Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

GT Edge steel frame in US national cycling team

I've read somewhere that the GT Egde steel frame made of Reynolds 853 was ridden in the late 90s by the riders of US national cycling team. This frame was not welded as the normal GTs but beautyfully filled brazed.
    Some time ago such a frame was on ebay and it was claimed that this frame was ridden by G. Hincapie during his days at the US team.

Could someone please post some pictures of US team riders riding this frame or send me some links?

banned

Here is one

here is Nelson Vails at Sommerville
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bad Link; 06-14-2006 at 06:05 PM.

MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
    I read an article somewhere about the history of the GT brand, and I can't for the life of me remember where I read it, but at some point wasn't GT a division of Schwinn? I think it might be in the time frame you're talking about.

I found it. http://www.schwinnbike.com/heritage/
    Wannabe Minimalist

On your left!
    Quote Originally Posted by FORT-Cyclist
    I've read somewhere that the GT Egde steel frame made of Reynolds 853 was ridden in the late 90s by the riders of US national cycling team. This frame was not welded as the normal GTs but beautyfully filled brazed.
    Some time ago such a frame was on ebay and it was claimed that this frame was ridden by G. Hincapie during his days at the US team.

Could someone please post some pictures of US team riders riding this frame or send me some links?

Not a team pic, but a pic of their TT rig with some very, very nice brazing. (TrueTemper Steel, hmmmmmmmmm....)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Edge steel frame in US national cycling team-gt-us-national-large.jpg   GT Edge steel frame in US national cycling team-gt-us-national-large-right-ht.jpg  
    Not in the mood?! Mood's a thing for cattle and love play... not fighting.

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004

GT had a small custom frame factory in Longmont Colorado run by Forrest Yelverton. I think he still works for Pacific/Schwinn as an engineer. Might try there, he'd be your best bet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    I have a GT custom frame made in that shop but it is TI. Fully polished, great welds. On a much higher level then any other GT I have seen. I was told that very few were made and that this frame was perhaps made for team Lotto in 98 but I have no conformation

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I have a steel GT Edge. I think it's from 93-94. First year they made them. There was a recall so to speak. The size of the brazes were thin. When I got mine back the welds were much beefier yet smooth like in the picture above.

BTW my bike is made from Excel tubing.
    CC

RoadBikeReview Member
    google koichi yamaguchi. to the best of my knowledge, any of the fillet brazed national team frames were built by him when he was the framebuilder for the us team.

Pixie Sticks and Politics
    Bad Link, I laughed out loud when I saw this picture and even had to show my wife. Permission to steal this pic and use it as my avatar for a while? It is hilarious, besides the fact that I worked in New Orleans after the storm. If it is a problem, let me know. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    The brazed frames were indeed made in longmont, co. Forrest was the head engineer. Also Dave Tiemeyer of Tiemeyer Cycles built there as well. They did do some Ti frames, and used Excel, True Temper and Reynolds for the steel. You could have your frame built around the standard GT geometry, or they would build it custom for an upcharge. The Lotto team frames were made of aluminum, just like the ZR-1, though they would build them custom. And the Lotto sponsorship didn't begin untill the summer of 1999, just before the Tour that year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhat
    google yamaguchi. to the best of my knowledge, any of the fillet brazed national team frames were built by him when he was the framebuilder for the us team.
    Yamaguchi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

GT Edge frame US National Team

I've owned this frame since 2000, when the National team stopped using them. I have a friend that was on the Track squad and I bought this frame when they were being cleared out. It's actually a little tall for me so I used it as a display in my office.

barnfullagts
    Apr 2007
    How's about a shot of George Hincapie riding one? His was fillet-brazed True Temper. They didn't start building them out of Reynolds until 97.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Edge steel frame in US national cycling team-gt-13-hincapie-photo.jpg  

Big is relative
    I believe many of the fillet models were built by Mark Nobilette. At least that's what he told me. He still builds custom steel.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kinda off the topic, but before the 96 Olympics GT put a lot of money into developing carbon superbikes for the US track team and aluminum TT/Tri bikes for the road team. Eventually they released a couple of versions, one called the Vengeance (650c wheels?) & another called Edge (the road frame was also called the Edge from what I remember). They were very aerodynamic & stiff but by the time they were released the market had started to lean towards carbon, and in addition the aerodynamic profile of the tubes didn't fall within the UCI 3:1 ratio, so there weren't any pro teams riding them.

waterproof*
    I know a guy who has one of those frames hanging in his shop... the pursuit model if I recall correctly.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    yamaguchi didn't build any of these frame, just helped with the design.
    i have one built in nobilette's shop, had him build another fork for it. when i got the frame it handled kinda bad and had a carbon fork on it that was too tall. the original forks are very short. something like 363mm.

tiemeyer built some of the later models, with the reynolds tubing.
    was gonna post a few pics but i can't coz so few posts

RoadBikeReview Member
    somebody get more information and picture about the TT.i just see frames only or ssp and fixie stuff in web.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    I know a guy who has one of those frames hanging in his shop... the pursuit model if I recall correctly.
    Is the shop just outside of Charlotte, NC? If so I have seen the same frame when I was getting fit, and that's Hegg's frame.

FWIW I don't think the wheels are 650s I think they were all custom built in a special size and the tires were custom ordered. There is a some what famous story of one of the team mechanics being sent to pick up the tires at the airport COD and having float some crazy amount of money (like thousands) on his CC so they could get the tires in time.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 32and3cross View Post
    Is the shop just outside of Charlotte, NC? If so I have seen the same frame when I was getting fit, and that's Hegg's frame.

FWIW I don't think the wheels are 650s I think they were all custom built in a special size and the tires were custom ordered. There is a some what famous story of one of the team mechanics being sent to pick up the tires at the airport COD and having float some crazy amount of money (like thousands) on his CC so they could get the tires in time.
    that's brilliant

Domokun!
    Quote Originally Posted by 32and3cross View Post

I live in Charlotte. Which shop. I'd love to go see it!!
    " The ability to purchase an expensive bicycle does not make you a cyclist! "

RoadBikeReview Member
    The right gear Bicycles, Cycling, Bicycle Fitting, Cycling Apparel, Cycling Gear | The Right Gear | Kannapolis NC they have quite a collection of bikes to look at AND buy.

BTW Jim does great fits

Not Banned

If I ever see one of those

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    Yamaguchi
    in a size 60 I will buy

mmmmmmm Yamaguchi Track Bike, Pursuit frame yes?
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I just picked up this frame. I'm having a blast learning about the history of this frame. I have now come to the conclusion that I should sell it because do not have the funds to build this bike up the way that it deserves.

*It was raced by Jennie Reed.
    [IMG] *Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
    [IMG] *Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Thought you guys might like this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrew View Post
    I have a GT custom frame made in that shop but it is TI. Fully polished, great welds. On a much higher level then any other GT I have seen. I was told that very few were made and that this frame was perhaps made for team Lotto in 98 but I have no conformation
    Sorry to revive such an old thread (and to do so as a first post), but I have a question about the GT Ti frames built in the 90s. I recently picked up a used GT edge titanium bike from a second owner who did not know much about the bike other than that he bought it from a pro in Colorado. I am trying to find more out about the frame because it is not the same as 1994-1998 GT edge titanium frames in that the top tube does no protrude from the rear of the seattube as all GT models were designed in the 1990s. For this reason, I am thinking it may have been custom made, but still in a GT factory. Homebrew, you mentioned something similar in that thread, but were still unsure. Were you able to find any additional info? You can look at the bike here:

velospace.org/node/40708] GT Edge Titanium - La Bala Plateada on velospace

Does anyone know who from GT I could communicate with to inquire? I still have yet to find a serial number. Thanks guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast