Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54

Thread: La Vuelta

  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: KoroninK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,992

    La Vuelta

    Pre race thread. Most if not all teams have announced their line ups. Landa is out with injury, which apparently he did have a set back last week, thus making his participation impossible, also means it's highly unlikely he'll be selected for the Spanish National team for the Worlds.

    Movistar's team has co leaders (Valverde and Quintana) and only 2 Spanish riders also meaning the Spanish National team will be looking for riders from other teams for their Worlds team and yes that does mean they will intentionally be leaving off their worlds team some very good climbers simply because they are not at la Vuelta. Movistar's roster is also weak and a lot weaker than it was just 2 years ago. It's really amazing how a team as strong as they were have completely destroyed themselves in two years after a mass exodus of riders.

    Lotto Jumbo is sending the young American Sepp Kuss to get some experience. It appears the Izagirre brothers are actually the leaders for Bahrain Merida as Nibali is still getting back from his injuries although will be at la Vuelta.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,937
    I want to see Porte racing. Ever since leaving Sky, this guy has so much bad luck with injuries.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,404
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I want to see Porte racing. Ever since leaving Sky, this guy has so much bad luck with injuries.
    I am curious about how he will perform as well. Heís had quite a bit success in one week races since leaving Sky, but grand tours have been a complete bust for him. Heís reportedly heading to Trek, so I am sure they will be paying close attention as well.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  4. #4
    Proud luddite
    Reputation: azpeterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,753
    Weíre hoping Louis Meintjes has a strong showing and is a GC contender.

  5. #5
    off the back
    Reputation: rufus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,320
    If I hear Sherwen say "Andalucian Lynx" one more time, I'm heaving something at my TV.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: KoroninK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,992
    I want the Eurosport feed. I'm even willing to pay for that. Plus Sean Kelley is doing their broadcasts. I do not know much longer I can take the US announcers. There are some riders names they can't pronounce correctly (and some are not actually that difficult to pronounce). Then, yeah, I agree with rufus, some of the other things they say. I've had enough. Also love their wonderful idea of hey this is a great random stage to put on NBCsports.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    21,787
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    I want the Eurosport feed. I'm even willing to pay for that. Plus Sean Kelley is doing their broadcasts. I do not know much longer I can take the US announcers. There are some riders names they can't pronounce correctly (and some are not actually that difficult to pronounce). Then, yeah, I agree with rufus, some of the other things they say. I've had enough. Also love their wonderful idea of hey this is a great random stage to put on NBCsports.
    Me too!

    OK internetz wizards help two of your colleagues out here on how to get Eurosports please. Oh computer-duming-m-I.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: KoroninK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,992
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Me too!

    OK internetz wizards help two of your colleagues out here on how to get Eurosports please. Oh computer-duming-m-I.
    For straight streaming I have found links, but unfortunately that doesn't help when you're sleeping or working.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Me too!

    OK internetz wizards help two of your colleagues out here on how to get Eurosports please. Oh computer-duming-m-I.
    I use a VPN connection to the UK through PureVPN:
    https://goo.gl/8V0UNm

    I use a VPN router
    http://www.sabaitechnology.com/#_l_kg
    that handles all this for me and that is permanently connected to the UK, but you can also connect directly with your device.

    Then all I do is take whatever device I want to watch Eurosport on and tell the router to pass that device's traffic via the VPN connection (simply click on the Vpn button next to the device's name in the list of devices on the network). Then all you need to do is connect to the Eurosport server in the UK:
    http://eurosportplayer.co.uk/
    sign up for an account and you have unlimited access.

    I can use my PC, smart phone or any of my Kodi media players as they now have a Eurosport player add-on that uses your login account info. All that costs under $10/mo. I do the annual package since like to watch the Nordic ski coverage in the winter. This costs me less than what I used to pay for just the DirecTV sports package to get the channels that carried cycling.

    Having a VPN service is very beneficial outside of Eurosport, e.g. connecting to public WiFi. Before I had one, I found it hard to imagine what it could be used for. But as the saying goes, "If you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail". VPN is like that, once you make that jump, you wonder how you managed without it.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: KoroninK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,992
    TY for the info. Will look into it.

    On a note about today's Vuelta stage, Movistar managed to made the split with the wind, which is not typical of that team. On the other hand it may have helped that Valverde is racing on his home roads (his training roads) over the next several stages, so first hand knowledge certainly could have helped with this.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: KoroninK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,992
    Stage 7, nice win for Gallopin. Benoot has a nasty knee injury, hope he'll be ok. Happy to see Sepp Kuss get a top 10 finish on the stage. Unexpected, but nice. Maybe if he does that a few more times they'll put the race on TV over here? Of course a few words about my boy. They started the stage near his home and he had tons of friends and family at the start including members of his amateur team. Although he didn't win, he does currently hold both the green and white jerseys and is 2nd overall in GC. His comment about if he's going for GC or not today was: I'm in a good spot, we'll see, can't rule it out, just let's wait and see and take it little by little.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    44
    The race is on the Olympic Channel. Iíve watched every stage except the beginning TT. Sherwen and Roll though sometimes annoying are far superior to Sherwen and Liggett. The race has been quite exciting even when the producers screw up (like stage 5 - Clarke, DeMarchi and Mollema looking at each other in the finale and waiting like track racers at the front as the next three fast men steam up quickly towards them ó so dramatic but the feed cuts to the irrelevant peloton 4 minutes behind ó no excuse for that).

    If only they would show the Giro in the US.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: KoroninK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,992
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    The race is on the Olympic Channel. Iíve watched every stage except the beginning TT. Sherwen and Roll though sometimes annoying are far superior to Sherwen and Liggett. The race has been quite exciting even when the producers screw up (like stage 5 - Clarke, DeMarchi and Mollema looking at each other in the finale and waiting like track racers at the front as the next three fast men steam up quickly towards them ó so dramatic but the feed cuts to the irrelevant peloton 4 minutes behind ó no excuse for that).

    If only they would show the Giro in the US.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A lot of people don't have that channel and can't watch the streaming due to work.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,838
    Oscar Rodriguez is the best moment of a great Vuelta so far! So happy for him on such an amazing stage win! He smoked a TDF KOM and a convincing Giro race leader in that break. A Basque rider on a Basque team in the mountains of Spain. Just poetic perfection, congrats Oscar, you deserve the champagne tonight alright!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: KoroninK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,992
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Oscar Rodriguez is the best moment of a great Vuelta so far! So happy for him on such an amazing stage win! He smoked a TDF KOM and a convincing Giro race leader in that break. A Basque rider on a Basque team in the mountains of Spain. Just poetic perfection, congrats Oscar, you deserve the champagne tonight alright!
    And thus showing it's great to have a Basque team back at the Pro Conti level. Although before today I'd have gone with De Marchi's win as the best moment of the Vuelta. I think these two are definitely in the running for that prize.

    The winner's team today said they have other riders picked for the rest of the mountain stages to try to do the same thing and that they have had them intentionally saving energy for their one day attempts.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,838
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    And thus showing it's great to have a Basque team back at the Pro Conti level. Although before today I'd have gone with De Marchi's win as the best moment of the Vuelta. I think these two are definitely in the running for that prize.

    The winner's team today said they have other riders picked for the rest of the mountain stages to try to do the same thing and that they have had them intentionally saving energy for their one day attempts.
    So many great stages so far! Ben King killing himself to beat Mollema, thatís a great finish as well!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,404
    Wow! What a stage today! One of my favorite stages from any race this year. If you like climbing at all, make sure you find a way to watch this one. The last 50km or so weíre outstanding.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Wow! What a stage today! One of my favorite stages from any race this year. If you like climbing at all, make sure you find a way to watch this one. The last 50km or so weíre outstanding.
    Absolutely! Last 50K are incredible bike racing! Some of everything great about cycling! And a closing grade that is inhuman! It has been a great Vuelta! Year after year now, itís bevomming my favorite tour!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,404
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Absolutely! Last 50K are incredible bike racing! Some of everything great about cycling! And a closing grade that is inhuman! It has been a great Vuelta! Year after year now, itís bevomming my favorite tour!
    I think I am with you at this point. I used to be a big Giro guy, but the Vuelta is where itís at. Todayís stage proved that.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,404
    Man, I have gained a lot of respect for Pinot and Yates at this yearís Vuelta thus far. My goodness. Great racing today as well.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: El Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    759
    I think the Vuelta has been my favorite Grand Tour for a while now. The end of the season brings a last chance for redemption, an opportunity to salvage the year, so guys seem to go for it. There are also some lesser name guys that might still be looking for that next contract, it makes for some exciting stuff.

    Also agreed on Yates showing us something. He had no reason to keep attacking today, and conventional wisdom says he should sit on and just cover any moves by the contenders, but he just kept going back to the well...maybe the best defense is to attack.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,838
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    I think the Vuelta has been my favorite Grand Tour for a while now. The end of the season brings a last chance for redemption, an opportunity to salvage the year, so guys seem to go for it. There are also some lesser name guys that might still be looking for that next contract, it makes for some exciting stuff.

    Also agreed on Yates showing us something. He had no reason to keep attacking today, and conventional wisdom says he should sit on and just cover any moves by the contenders, but he just kept going back to the well...maybe the best defense is to attack.
    Maybe it is because Sky only has 1 of their 4 GC contenders in this race? This hS been such a great race, I mwan Porte in a break, Nibali pulling on a cat 3 to blow apart the peloton... the brutal, painful climbing finishes, hell, even the ďflatĒ stages are seeing 2K meters of climbing. Movistar is hard to understand, what are they doing? I know Valverde is a special rider, but he seems to be outclimbing himself these last 2stages? And Niro? Can he find the steep attack? Are those two racing each other? Is Valverde really an elite climber? He can smoke Bennett, Keldemann, Adam Yates, Kreisweik? Van Poppel pulling himself into oblivion! Fraeile and Haig just turning themselves inside out for their GC leaders... So much to talk about!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    567
    Iíve enjoyed the race so far but it is a bit of an unusual selection of riders with many e.g. Nibali, Uran, Porte not at their best/recovering from injury and others e.g. Froome, Thomas, Roglic, Alaphilippe riding in the Tour of Britain (some to wind down their season and others to prepare for the Worlds) and, of course, Dumoulin for whom it would have been a third GT. I like the Vuelta but it is behind the Giro for me (- and both well in front of the TdF, IMO)

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,404
    Quote Originally Posted by coldash View Post
    Iíve enjoyed the race so far but it is a bit of an unusual selection of riders with many e.g. Nibali, Uran, Porte not at their best/recovering from injury and others e.g. Froome, Thomas, Roglic, Alaphilippe riding in the Tour of Britain (some to wind down their season and others to prepare for the Worlds) and, of course, Dumoulin for whom it would have been a third GT. I like the Vuelta but it is behind the Giro for me (- and both well in front of the TdF, IMO)
    That used to be my assessment of the Vuelta as well (very few racers come to the event fresh and targeting it as their big goal), but now I feel like so many big names crash out of or underperform at the Giro and TdF that the Vuelta is the race where it all comes together for some guys and they seem to consistently put on the most exciting race/route.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: El Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    That used to be my assessment of the Vuelta as well (very few racers come to the event fresh and targeting it as their big goal), but now I feel like so many big names crash out of or underperform at the Giro and TdF that the Vuelta is the race where it all comes together for some guys and they seem to consistently put on the most exciting race/route.
    Agreed. More great racing today.

    On a side note, I would like to see if we can get Yates to switch glasses to something that actually fits the elf like dimensions of his face. It looks like he's wearing ski goggles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vuelta Corsa Lite vs Vuelta SLR
    By ex_machina in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2016, 12:18 PM
  2. Vuelta vs. TdF: Would Wiggins have a harder time in Vuelta?
    By aclinjury in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 02:34 PM
  3. vuelta or vuelta?
    By Peanya in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 08:05 PM
  4. vuelta..
    By colker1 in forum Other Builders
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 11:21 AM
  5. Vuelta a Murcia non-leaders jerseys?
    By PdxMark in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 11:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.