Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008

No cycling on NBCSN in 2018?

Does anyone know if NBC is broadcasting cycling? All the cycling races are listed only under their streaming service.
    I am probably the last person to have received an email from Sheldon Brown! A very nice gentleman.

2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple
    105 Shifter/derailleurs
    FSA Gossamer Triple MegaExo
    BWW Blackset Race 11 wheels
    Continental Gators 25c
    Kool Stop Salmon brake pads
    Cateye Strada Double Wireless CC-RD400DW
    Sigma PC-9 HRM
    RADBOT-1000 rear strobe flasher
    Blaze 1/2w LED headlight

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, it does look like aren't going to show any of it on TV. That sucks. I will under no circumstances pay for their streaming services. Guess we'll have to hope we can find other internet coverage. I really wish we could get Eurosport on TV here. Unfortunately I was afraid this would happen when they bought out Universal and they dumped most of the races to streaming only and hardly put any cycling on TV last year.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Wow, it does look like aren't going to show any of it on TV. That sucks. I will under no circumstances pay for their streaming services. Guess we'll have to hope we can find other internet coverage. I really wish we could get Eurosport on TV here. Unfortunately I was afraid this would happen when they bought out Universal and they dumped most of the races to streaming only and hardly put any cycling on TV last year.

You couldn't pay me to watch a TV feed in the USA. 70/30 ratio of fluff and "in-studio" and commercials to actual race content. NBC Gold is worth it. Now that my Eurosport is back to working via VPN I'll need to decide come Summer whether to renew.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    You couldn't pay me to watch a TV feed in the USA. 70/30 ratio of fluff and "in-studio" and commercials to actual race content. NBC Gold is worth it. Now that my Eurosport is back to working via VPN I'll need to decide come Summer whether to renew.
    I have a link for Eurosport, unfortunately steaming is useless when I'm working or sleeping. I need to find some place to watch Eurosports broadcasts a few hours after the race is over.
    My husband also said he was going to see if the VPN he's paying for on his computer can be used on more than one computer or not.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I have a link for Eurosport, unfortunately steaming is useless when I'm working or sleeping. I need to find some place to watch Eurosports broadcasts a few hours after the race is over.
    My husband also said he was going to see if the VPN he's paying for on his computer can be used on more than one computer or not.

Eurosport has on-demand as does NBC Gold. Eurosport UK's feeds have commercials these days, whereas NBC Gold is commercial free (or optional TV feed with all the commercials and fluff). Note that NBC Gold does not work even on a domestic VPN--NBC wants to spy your connection out.

IIRC Gold doesn't cover the Giro for god knows what reason.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Eurosport has on-demand as does NBC Gold. Eurosport UK's feeds have commercials these days, whereas NBC Gold is commercial free (or optional TV feed with all the commercials and fluff). Note that NBC Gold does not work even on a domestic VPN--NBC wants to spy your connection out.

IIRC Gold doesn't cover the Giro for god knows what reason.
    The link I have for Eurosport that doesn't need a VPN is streaming only, no on-demand. But if I can get Eurosport on demand with a VPN I'll do that. I'm not giving NBC money for streaming when I'm already paying my satellite company for their TV channels. I also much prefer Eurosports announcers.
    NBC doesn't have the rights to any of the Italian races.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Really slick how the subscription for NBC Gold only runs from the previous year's TdF to the Dauphine the following year. So if I sign up now I'm only good until June.

Seriously, get a clue NBC. Actually, don't. This will give me the excuse I need to drop NBCSN and the Olympic channel. Morons

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just fired off an email (and Facebook post) FWIW. I'm sure they're quivering in their boots, lol.

Hello,

As a fervent cycling fan, I find myself considerably dismayed over NBC's decision to forego television coverage of ALL of cycling's major events this season. That this comes on my decision last season to upgrade my cable service to afford me access to NBCSN and the Olympic channel, thereby allowing me access to watch these events, is especially disheartening.

Given this, I explored the only option left to me, NBC Gold. While the price of $29.99 is one that I am willing to pay (especially after I drop the now unwanted, aforementioned channels), the fact that NBC has made what can only be seen as an exploitative decision to bilk customers out of more money by excluding the sport's biggest event, the Tour de France, from said package is a decision that will more than likely preclude me from subscribing.

Cycling is (finally) entering the mainstream again as a fun sport to not only participate in, but to watch as well. Hopefully you as a network will recognize the opportunity to continue to bring more fans to the sport by making it more accessible, not less, as this current decision does.

Best regards,

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    Just fired off an email (and Facebook post) FWIW. I'm sure they're quivering in their boots, lol.

Hello,

As a fervent cycling fan, I find myself considerably dismayed over NBC's decision to forego television coverage of ALL of cycling's major events this season. That this comes on my decision last season to upgrade my cable service to afford me access to NBCSN and the Olympic channel, thereby allowing me access to watch these events, is especially disheartening.

Given this, I explored the only option left to me, NBC Gold. While the price of $29.99 is one that I am willing to pay (especially after I drop the now unwanted, aforementioned channels), the fact that NBC has made what can only be seen as an exploitative decision to bilk customers out of more money by excluding the sport's biggest event, the Tour de France, from said package is a decision that will more than likely preclude me from subscribing.

Cycling is (finally) entering the mainstream again as a fun sport to not only participate in, but to watch as well. Hopefully you as a network will recognize the opportunity to continue to bring more fans to the sport by making it more accessible, not less, as this current decision does.

Best regards,
    Jeez... kiss your mother with that mouth?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Jeez... kiss your mother with that mouth?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lol, we cyclists can be pretty profane.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    so they are basically going to charge you $60 a year to watch a whole season of pro cycling, huh? That's so lame.... I feel like I am resourceful enough not to fall for that, but I do like the simplicity of just being able to log on and watch. We'll see, but I am probably a "no way" as well.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    VPNs are cheaper and we need to find You Tube channels that have the races. Heck if we have to listen in other languages, maybe we'll pick up a new language while we're at it. Can't be the worst thing in the world.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    VPNs are cheaper and we need to find You Tube channels that have the races. Heck if we have to listen in other languages, maybe we'll pick up a new language while we're at it. Can't be the worst thing in the world.
    I just feel like if I am paying $60 a season, I should get every major race on the World Tour calendar, not just some of the biggest races. They don't give you Flanders (one of the biggest Classics of the year), the freaking Giro D'talia (my favorite stage race), Strade Bianche (another one of my favorites), Amstel Gold, etc. It feels like overpaying for a substandard product basically. I like that it comes with on-demand, but they probably aren't getting my money without Flanders and the major Italian races though.

Trek already streams a bunch of cyclocross races and Redbull streams the MTB XCO world cups, so I don't need all of that and they probably know it. Booo NBC!
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I just feel like if I am paying $60 a season, I should get every major race on the World Tour calendar, not just some of the biggest races. They don't give you Flanders (one of the biggest Classics of the year), the freaking Giro D'talia (my favorite stage race), Strade Bianche (another one of my favorites), Amstel Gold, etc. It feels like overpaying for a substandard product basically. I like that it comes with on-demand, but they probably aren't getting my money without Flanders and the major Italian races though.

Trek already streams a bunch of cyclocross races and Redbull streams the MTB XCO world cups, so I don't need all of that and they probably know it. Booo NBC!
    Exactly. Plus $60 if ridiculous for their coverage in the first place. For that kind of money I want Eurosports announcers plus Flanders, the Giro, Strade-Bianche, Lombardia and all the Spanish races (Valencia, Catalonia, Basques, Valencia and San Sebastian). Heck at this point with Contador doing some of the Spanish language telecasts I also want the option for Spanish Eurosport coverage as well. Who knows maybe we can actually learn it in the process.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Wow...first F1, and now cycling? What will they have left? Curling?????
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Wow...first F1, and now cycling? What will they have left? Curling?????
    They seem to think the only sport that exists is NASCAR for some reason. Somehow we need to find a way to get Eurosport into this country.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    They seem to think the only sport that exists is NASCAR for some reason. Somehow we need to find a way to get Eurosport into this country.

Eurosport is owned by the Discovery Communications....who are also responsible for all those trash "reality" fishing shows, The Oprah Winfrey Network, "Dirty Jobs", the joke of Shark Week, Myth busting....and who could forget the show "Man Versus Wild"-that was outed as being entirely faked....Also the "Alaskan Bush People", whose stars plead guilty to fraud....the star of Sons of Guns who was arrested on child molestation....the garage in "Highway to Sell" was under investigation for fraud...and the star of "American Guns" was also arrested for fraud.

Honestly post Discovery buyout (2014)....Eurosport has gone down hill in quality, and becomes more like NBC every year. Commercials are almost as bad, as is the useless editorial garbage they think viewers want.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Eurosport is owned by the Discovery Communications....who are also responsible for all those trash "reality" fishing shows, The Oprah Winfrey Network, "Dirty Jobs", the joke of Shark Week, Myth busting....and who could forget the show "Man Versus Wild"-that was outed as being entirely faked....Also the "Alaskan Bush People", whose stars plead guilty to fraud....the star of Sons of Guns who was arrested on child molestation....the garage in "Highway to Sell" was under investigation for fraud...and the star of "American Guns" was also arrested for fraud.

Honestly post Discovery buyout (2014)....Eurosport has gone down hill in quality, and becomes more like NBC every year. Commercials are almost as bad, as is the useless editorial garbage they think viewers want.
    Thanks Marc! How soon after a stage are the on demand races available?
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Thanks Marc! How soon after a stage are the on demand races available?
    IIRC a half dozen hours usually. US Central time, the race airs in the morning-it'll be on-demand by mid/late-afternoon. Least that is how it used to be. Sometimes it takes longer. Their on-demand of a stage is usually left up for a week or two weeks after that stage.

For much of last year my VPN gateway's UK IP addy was blacklisted by Eurosport and I was locked out of my account back around May. Couldn't even cancel it, as the My Account page was geo-blocked too. Was thinking of canceling once my year was up, then when I checked again in December it has been back to working again. First time in years of VPNing into Eurosport that has happened. FWIW the German/"International" feed has far fewer interruptions/commercials/crap than the UK feed. Least that was the case last year. But not all races had an English language audio on the International feed.

I can tell you how it is this year once Tour Down Under starts come Monday. At least I don't think there's any cycling live this weekend. I was locked out much of last year (and went all in on NBC Gold), so maybe it has changed.

I'm kind of split because honestly the NBC Gold has been very good for the most part...where they cover the race. No commercials/ads at all. I hate their blockage of UDP/VPN connections though-it is none of their business if I in the US access their site via a US VPN gateway (I do for privacy reasons).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the info Marc.

Russian Troll Farmer
    For much of last year my VPN gateway's UK IP addy was blacklisted by Eurosport and I was locked out of my account back around May. Couldn't even cancel it, as the My Account page was geo-blocked too. .....
    Marc; it sounds like you need to use a proxy server based in that country. Fairly easy to do, too.

BTW, keep us all posted as to what our options are this year. Last year's TdF after-the-stage reviews on MSNBC were awful. The live coverage used British commentators, but were not repeated. I was following live reports on the tdf.fr site (en francais...) for most days.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    An alternate opinion: $60/year is well worth the value. That's less than one month's worth of subscription TV, which I don't have, and it's commercial free, replayable, and fast-forwardable. And, I don't have to mess with choppy and wildly variable quality feeds from pop-up crazy questionable sources.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I don't think I had any issues with my VPN service and Eurosport last year. At most I may have had to re-start the connection which usually assigns a new IP address and/or server IP address. Just caught up on the Tour de Ski (XC) race last night. The one thing that the Eurosport player has finally go right is the proper handling of time zones on the schedules. They actually show up with my local times, both day and hour so you don't have to do the time shifting math in your head. And there is now an add-on for Kodi that seems to let you access the player from a Kodi media player. I need to try that one out some more to see what all features it has, so far I've only been able to access highlights videos.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moonmoth View Post
    An alternate opinion: $60/year is well worth the value. That's less than one month's worth of subscription TV, which I don't have, and it's commercial free, replayable, and fast-forwardable. And, I don't have to mess with choppy and wildly variable quality feeds from pop-up crazy questionable sources.
    Except many of us are already paying for cable/satellite TV and expect to have this on TV and not have to pay even MORE for their streaming service. I also refuse to pay for the announcers they currently have. There are only 2 I actually like listening too. If I'm going to pay for it I want announcers I actually like which would be Eurosports or give me a different language. I'm not paying extra to listen to Phil and Paul.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Except many of us are already paying for cable/satellite TV and expect to have this on TV and not have to pay even MORE for their streaming service. I also refuse to pay for the announcers they currently have. There are only 2 I actually like listening too. If I'm going to pay for it I want announcers I actually like which would be Eurosports or give me a different language. I'm not paying extra to listen to Phil and Paul.

The NBC Gold stream...as of last year....their commercial free stream was commentated by Matt Keenan and Robbie McEwan IIRC, only the commercial-filled as-live-on-TV stream had P&P. All the CX, being untelevised, is only commentated by Keenan.

Phil/Paul must have some some clause in their contract regarding limits of the use of their voice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast