I like when you get to that point and I dont know if its the endorphins kicking in or what, but you realize youre so far from where you started, that youre finally really somewhere else, a completely different place.

-Richard Sachs-

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bikie View Post
    What does Wiggins have to lose by being more aggressive.
    More important is what does he have to gain? Being a "great" Tour winner? The only way to do that is win multiple tours.

There is far more risk than reward by being aggressive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Wiggins is a smart rider. He had nothing to gain by attacking today and he still put time into Evans. Liquigas is nowhere near as strong as Sky, he can afford to let Nibali hang around.

Wiggins reminds me a bit of Indurain: a tall, lanky guy who's a dominant time trialist, smart tactician and an able but not great climber. Indurain was also criticized for playing playing it safe in the mountains, These complaints have no validity, the guy won 5 Tours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's what I would refer to as the classic Lance tour win.
    Except that it isn't inspiring in the least.

The interesting stories this year is everything going on outside of the GC.

LA CHEVRE
    Wiggo races by looking at the watt numbers on his computer... it's boring for sure but I guess it's the only way he can keep up without cracking. His goal is not to entertain, it's to win. I do hope they make him crack though... I like how Nibali races and Van Den Broeck is still trying to gain back time but it hasn't dented the UKPS control of the race. And Cadel paid a lot for trying today.

I try not to think of it because otherwise I'll be hoping the Vuelta's better but, these guys need not only to pull back the time they're behind, but a few more minutes ahead of the last TT. I think it's Wiggins Tour to lose and he doesn't have to do anything else than defend... It looks only Froome could take the yellow jersey from Wiggins.

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    I think we saw today that Sky is not invincible. Froome was almost in trouble, with wiggins taking up pace. If it were a steeper climb, with undulations, instead of a steady false flat like today, we could see Sky start to suffer.

Unfortunately, it looks like none of the stages are really hard enough.

Too bad about Cadel.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jsedlak View Post

While Lance was a great TT, he also attacked in the mountains occasionally (most famously on Alpe d'Heuz), hence, his 22 stage wins. I don't believe Indurain was much of an attacker.

Hammerhead
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    These complaints have no validity, the guy won 5 Tours.
    5 really BORING Tours. It was like watching paint dry. These kinds of wins have no class.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What does Wiggins have to lose by being more aggressive.
    The Tour de France maybe?

The last time Hinault shooke Wiggins hand I thought I could read his lip. I believe he told Wiggins to get off his _ _ _ and show us he's a complete rider and actually RACE!
    Yeah. I mean, any old Mamil can be leading the Tour after 2 weeks.

Laterally stiff yet vertically compliant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Satan View Post
    5 really BORING Tours. It was like watching paint dry. These kinds of wins have no class.
    I agree. I understand why he does what he does, but I hope he'd also understand why nobody would want to watch that. Not really good for the sport if we're all too bored to watch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by foto View Post
    I think we saw today that Sky is not invincible. Froome was almost in trouble, with wiggins taking up pace. If it were a steeper climb, with undulations, instead of a steady false flat like today, we could see Sky start to suffer.

Unfortunately, it looks like none of the stages are really hard enough.

Too bad about Cadel.
    Seems hard enough on last year's winner. I would have thought that this stage Cadel could get maybe 15-30 seconds on the last climb by a surprise attack but he lost out. Couldn't get away from the sky train and couldn't hold the pace that froome was setting. He might have to aim for 2nd this year which is unfortunate. Even Nibali couldn't get away with Froome chasing, I was hoping Nibali could at least get some time too but alas. I'll probably be watching highlights starting tomorrow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    And shave those stupid sideburns!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Guys who can win the tour do it however works for them and they don't worry about whether or not we're entertained. There is no such thing as a classless TdF win.
    Cte du Petit Pas d'Ane - Best climb name ever.

Honey Smack!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsedlak View Post

Lance would usually still attack near the end.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

Schmuck
    Dec 2004
    Boring as hell, but sometimes boring works. The New Jersey Devils wont multiple Stanley Cups playing the trap, which was so boring, even they hated it. But it worked. In the end, its all about the win.

A wheelist
    As others have said, the goal is to win the TdF, not to entertain you to your standards. Wiggo, like Indurain and Lance did, rides to his strengths. Hinault rode to his too. If they're not going to ride to their strengths, whose should they ride to?

It's just like me leading my life. If I'm not gonna try and make me happy, who am I going to try and please?

You do have the option of not watching if you're bored or you don't understand the tactics. This is not cat 5 racing or midget soccer.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidka View Post
    There is no such thing as a classless TdF win.
    I dunno. Some would say doping is classless. Or taking advantage of your competitor when they have a mechanical issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

..but Sherlock Holmes is Bradley Wiggins :-)

Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    And shave those stupid sideburns!
    Oh no, without those chops, we'd loose our closest present day resemblance to the great actor, Basil Rathbone, i.e., "Sherlock Holmes" . ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    If Sky would let Froome race, it might be an interesting tour. Working for your team leader is one thing, but this is bordering on throwing the race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by enzo24 View Post
    If Sky would let Froome race, it might be an interesting tour. Working for your team leader is one thing, but this is bordering on throwing the race.
    I think Sky have learned a thing or two from the Vuelta and at this point they aren't throwing anything away as their top riders are 1/2 on GC by a comfortable margin! No one except Froome has been able to put Wiggins in much difficultly so there is no need for them to let him off his leash at this point. If things continue this way Wiggins need only defend until the penultimate time trial. If, however, he winds up faltering badly on an upcoming mountain stage and Froome still has the legs don't be surprise if he's given free reign to bring it home.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thechriswebb View Post
    He is racing. He has the yellow jersey in the Tour de France.
    ^ Best response of this thread

wyrd bi ful rd
    Everybody is different and so will win races differently ... At the end of the day it is the no of tour wins that most will read about and less likely, how one actually won them. Just enjoy cycling for what it is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast