Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Failboat Captian

Energy Drinks in the Pro Peleton?

I was wondering why I never see any energy drinks or ads for them at the TdF (and other races)? Are the ingredients banned? Do they actually have this stuff in their bottles? It's never been mentioned. The only brand of drink I've seen or heard used is Coke.

I would have though it would be a perfect advertising place for RedBull, Monster, etc. So I'd have to guess that Taurine and other similar ingredients are banned. ????

I know I've been saved from a few really bad days by some of this stuff.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't speak for a pro rider but I know from experience that energy drinks give me heart palpitations. Probably not the best way to ride up the Alps...

RoadBikeReview Member
    The reason that you don't see energy drinks advertised at the tour could simply be because of money. It costs a lot of money & a long term agreement to be a major sponsor of the tour. Companies usually sign on to be a sponsor for at least 3 yrs.

Also like you said, it could be image as well. The tour is very selective in who they want to associate with.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gamara View Post
    The reason that you don't see energy drinks advertised at the tour could simply be because of money. It costs a lot of money & a long term agreement to be a major sponsor of the tour. Companies usually sign on to be a sponsor for at least 3 yrs.
    I doubt it's money. Companies like RoadID and Clean Bottle advertise a lot. And their advertising budgets would pale in comparisson to Monster and RedBull.
    A total of 4.631 billion cans of Red Bull were sold worldwide in 2011
    "Red bull racing, Red Bull has an aggressive international marketing campaign. The Red Bull Racing numerous sponsored activities range from extreme sports like mountain biking, BMX, motocross, windsurfing, snowboarding, skateboarding, kayaking, wakeboarding, cliff-diving, surfing, skating, freestyle motocross, rally, Formula 1 racing, and breakdancing to art shows, music, and video games."

Last edited by tlg; 07-16-2012 at 10:19 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I doubt it's money. Companies like RoadID and Clean Bottle advertise a lot. And their advertising budgets would pale in comparisson to Monster and RedBull.
    A total of 4.631 billion cans of Red Bull were sold worldwide in 2011
    I think you don't see RedBull advertising in the tour because its not what there in to. RedBull Is incredibly picky with what they put there name on. And road cycling is not the image they want to be associated with. They market extreme sports.

Skepticynisism
    They don't care about the road cycling demographic. Minimal or no return on marketing investment capital.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    They don't care about the road cycling demographic. Minimal or no return on marketing investment capital.
    Its kind of funny but your right. And I bet there is tuns of it being used by the crazy fans on the side of the mountain roads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well Gatorade definitely sponsor Sky and Sky use their water bottles on their bikes
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster" - Greg LeMond

Fierce Pancake
    For Red Bull to be able to own and run not one, but two Formula One teams from selling fizzy sugar in solution is fricking amazing, not least given those awful cartoon ads.

Their extreme sports-oriented marketing is easier to understand. I remember their little Minis with giant Red Bull cans turning up at the Spa F1 race in 96 and hot wimminz emerging to distribute the drink. That was my first Red Bull and for years afterwards no Grand Prix weekend was complete without a Red Bull.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.

Failboat Captian
    The part about advertising was secondary to the main question (I could have worded it better). Do the riders in the Pro Peleton use these energy drinks? Are they legal (by UCI rules)?

I know I've seen RedBull and Monster sponsoring MTB events, so yeah, I get the part about roadies being the wrong demographic.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I'm not an expert, but i would not use them. What is in their bottles i think is mostly team secrets They probably have their favorites out of the various performance drinks mixes from folks like Hammer, Accellerade, etc.

Good Person
    When I went to the US Pro Cycling Championships in Greenville, there was 5-hour Energy stuff everywhere.
    I like when you get to that point and I don’t know if it’s the endorphins kicking in or what, but you realize you’re so far from where you started, that you’re finally really somewhere else, a completely different place.

-Richard Sachs-

Honey Smack!
    Quote Originally Posted by thechriswebb View Post
    When I went to the US Pro Cycling Championships in Greenville, there was 5-hour Energy stuff everywhere.
    I'd imagine due to them sponsoring a us domestic team. Still cool that they do though.

I'd imagine the teams realize that crap is pretty much poison for your body and don't use it.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    I think you don't see RedBull advertising in the tour because its not what there in to. RedBull Is incredibly picky with what they put there name on. And road cycling is not the image they want to be associated with. They market extreme sports.
    RedBull could throw some ramps into the descents. Call it "Freestyle Downhill Road Biking" or something.

Steaming piles of opinion
    The marketing benefit for "energy drinks" would match the use by the athletes.

None.

Endurance athletes recognize that these products vary between useless and dangerous.

Now, sports drinks, e.g. Gatorade: There is marketing associated with those, that varies over time. Still a targeted demographic though, so more likely to be marketed to runners, footballers, etc - knowing that we're relatively bright and can pick up on the cross-sport usefulness. They don't give the runners and footballers as much credit - which is probably a wise decision.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

waterproof*
    On the NBC coverage I saw a brief bit with Chris Horner, he was really shilling hard for whatever brand of magic powder is sponsoring RS this year.

Garmin uses the Allen Lim / secret drink mix, dunno if there's a sponsorship there or not.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

banned
    Jul 2012
    Most of the teams have a nutrition sponsor. A few years back the Slipstream jerseys (that's what they were at the time) actually had Clif products sublimated into the jersey to look like they were sticking up out of the pocket. When Chipotle came on board it turned into a wrapped burrito.

Many pros do use things like Red Bull, but just as a pick me up, not as an all race day drink.

banned
    Jul 2012
    One more thing, as recently as two years ago Red Bull provided nothing to it's sponsored athletes beyond product and team kit. If you raced cars for them, you had race suits and a hat. Cyclists and triathletes would have to get their own t-shirts, collared shirts, etc. screened if they wanted to wear stuff like that.

Unrepentant Mountainbiker
    "Energy Drinks" are mis-named. They are actually stimulant drinks. A drink like 5 hr energy has very few calories which actually provide energy. What it does have are lots of stimulants like taurine. Monster has the stimulants plus lots of sugar. Sugar is a great source of short term energy but it doesn't last very long. It also has zero electrolites which you need to replace what you lose when sweating on for hrs on end.

Sports drinks like Hammer and Cytomax and others offer a mix of complex and simple carbohydrates that provide longer lasting energy. They also have electrolites. All in all a much better mix for endurance athletes.
    It's no fun unless it hurts!

ReviewBikeRoad Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    On the NBC coverage I saw a brief bit with Chris Horner, he was really shilling hard for whatever brand of magic powder is sponsoring RS this year.

Garmin uses the Allen Lim / secret drink mix, dunno if there's a sponsorship there or not.
    Yeah, a lot of pro peloton supposedly use this stuff, though I don't know if that is just more clever marketing, and the pros use mixes that are not sold to the general public.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsqueak View Post
    Yeah, a lot of pro peloton supposedly use this stuff, though I don't know if that is just more clever marketing, and the pros use mixes that are not sold to the general public.
    Huh.....neat stuff. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!

- I -
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    Huh.....neat stuff. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!
    Raspberry tastes good!

Re-Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    A total of 4.631 billion cans of Red Bull were sold worldwide in 2011.
    RebBull and Monster are not energy drinks. They are chemical stimulants. I would think that the Cytomax, Hammer, etc. type of carbo-electro that actually give you fuel, or the gel products might be more applicable. I've never seen anyone I ride with do a RBull type of drink while riding. Yecchhh!
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

Bikes make girls hotter!
    Oct 2011
    The local stage race here provides red Gatorade to the Pros and Cat racers. I know this because I helped fill and carry the coolers haha! After the 108 mile day many of them had deli sandwiches and soda. Whatever some of the teams 'secret ingredient' is they can buy it at Walmart. It looked like just healthy grocery shopping more than anything. These guys were enjoying take out and sodas while telling some interesting stories about running out of water in races. I remember seeing on youtube LA slugging a Sprite after TDF a stage race.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Energy Drinks in the Pro Peleton?-chow.jpg  
    It is pretty much safe to assume I have no idea what I'm doing and that I need more fixing than my bike!

banned
    Jul 2012
    What stage race is that? I see XXX was there. They are local to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast