Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamM View Post
    Maybe it's other factors, but it seems to me that compared to HTC in recent years, Sky as the sprinter's team isn't keeping the pace high enough in the final 3 or 4k's. HTC would have things lined out hard for the final few k's, which kept a lot of the nonsense under control, but Sky lost the bunch both days. With 2k left you basically had RAGRAI and then a cat 4 pack sprint with 60+ guys thinking they're going to win the race.
    The HTC train had 3 top 10 sprinters in it (both Renshaw and Goss finished in the top 10 both yesterday and today), so it's understandable that this year's teams aren't quite as strong as the 2011 HTC team.

But I also wonder how much of it is on Cav. Yeah, Sky lost a bunch of the train early. But with 1.3k left, two Sky riders were in front but Cav had lost their wheel.

Orica Green Edge had a strong lead out today. Three riders in front for the last 1k to lead out Goss.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Cavendish on Twitter:

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cq20 View Post
    IMO it was an incredibly stupid/thoughtless, but nor premeditated, move by Ferrari. He deserves to be punished for it and a severe fine will have more impact than a relegation in his case but, personally, I can't see a case for him being DQ'ed.
    I don't know, he had plenty of space to the left, but decides to cross 3 lanes of traffic when there wasn't an opening? He didn't get on farrar's wheel, we went clear past farrar to the right and chops cavendish. That italian video above makes it pretty hard to believe it was just an accident.

How do you take out the world champ, and not even get a fine?
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Renshaw agrees with Cav:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    and from Phinney:

"I went down, but I am NOT OUT. Couldn't feel my foot there for a couple minutes...but nothing is broken... I live to fight another day"

What did you say? Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by foto View Post
    I don't know, he had plenty of space to the left, but decides to cross 3 lanes of traffic when there wasn't an opening? He didn't get on farrar's wheel, we went clear past farrar to the right and chops cavendish. That italian video above makes it pretty hard to believe it was just an accident.

How do you take out the world champ, and not even get a fine?
    Probably because the move was stupid and thoughtless...but I don't think there was any way that Ferrari could have known Cav's front wheel would be where it was.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    The guy's reputation in the peloton is shot at least. That's probably worse than anything the race jury could have done.
    Bingo. Absolutely correct. This is the punishment -- worse than a fine or a DQ. Roberto Ferrari's name now belongs with Theo Bos and other fool sprinters who are disliked in the peloton. When Theo Bos crashed yesterday I don't think anyone in the pro peloton cared. Roberto Ferrari made his bed.

Shameful move by Ferrari.
    2014 SuperSix Evo HM Sagan LE
    2011 SuperSix Hi-Mod
    2010 Stevens Carbon Cross
    2010 CAAD8 Cyclocross (sold)
    2009 SuperSix (retired)
    2008 SystemSix (sold)
    2008 SuperSix (retired)
    2006 Six13 (retired)
    2004 Bianchi Giro (sold)

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Ferrari was looking for a clear place to sprint, obviously he didn't see Cavendish coming full speed from behind. Cav was bad placed, and was making his way to the front from far, that is something not usually expected on a bunch sprint.

Ferrari was wrong in cuting to the right, and not hold his line, even though at that precise moment he had no line because he had the 3 others in front, one of the riders in front opened to the right ( name?), and Ferrari did the same, opening wider to place himself to the right side of him. Sure it would have been easier to open to the left but probably he was following the wheel and the opening to the right of the rider in front.

Usually when a sprinter comes from behind trying to find a spot for sprinting, he has to take care of his placement and avoid collisions with riders being left behind, and once he has his opening, then hold his line.

This simply happened too fast for Cavendish to react. bad bad luck.

And about Phinney and his team, well one of the main things about being the race leader is to keep himself out of trouble. Bad luck and a bit of inexperience for him too.
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

Get me to In&Out
    Quote Originally Posted by cq20 View Post
    IMO it was an incredibly stupid/thoughtless, but nor premeditated, move by Ferrari. He deserves to be punished for it and a severe fine will have more impact than a relegation in his case but, personally, I can't see a case for him being DQ'ed.
    200 Swiss Francs doesn't send a message. That was his fine, plus relegation to last. He is a sprinter though so if you aren't first, you are last.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    200 Swiss Francs doesn't send a message. That was his fine, plus relegation to last. He is a sprinter though so if you aren't first, you are last.
    Agreed. I don't count that as a severe fine. Even worse, he doesn't appear to be in any way contrite. Although his actions were reckless and his post race attitude contemptible, I still don't think it was a deliberate "take out".

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gusmahler View Post
    Cav was in 5th place when the accident happened.
    cav was going to finish 1st.

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fornaca68 View Post
    Bingo. Absolutely correct. This is the punishment -- worse than a fine or a DQ. Roberto Ferrari's name now belongs with Theo Bos and other fool sprinters who are disliked in the peloton. When Theo Bos crashed yesterday I don't think anyone in the pro peloton cared. Roberto Ferrari made his bed.

Shameful move by Ferrari.
    maybe he can get danielo hondo on his team.

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover View Post
    And about Phinney and his team, well one of the main things about being the race leader is to keep himself out of trouble. Bad luck and a bit of inexperience for him too.
    well being up front next to cav isn't all that bad

Honey Smack!
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover View Post

He was about where you expect a GC rider to be for a bunch sprint, out of the spring mayhem but in the front of the peloton, Where exactly do you think he should be? Middle of the bunch? OTB? broomwagon?
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylint View Post
    He was about where you expect a GC rider to be for a bunch sprint, out of the spring mayhem but in the front of the peloton, Where exactly do you think he should be? Middle of the bunch? OTB? broomwagon?
    about where you expect a successful GC rider to be in any case. For those in doubt take a look at Evans finishes the first 10 days of the tour last year. Or how the Schlecks tried to do the same.
    Blows your hair back.

Roadbike Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by gusmahler View Post

But I also wonder how much of it is on Cav. Yeah, Sky lost a bunch of the train early. But with 1.3k left, two Sky riders were in front but Cav had lost their wheel.
    At about 2:55 in the video. Sky has the right side of the road but it narrows at that point heading into a sharp left. There are other teams along side. Cav gets separated from his two Sky guys when they accelerate and Renshaw slots in between. Cav is good enough to work his way back so he rode Renshaw's wheel until the sprint started to open up but he was certainly stuck a long way back.

I would not fault him for any tactics but the Sky train could have been more in control. The accelerating and weaving in traffic causes pace lines to get broken.
    "It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button. "
    John Brunner (Stand on Zanzibar)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Sorry, but Ferrari should be dq'd. That was one of the most egregious examples of reckless riding I've witnessed in almost 40 years of following professional bicycle racing.

However, being allowed to continue may ultimately be worse. The peloton has a long memory.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

This space for sale
    Renshaw was disqualified for a headbutt at the tour. I don't recall anyone being hurt by the incident. Ferrari displays a perfect example of dangerous reckless riding taking down and injuring riders and receives a $200 fine and is just relegated.
    Different races and different nationalities involved but it doesn't make sense.
    Sometimes I ride my bike to nowhere, to see nothing, just so I can ride my bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    If you enter promo code giro2012 (or maybe it's 2012giro) you can get it for $15

RoadBikeReview Member
    That was egregious. If everyone in the bunch was riding like that nobody would have finished on their wheels. Ejection would not be too harsh.

Booo-yaaawwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
    I bet Ferrari is either going to get punched or somehow end up on the ground next stage.
    The one stop spot for the wanna-be pros out there. Bikes, gear, deals, life...
    http://shouldbetraining.blogspot.com/

My eBay Store

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    If I were Roberto Ferrari, I'd DQ myself. Cavendish is not the sort of gentleman to be trifled with.

25 cents says tomorrow he suddenly appears on the ground with a tubular wrapped around his neck...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gordy748 View Post
    If I were Roberto Ferrari, I'd DQ myself. Cavendish is not the sort of gentleman to be trifled with.

25 cents says tomorrow he suddenly appears on the ground with a tubular wrapped around his neck...
    LOL.

Tomorrow is a rest day and the day after is the team time trial. I wonder if all the anger will have subsided by the next group stage.

Albert Owen
    Jul 2008
    Ferrari's move was indeed ridiculous and Cav was lucky not to be seriously injured.
    BUT:
    If this had been last year, no hopers like Ferrari wouldn't have been anywhere near the front at the sharp end of a stage like this. The HTC Train would have reduced the field down to the serious contenders who would then have contested the final showdown.
    The problem Cav has is that the Sky boys just don't have the power or speed for sustained high tempo peleton destruction duties. Cav was actually freewheeling and looking for a wheel to follow a couple of seconds before he was brought down - going that slow is always going to lead to trouble.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    All this "worst I've seen" stuff - anyone remember Abdoujaparov?
    Last edited by coldash; 05-08-2012 at 02:38 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast