Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    your text here

Giro Stage 20: 178km, 5 Climbs, Including Gavia

Did you hear that soft whimper? No, it wasn't the sound of the GC contenders accepting defeat at the pedals of Basso, Nibali, and Liquigas. It was me. Unable to read the live reports. No access to video of the stage. And that will continue through Sunday. Yes, your hummble narrator is stuck in the Quad Cities. And I won't even be able to see the QC Crit on Monday. The horror.

So, from what I have gleaned, Liquigas delivered Basso and Nibbles to the tip of the spear, and from there the two took care of business. With the help of Scarponi. Arroyo, from the few letters I read online, had a killer descent, but just couldn't put all the pieces together.I hear he even startled Sastre on teh way down. Then again, a shadow would spook Carlos on a descent.

Now we have Stage 20. As if the plotters of the Giro weren't saddistic enough, they throw 5 climbs at these guys on the penultimate stage. The final climb is a summit finish. And comes AFTER the Gavia. I think the only way to make this Giro better is to relive the Hampsten Gavia pass. Andy didn't win that stage, but he took pink. And possibly some frostbite.

So, what will happen in the final day on standard road bikes? Basso's closest contender, Arroyo, is just under a minute behind. Teamate Nibali is 2:30 down, and Scarponi is :19 back of that. Unless the other GC contenders left something in the tank, you have to believe Basso will come away the winner. Not of the stage, but of the Giro.

So, who will make a go of it? Everyone. Who can make it stick? Down so many per team, Vino and Evans don't stand much of a chance on their own against Liquigas.Together? Or with Sastre? Possibly Garzelli. Maybe Pinotti. But we are talking several riders making concerted efforts to destroy two members that have a full team protecting them. The closest rider I see with a chance is Evans, as he could gain time on Basso during the ITT on Sunday. In order for that to happen, he would need to cross the line nearly 4 minutes ahead of Basso, possibly win the stage for any bonus (not certain if there are points to be given out), and then kill it on the ITT.

Now, for the stage winner. Who? I know he is sick, but he was only 10:00 back today. He is far enough off the GC time he could get ahead in the race. So, like I have all race, I will say the Hillary Swank doppelganger will regin victorious! Long shot, but I don't think Basso and Nibali will be leading, but protecting against other GC contenders. Time to sit on Arroyo and Scarponi's wheels up the Gavia.

And keep in mind, if Basso does win, this will be historic. The first rider to come back from a 2 year suspension and win a grand tour will start quite a chatter. But we will have to keep that in the doping form.

I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Surely, tomorrow will be "EPIC", n'est pas?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    fantastic! i'll be on the road all morning, so i'm begging for a justin.tv rescue that i can play throughout the car with the iPhone app...

RoadBikeReview Member
    These guys must be so happy it's near the end... one helluva race so far. I was hoping for Cadel to have faired better today, I don't think he'll be able to make enough time to truly challenge Basso. But I think he still as a good chance to podium. I will be keeping a eye on Scarponi.

gh1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Ok, maybe Nibali can work for himself tomorrow so I will try again. Nibbles....nice name that cracks me up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The second half of this is great.

First it highlights today but then the announcer rides the gavia.
    http://www.raisport.rai.it/dl/RaiTV/...-raisport.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Nibbles... I like that!

jd3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flying
    The second half of this is great.

First it highlights today but then the announcer rides the gavia.
    http://www.raisport.rai.it/dl/RaiTV/...-raisport.html
    That was great. Didn't understand a word they said, didn't need to.
    “You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.” – Albert Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member

Too bad about no coverage

Good stage and yes, team green did a number on the field. The descent off the Trivigno was actually much more technical than the the one after the Mortirolo although the former was dry. Cadel almost smacked into the caravan off the Mortirolo, apparently he says the brakes locked so I guess he was on carbon rims. Arroyo really showed his class today, both on the descent and then in the chase.

Arroyo went down fighting but the chasers, he, Sastre, Vino, Evans and Gadret were pretty knackered. An interesting exchange when Arroyo caught Vino. Arroyo went to the front and then looked to Vino to pull through. Vino refused and they had a conversation including hand gestures from Vino that seemed to say if you want to go, you're the one in pink so I'm not coming through. Vino now says he wanted to work with Arroyo and chase down the leading three. You could have fooled me. I've never seen Vino not pull, regardless of the circumstances including people and placing so it was a bit weird.

Today, well it's going to be about survival and for those with anything left in the tank, improving or consolidating their position. Much as I would like to see it, I think Arroyo will slip down to 4th as team green will look to once again, put some time in for Nibali. Scarponi's been recovering pretty well so he'll probably be able to go with them. I think Cadel's on empty so I'm guessing he'll just consolidate his placing.

Quote Originally Posted by weltyed
    Did you hear that soft whimper? No, it wasn't the sound of the GC contenders accepting defeat at the pedals of Basso, Nibali, and Liquigas. It was me. Unable to read the live reports. No access to video of the stage. And that will continue through Sunday. Yes, your hummble narrator is stuck in the Quad Cities. And I won't even be able to see the QC Crit on Monday. The horror.

So, from what I have gleaned, Liquigas delivered Basso and Nibbles to the tip of the spear, and from there the two took care of business. With the help of Scarponi. Arroyo, from the few letters I read online, had a killer descent, but just couldn't put all the pieces together.I hear he even startled Sastre on teh way down. Then again, a shadow would spook Carlos on a descent.

Now we have Stage 20. As if the plotters of the Giro weren't saddistic enough, they throw 5 climbs at these guys on the penultimate stage. The final climb is a summit finish. And comes AFTER the Gavia. I think the only way to make this Giro better is to relive the Hampsten Gavia pass. Andy didn't win that stage, but he took pink. And possibly some frostbite.

So, what will happen in the final day on standard road bikes? Basso's closest contender, Arroyo, is just under a minute behind. Teamate Nibali is 2:30 down, and Scarponi is :19 back of that. Unless the other GC contenders left something in the tank, you have to believe Basso will come away the winner. Not of the stage, but of the Giro.

So, who will make a go of it? Everyone. Who can make it stick? Down so many per team, Vino and Evans don't stand much of a chance on their own against Liquigas.Together? Or with Sastre? Possibly Garzelli. Maybe Pinotti. But we are talking several riders making concerted efforts to destroy two members that have a full team protecting them. The closest rider I see with a chance is Evans, as he could gain time on Basso during the ITT on Sunday. In order for that to happen, he would need to cross the line nearly 4 minutes ahead of Basso, possibly win the stage for any bonus (not certain if there are points to be given out), and then kill it on the ITT.

Now, for the stage winner. Who? I know he is sick, but he was only 10:00 back today. He is far enough off the GC time he could get ahead in the race. So, like I have all race, I will say the Hillary Swank doppelganger will regin victorious! Long shot, but I don't think Basso and Nibali will be leading, but protecting against other GC contenders. Time to sit on Arroyo and Scarponi's wheels up the Gavia.

And keep in mind, if Basso does win, this will be historic. The first rider to come back from a 2 year suspension and win a grand tour will start quite a chatter. But we will have to keep that in the doping form.

i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Just read on Gazzetta.it that the Gavia pass is OPEN today and will be featured on today's stage.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Giro...68995339.shtml
    2014 SuperSix Evo HM Sagan LE
    2011 SuperSix Hi-Mod
    2010 Stevens Carbon Cross
    2010 CAAD8 Cyclocross (sold)
    2009 SuperSix (retired)
    2008 SystemSix (sold)
    2008 SuperSix (retired)
    2006 Six13 (retired)
    2004 Bianchi Giro (sold)

Slightly Opinionated
    It's like a bomb has been thrown in the middle of the peloton. People are hitting from all directions on the first climb of the day!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

Moderatus Puisne
    This is awesome stuff. Eff the tour!

Especialmente si comprende castellano: http://www.justin.tv/yo2024

What did you say? Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius
    This is awesome stuff. Eff the tour!

Especialmente si comprende castellano: http://www.justin.tv/yo2024
    Or British:

http://www.fromsport.com/v-0/0/0/v-16.html
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    Watch it in Italian, like it's supposed to be watched.

http://videochat.gazzetta.it/index_giro.shtml

RoadBikeReview Member

pink

just watching this morning, and i like the fact that Basso is just wearing the pink jersey. no pink gloves, glasses, helmet, bike etc. just the jersey.

You said it, man!!
    That descent is insane!

RoadBikeReview Member
    nice that they have search and rescue guys at every corner in case someone flies off a cliff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kinda funny Arroyo still riding the pink bike... I guess he don't have another one? Yarite, it's a Pinarello, they want to stand out... Man those roads are sooo narrow... especially through towns.

Climbs like a sprinter...
    Go Cadel!!! Vino is toast.
    "It's turtles all the way down."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Call him the Lion Heart, Cadel Evans! Man he should've gone a little earlier... but Great, Great finish! He can still podium with an extraordinary TT tomorrow.... GO CADEL!

Poseur
    I loved the announcer when he said "Evans just nailed a Kazack to the road." Great line.
    I like cats, I just can't finish a whole one by myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    This stage was epic beyond EPIC! I only wish I had a cadre of cycling superlatives to spew!
    ________
    WhiteStar
    Last edited by rubbersoul; 09-10-2011 at 08:50 AM.

What did you say? Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxhacksaw
    Go Cadel!!! Vino is toast.
    Damn it. I gave up when the live feed went dead due to weather and went out and road my own bike...now I'll have to look for a replay...
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, I have a hard time accepting that the tour will have a stage as epic as today! And I'd say that the route of the Giro has more an impact on the outcome than that of the tour. The tour is as, or even more competitive, but not near as exciting.
    today was what cycling is all about, for me...
    Bravo Tschopp, Bravo Basso.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was amazed by today's stage. I'm thinking Cadel could get back on the podium by tomorrow, although hard to imagine he'd be able to go all the way, but ya never know.....

I'm thinking the Tour will be good, but it will be hard to follow this year's Giro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast