RoadBikeReview Member

Fuglsang - getting the shaft, or just desserts?

I've followed the Jakob Fuglsang saga this season (maybe not as close as some others).
    Rider shows bad form
    Gets left off Tour de France squad
    Pops off and says he's going to leave team
    Team says, fine, you aren't collecting any more World Tour points that will help your new team

Now it looks like he's done for the year.

So is this a case of the team unfairly punishing the rider? (Not that The Shack is gonna be around next season to compete with whatever team he winds up with) But let's say it was a more stable team - unfair? Or should he have shut his pie-hole and acted like a professional?

Slightly Opinionated
    IMHO, this is the issue with the UCI points system. It forces the points to travel with the riders as opposed to being earned for the team, causing things like this to occur. Now you have a guy who has decent form and can probably win in your colors, but you won't use him because if he wins he'll take his points elsewhere.

In the current system, it's probably pretty stupid to admit well in advance of transfers that the team sucks and you're leaving. It's always the team's discretion, so playing it safe might have been better for Jakob.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

waterproof*
    ...fans tend to forget that riders work for the teams, not the other way around...
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

LA CHEVRE
    Jakob didn't have bad form, he was in much better shape than the Schlecks and was supposed to lead the Giro squad but he got hurt and had to pull out, came back well and won the Tour of Austria (not exactly the Tour de france but, he's showing some form and gets results).

It wasn't the smartest thing to bad-mouth the team publicly (he probably learned that from Johan who's doing the same thing to bash his riders), let's hope he learned it from all that and will be more professional now but it's getting pretty ridiculous. Yes the UCI points system is very flawed and to blame but I also think the team's reaction is way overkill, not using a talented rider like Jakob in WorldTour races at least has a logic but not racing him at all? After Fabian, he's the best rider they have! The others are old has-beens, have a broken butt or have been caught doping. And with all their problems, why do they care about points for next year? That team is sinking...

Jakob should try to void his contract right now, problems getting paid, his reputation is soiled from being associated with dopers (Fränk/Johan) and now not being able to race at all.

I really hope he finds a team for next year that will take him for what he's worth. The guy is talented but is far from being fully developped (Johan has never been one to try to develop riders), I think he has potential to be much better than he already is, not the case with the Schlecks who have hit a plateau and are not willing to work to get better... plus they win less often than Jakob. So where will he end up? Lots of talking about Saxo but maybe he could go to Liquigas to replace Nibali as a GC rider?

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Maybe there is way more BS going on at Radio Shack than any outsiders know.

As much as I dislike the Schlecks, maybe they have had good reason to be miserable. And there are lots of rumours of missed paychecks and other problems. If my paycheck bounced I might not feel very motiovated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jswilson64 View Post
    I've followed the Jakob Fuglsang saga this season (maybe not as close as some others).
    Rider shows bad form
    Gets left off Tour de France squad
    Pops off and says he's going to leave team
    Team says, fine, you aren't collecting any more World Tour points that will help your new team

Now it looks like he's done for the year.

So is this a case of the team unfairly punishing the rider? (Not that The Shack is gonna be around next season to compete with whatever team he winds up with) But let's say it was a more stable team - unfair? Or should he have shut his pie-hole and acted like a professional?
    I am not sure if the sequence of events is correct. I think once it became known he will be leaving the team, he was deliberately left off the team (because of UCI points system).

But then again, Radioshack is a pretty deep team for flaky and fragile GC contenders who have no shot at podium, so Fuglsang does not add much in that sense.

Liquigas was in similar situation with Nibali who pretty much announced he is leaving, but at least they felt (realistically, obviously) they had a real shot at podium with him.

Get me to In&Out
    Wasn't he pulled from the TDF squad to make room for Horner?
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.