Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Where's that GPS?

Milano-SanRemo 2013

Name:  Milano Sanremo Logo.jpg
Views: 1985
Size:  6.5 KB

La Classicissima

A one-day Italian Classic, this year's 104th edition will host numerous former winners such as, Simon Gerrans, Matt Goss, Mark Cavendish, Fabian Cancellara, Filippo Pozzato and Alessandro Petacchi as well as numerous riders who could be seen as potential alternative winners this year, like
    Cadel Evans, Philippe Gilbert, Moreno Moser, Peter Sagan, Andre Greipel, Tom Boonen, Michael Albasini and Thomas Geraint just to name a few.

Given his recent exploits, I feel I must tip Peter Sagan (Cannondale) for the win in San Remo.

From Cyclingnews et.al.:

Startlist Milano-Sanremo, Milano - Sanremo 2013 - CyclingFever - The International Cycling Social Network - Get the Cycling fever!

Milan-San Remo: Top 10 Contenders | Cyclingnews.com

Milano Sanremo

Live Coverage Of Milan-San Remo On Cyclingnews | Cyclingnews.com

Milan-San Remo: Iconic Images | Cyclingnews.com

inrng : milan-sanremo preview

Pozzato Wary Of Cavendish At Milan-San Remo | Cyclingnews.com

Blanco Hedging Their Bets For Milan-Sanremo | Cyclingnews.com

Orica GreenEdge Banking On Bunch Sprint For Milan-Sanremo | Cyclingnews.com

Cancellara, Boonen Headline Teams For Milan-Sanremo | Cyclingnews.com

MTN-Qhubeka Makes Classics Debut In Milan-San Remo | Cyclingnews.com

Roelandts And Greipel As Co-captains For Milan-Sanremo | Cyclingnews.com

Last Orders For Cavendish In Milan-San Remo Saloon? | Cyclingnews.com

Muscle Injury Not Ideal For Degenkolb Ahead Of Milan-Sanremo | Cyclingnews.com

Cancellara Ready For Milan-San Remo Showdown | Cyclingnews.com

Farrar Looks For Milan-San Remo Performance | Cyclingnews.com

Haussler Looks To Heavens For Milan-San Remo | Cyclingnews.com

Sagan Unperturbed By Cancellara Comments Ahead Of Milan-San Remo | Cyclingnews.com

Phinney Stronger, More Confident For Milan-San Remo | Cyclingnews.com

BMC?s Big Guns Ready To Fire At Milan-San Remo | Cyclingnews.com

Cavendish: It's Going To Take A Miracle To Beat Sagan | Cyclingnews.com

Moser To Support Sagan In Milan-San Remo | Cyclingnews.com

Milano-SanRemo 2013-milan-sanremo-profile.jpg

Milano-SanRemo 2013-milan-sanremo-map.jpg
    Last edited by LostViking; 03-16-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agreed, Sagan is killing at Tirreno-Adriatico.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    It looks like there will be no live or tape delayed TV coverage of Milan San Remo in the United State. Cycling.tv will only offer post race highlights.

Where's that GPS?
    Perhaps a Eurosport or Italian TV feed?
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

LA CHEVRE
    Looking at BMC, I doubt Evans will be a factor by the way he was riding at Tirreno... But Thor Hushovd finished 9th on the crazy hard day Sagan won with Nibali taking the GC, he's a bit under the radar these days but his form his getting good. I'd add Thor on the 'maybe' list, Nibali too although Nibz would need to attack so hard on the ascent and descent of the Poggio to get to the line alone. He'll try but I doubt he will succeed.

Weather could play a huge factor, the forecast calls for chances of snow early in the race and rain later... Crappy weather combined with 300km, I don't see a big group coming together.

All things considered, Sagan's my pick too.

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Sagan is looking pretty devastating. Won the bunch sprint for 4th last year, and could just as easily make a move on the Poggio.

As far as BMC goes, I heard Gilbert wants to add MSR to his palmares, and seems in decent form. I agree that Hushovd could be a good dark horse.

I reckon it could be a (small'ish) bunch sprint. A lot of the top sprinters are up and about with good early season form, and their teams will work for them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Barring happenstance, Sagan should take this.

your text here
    Sagan is crushing it, but Gilbert wants it. Who is better descender?
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

your text here
    Could nibali be a threat?

your text here
    Omega pharma quickstep kit kat is stacked at this race. Too bad boonen is using it as a warm up...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Please let us know if anyone finds a live feed. MSR is one of my favorites and it was a treat to have Universal cover it last year.

your text here
    Not certain, but in past years they have made last minute deals to get this on the air. Not sure what the hockey schedule is, but I know that will impact their decision to air it.

Hucken The Fard Up !

Milano-SanRemo 2013

My money is on Sagan
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

Roadbike Rider
    Sagan is a clear favourite since he can cover all the attacks and win from almost any group. If not Sagan then a large bunch at the finish with the best chance going to Goss or Cavendish.

I like Nibali and Hushovd as dark horses, although against Sagan they are all dark horses.
    "It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button. "
    John Brunner (Stand on Zanzibar)

LA CHEVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post
    Sagan is crushing it, but Gilbert wants it. Who is better descender?
    Not sure about Gilbert, he's not a Schleck that for sure but is he as good as Nibali? Sagan though is among the best descenders of the peloton... Remember Tour de Suisse 2011 stage 3? Commentators were stressed out by how fast and risky Cunego was descending... only to have Sagan catching him before the descent was over (then easily outsprinting him). I doubt anyone can drop Sagan on the descent but with rain, we're sure going to see some action there.

But I'm doubting Gilbert's form. He's much better than last year at this time of the season but he's not yet in top form, he's probably aiming to peak for the Ardennes again.

Nibali could take it but his margin is very small. Can he attack and drop everyone in the climb of the Poggio then keep his gap growing in the descent? That's the only scenario that can get him across the line first I think, if he's not alone for the line, he wont win (unless he's with teammates only).

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Remember Tour de Suisse 2011 stage 3?
    No, I hadn't seen that before. Thanks for posting it.

Sagan just continues to amaze. I mean, going of the front of a field like that, on a hill like that ... wow! An then,, oh by the way, he's got a brilliant finish. Ya gotta like him for a race like M-SR.

JSR

Get me to In&Out
    I would love to see Gilbert win it and give him an outside chance. You guys are all big on Sagan, but he has had two easy years sitting in on guys. I think that card is played out now and he will have to use his team as everyone else does. Except for moser, his team doesn't have it. Teams aren't going to put up with his tactics any more. Cancellara already called him out on it, and I am sure he isn't alone, just the only favorite to openly say he will sit up if sagwagon isn't working in a break. He said he is done towing him to the line.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    I would love to see Gilbert win it and give him an outside chance. You guys are all big on Sagan, but he has had two easy years sitting in on guys. I think that card is played out now and he will have to use his team as everyone else does. Except for moser, his team doesn't have it. Teams aren't going to put up with his tactics any more. Cancellara already called him out on it, and I am sure he isn't alone, just the only favorite to openly say he will sit up if sagwagon isn't working in a break. He said he is done towing him to the line.
    There seems to be plenty of riders Cancellara will tow to the line. so why the hate on sagan.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cancellara can eat it. Sagan has shown over and over again he is more than willing to ride on the front if it makes sense to do so (watch his exploits in last years classics of his last stage win at T-A). Fabs is a one trick pony (so far) but in his eyes its always someone elses fault.

Segans response was priceless, he basicly said if Fabs won't work they can go back to the group because he can still spring while Cancellera dosn't really have that option.

Get me to In&Out
    Quote Originally Posted by 32and3cross View Post
    Fabs is a one trick pony (so far) but in his eyes its always someone elses fault.
    His one trick is to go to the front and ride everyone off his wheel. Sagan is young and naive. I remember when Boonen had his ego. Same with Petacchi. He is not new, just a new iteration of them. Sagan can talk when he wins half as many world titles as Cancellara, or at least half as many classics.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Where's that GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Not sure about Gilbert, he's not a Schleck that for sure but is he as good as Nibali? Sagan though is among the best descenders of the peloton... Remember Tour de Suisse 2011 stage 3? Commentators were stressed out by how fast and risky Cunego was descending... only to have Sagan catching him before the descent was over (then easily outsprinting him). I doubt anyone can drop Sagan on the descent but with rain, we're sure going to see some action there.

But I'm doubting Gilbert's form. He's much better than last year at this time of the season but he's not yet in top form, he's probably aiming to peak for the Ardennes again.

Nibali could take it but his margin is very small. Can he attack and drop everyone in the climb of the Poggio then keep his gap growing in the descent? That's the only scenario that can get him across the line first I think, if he's not alone for the line, he wont win (unless he's with teammates only).
    Okay, Sagan is scary good - but I was most impressed with the moto driver!
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004
    They can "sit up" all they want...Sagan will then win the bunch sprint. That's what makes the guy such a phenomenal talent he can deal with literally every tactic and still come out the winner.

Where's that GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    There seems to be plenty of riders Cancellara will tow to the line. so why the hate on sagan.
    Agreed - Fabu seems willing to tow my old aunt to the finish - why draw the line at Sagan?
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

your text here
    Finally read the Fabian article over at cyclingnews. He seems to be down on Sagan for always following his wheel. But everyone has done that as of late. Was it last year or the year before he refused to work and let a group catch him and his shadow? Was it Thor?

Anyway, Sagan is the clear favorite. Nibali is a great descender, but I think the finish line is too far.

With so many paranoid riders, this might be a year the early break wins it.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    You've got to see this:
    inrng : milan-sanremo documentary
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast