Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: La Vuelta

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    Agreed. More great racing today.

On a side note, I would like to see if we can get Yates to switch glasses to something that actually fits the elf like dimensions of his face. It looks like he's wearing ski goggles.
    Hahaha! Looking good so matters in this sport! I should have quoted Rashad and Coldash as well, but I think the rider selection makes this such an unpredictable and enjoyable race. I wouldnít say itís the best, in terms of most talented, but in terms of a fabulous race? Iím a convert. Been thinking it for a few years. Sure, im pumped for the other 2 and then the red headed step child comes along and Iím glued to every minute because so much is going on. Stuff you donít see in the other 2 tours... This is absolutely great bicycle racing! Congratulations to Woods on his first stage win, there have been more than a handful of those so far and it makes me smile even when itís guys Iím not rooting for. DeGhent racing for KOM is fabulous? Not even a legit climber! Just a bad azz endurance monster who is targeting KOM because heís in the break every single day! Great race!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    La Vuelta is usually a good race. Many stories lines for different reasons. Yes some come to train for the Worlds. However there is usually still great racing and this year the GC battle is crazy. Yates who was looking great for 2 weeks in the Giro then cracked and Valverde at 38 years old who just had a career threatening injury last year battling for the red jersey. Yates for his first GT win, Valverde not only for his 2nd Vuelta title, but also chasing history both with podiums (for la Vuelta and for Spanish cycling in GTs) and to tie the record for the Green jersey. Great to see Alessandro De Marchi get his first stage win since 2015. Who would have realized it has been that long since since he'd won a stage since he's in so many breaks. Of course I'm extactic with how well Valverde is doing. 2 stage wins, the green jersey (also the white jersey) and so close to the overall lead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    The Vuelta suffers a bit from its proximity to the Worlds but this year especially, that has made for a more interesting contest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another great stage! What a fabulous race! Best flat stage Iíve seen a long time!!!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Another great stage! What a fabulous race! Best flat stage Iíve seen a long time!!!
    Yes, that was a good stage for sure, one for the breakaway! Another great one today on an uphill finish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm going to try to be around. We had to evacuate due to the hurricane. (Reports from home are hopeful so far). We're currently in Charlotte at a hotel. Unfortunately due to the sheer number of people in Concord the internet is over loaded and is running extremely slowly for that reason. So streaming is not really useful. Thankfully NBCSports is showing today's stage tonight. I'm sure my Dish said they are also showing both tomorrow and Sunday's stage, but heck if I can remember when and of course no TV guide in the room OR on the tv or even a TV station list. LOL. We do have NBCSports though.
    Sounds like today's stage was interesting. What the heck Movistar is doing is a wonderful question that no one has an answer for. Why they did what they did today, who knows as we all knew this was by far the worst stage of the entire Vuelta for Valverde's abilities. Tomorrow is better suited for him. Just hoping at this point he can hang on for a podium. Quintana looks like he has no legs in this race. No idea what is going on with him at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Great racing again today. So happy for the guys that performed well. Mas is in pole position to be my new favorite GC rider. Heís slightly ahead of Nibali, Dumoulin, and Yates.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Horrible, horrible, horrible tactics by Movistar yet again. What they are doing I have no clue other than ensuring they screw up everything.

Will NOT be watching today's stage when it's on TV tonight and have no interest in watching tomorrow's stage either. I WILL NOT watch my boy suffer the way he did today. I will NOT watch him lose what would have been a historic podium. Instead I shall just go cry for awhile.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Yates now has a grand tour and almost had two. Dumoulin has one and a couple of podiums. Quintana has two, some podiums, but appears to be fading fast in three week races. Mas, Roglic, Lopez, and Bernal look ready to challenge for wins if given the support. Porte pretty much crashes out of every grand tour he enters. Jungles seems to be shifting his attention toward the Ardennes Classics, which is where Alaphilippe seems to be focused for now as well. Bardet and Kelderman seemed to take a step backward this year. Mohoric looks like he is on the rise.

Given the lay of the land, who do you all have as the current and/or next great GC leaders? Will any of them really challenge Froome and Sky anytime soon?
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 1 Week Ago at 02:12 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Given what I've seen this year I don't know if I even care enough both with any of the Grand Tours next year. I can only hope and pray they give Valverde one more shot at his beloved Vuelta WITH a team that is actually going to support him instead of riding against him. He deserves one more shot at a historic podium.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Given what I've seen this year I don't know if I even care enough both with any of the Grand Tours next year. I can only hope and pray they give Valverde one more shot at his beloved Vuelta WITH a team that is actually going to support him instead of riding against him. He deserves one more shot at a historic podium.
    Okay. Anybody else that cares about the future of pro cycling have an opinion?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Okay. Anybody else that cares about the future of pro cycling have an opinion?
    Mas was freaking incredible. Quickstep on the second step of a world tour?!?! You are a classics team!! Hahaha! Amazing, I canít help but be happy for him and his team which just churns talent... Movistar is such a talented team, OK, SKY has depth that is ridiculous, but they are 2nd Iíd say, I mean the drop off is huge when Kwaito is your domestique. So, Nairo, WTF? He paced his 2nd place GC guy off the back? Haha, like, is his radio on?

Contador was telling the world that Mas was the real deal, and Iíll listen to Alberto, hell I miss him... He looks ahead of Bernal in development but Bernal could be buried at Sky. Sunweb is wonderful, bake sales to sign riders and they have had amazing results. Wilkoís Top 10 is a win for them and for him, maybe disappointing but he has some work to do. The overperformers are Mitchelton Scott. Fabulous. Almost a Giro. Got a Vuelta! Adam hiding in the groupetto for two weeks shows up just for this. Great management, 2nd to Quick Step. Been a Scott fan all along. Lopez is going to be around for a while and his aggressiveness is a joy to watch, I canít help but root for him, like Contador. Attack, attack, attack. Iím loving Roglic and Kreisweik on Lotto. They are here to stay and the team is filling in nicely around them. Their TDF result was a joy. Mijka worked his tail off, a former TdF KOM but Iím not sure what he has in his future? Zakarin had the early crash so who knows where heís at, awful race for him. Nibali is coming off spinal surgery, I donít know how he raced at all. This is definitely not F^]Ö%NG soccer! Aru looks done and dusted and angry about it, so sorry Campy!

This has been a fabulous race! Tomorrow is for the sprinters and champagne. The world tours are something very special, so many races within races, so much to gain or lose and so much of that only to the trained eye.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I really hope Quintana is punished for what he did in this race. He cost Valverde his podium. Doesn't matter that they forced him to go back and pace Valverde later. He already did the damage on two consecutive days. It was almost like if I can't get a podium I can't deal with a teammate getting one.

Rashadabd, care about cycling, just not the Grand Tours. I've never liked the Tour and it's been my least favorite race of the year for years. I've gotten to the point I really just don't like any of the Grand Tours very much at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Rashadabd, care about cycling, just not the Grand Tours. I've never liked the Tour and it's been my least favorite race of the year for years. I've gotten to the point I really just don't like any of the Grand Tours very much at all.
    Ok, but it sounds like you are just really upset. Maybe take a break and think about something else for a while and come back to all of this at a later date? You seem to have a lot of serious stuff going on right now. My impression is that you like bike racing generally and while grand tours may not be your favorite, you enjoy the racing that takes place in those events when you are in a better place. No need to get worked up about this. Take care and I hope you feel better and are back home soon.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 1 Week Ago at 09:29 PM.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I really hope Quintana is punished for what he did in this race. He cost Valverde his podium. Doesn't matter that they forced him to go back and pace Valverde later. He already did the damage on two consecutive days. It was almost like if I can't get a podium I can't deal with a teammate getting one.
    I agree with you 100% and this "in-fighting" seemed evident in the TdF also. Movistar has great talent, but maybe management has to make some hard decisions as to who is working for who.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    The team has been great throughout the whole Vuelta and Nairo has shown today he knows how to be a great team-mate and be by my side. I thank him for that,Ē Valverde said. ďItís painful to come off the podium, but when you give it everything, you canít ask for more.
    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...untains-394499

RoadBikeReview Member
    Rashadabd, I am. Movistar has cost Valverde history for the 2nd time in as many Vueltas. That is unforgivable. They owe him much better than that. Yeah, maybe we weren't evacuated it wouldn't be as bad. I have no idea how my home is although I have heard the road behind ours is flooded.

ngl, the team is a disaster right now and we've seen that since the season started and it's just gotten worse.

coldcash, that's just typical Alejandro. I was talking to his sister-in-law yesterday (she and I are good friends). She said he'll have forgotten about the whole thing by the time they get home from Madrid. He doesn't let much bother him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Sitting here listening to the commentary and halfway watching the final kilometers of this yearís last grand tour, my thoughts returned to the question I posed yesterday. My thoughts are this: if you want to follow a team that has a guy that has a legitimate shot at winning a grand tour next season, your options are limited.

You have Sky with Froome and Thomas; Sunweb with Dumoulin, Mitchellton with Yates, Quickstep with Mas (but only if they provide him with support), Astana with Lopez and/or Fuglsang; and Bahrain with Nibali. I feel like everyone else is fighting for podium spots and lower placings. That being said, I donít think Lotto NL Jumbo are that far off and if Porte could stay upright or if Quintana can find his pre 2017 form, they are threats too.

While there are lots of good 1 week stage racers out there, legit threats to win a grand tour seems to be limited to a select few these days, particularly when you factor in team resources and dynamics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Moviestar has a great supporting cast of domestiques that is probably second only to Sky. Their problem is that they don't really have a consistently legit GC contender. I think Geraint Thomas would fit nicely in here. Quintana and Valderde ain't cutting it at this point no matter how you slice it and dice it. The "in fighting" is really not an in fighting at all, it's really a manifestation of not having a legit GC guy. "GC by committee" is not the answer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Moviestar has a great supporting cast of domestiques that is probably second only to Sky. Their problem is that they don't really have a consistently legit GC contender. I think Geraint Thomas would fit nicely in here. Quintana and Valderde ain't cutting it at this point no matter how you slice it and dice it. The "in fighting" is really not an in fighting at all, it's really a manifestation of not having a legit GC guy. "GC by committee" is not the answer.
    I pretty much agree. Unfortunately, Thomas extended with Sky officially a few days or so ago. If I were them, I would pursue Mas or Lopez aggressively.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Movistar seems to like GC by committee for some reason. However, I do agree for a GC team they aren't exactly very good at finding top GC talent. My guess is that they may let Quintana and Landa go after next year and go after Mas. Valverde isn't going anywhere if he wants to keep racing.

I agree Lotto Jumbo is close and I'm interested in seeing how Kuss develops over the next few years.

off the back
    I think Soler might be their next big GC hope. And I'd keep Landa, no reason why he can't win a Giro or a Vuelta. But I'd let Quintana off to find greener pastures. mas would be a good signing, if they could afford him, or if they could pry that young kid away from Sky.

otherwise, raid the Caja and Euskadel teams for their top promising talent.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think they are working on developing Soler. I'd like to see him go to the Giro and Vuelta next year with Valverde. My idea would be have Soler ride for GC at the Giro, but with Valverde there he won't have all the pressure on him and he'll be able to rely on Valverde for advice and help. Obviously the Vuelta give to Valverde for one more shot at getting that historic podium.
    Quintana needs to go. He doesn't fit with the team. Landa, well that will be up to Landa. I would definitely go after Mas. Bring in another young Spaniard to the Spanish team, plus Mas is the first Spaniard to podium in a Grand Tour under the age of 24 since Valverde.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thank God that college football has begun, or I would be going into post-GT season depression. This was a good Vuelta. Valverde had an incredible GT season, considering his serious injury last year. Valverde had an incredible Gt season, all around. I am not sure what Quintana is waiting for, but he looked lackluster, relative to the hype and apparent team expectations, all GT season.

Ah, well. That is about all that I care to comment here regarding any of the GTs, since this RBR pro cycling forum has gotten so lousy in the recent couple of years.

Maybe the new RBR ownership can figure out how to support and police RBR and improve things a bit.

Everyone, do what you can to cope with post-GT-season withdrawal, and be safe out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Not sure why people are bashing on Quintana, asking him to do more than he's capable of. At this level of GC contender, it's all about the physiology. It's either you have it or you don't. There isn't much skills involved, there is no mind game to be played much. People say Quintana attacks are not strong enough, he fades. Well guess what, I'm sure his mind wants to go, but the physiology is just maxed out. As I have said before, I think Quintana is not doping hard enough like the other guys, and he needs to get on the program.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast