NeoRetroGrouch

Notice all the flak about Ghent-Wevelgem/Kemmelberg?

Have you noticed all the press lately about that 'bad Kemmelberg' at Ghent-Wevelgem? They are even going over it in the opposite direction this year to make it safer. No one seems to mention that the primary cause of the accident last year was a pro rider who couldn't keep his water bottle in its cage on a bump. - TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Seems like a good idea to me to change something. It was dry and a bit dusty, which made the cobbles a bit slick. IMO, the water bottle thing was a small factor. There were multiple crashes every time the peloton went down that thing. Total carnage. It seemed to me the biggest cause of the crashing was some overreacting and a little too much grabbing of the front brake. Some of these guys could probably benefit from some more off-road riding experience. Still, they are pros, and if that many of them are crashing and burning then I'd say that the descent is a bit too dangerous in the wrong conditions.
    Last edited by GearDaddy; 01-14-2008 at 09:49 AM.

NeoRetroGrouch
    Quote Originally Posted by GearDaddy
    Seems like a good idea to me to change something. It was dry and a bit dusty, which made the cobbles a bit slick. IMO, the water bottle thing was a small factor. There were multiple crashes every time the peloton went down that thing. Total carnage. It seemed to me the biggest cause of the crashing was some overreacting and a little too much grabbing of the front brake. Some of these guys could probably benefit from some more off-road riding experience. Still, they are pros, and if that many of them are crashing and burning then I'd say that the descent is a bit too dangerous in the wrong conditions.
    I would say it was a major factor, but more importantly, it was one that could have been avoided by simply using good cages. - TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

Deliciously Ironic

Carbon rims

Lucky me to have been there that day, and was part of the collective gasp in the Wevelgem cafe watching it on tv. There'd already been two crashes on the previous laps, but not caught on camera as well as when Casper did the face-slide. A close-up of that image was front page on the local papers the next day, with more bloody images inside.

The amateurs raced the Kemmelberg the day before, and there were some problems too. But it's accepted as part of the sport. Notice how many medical people are standing there, ready to wipe up the mess. They are posted there for every race that goes over the Kemmel, that time of the year, it's just about every weekend.

No one over there was blaming the water bottle - mostly the blame was on the carbon rims not being compliant. The bigger issue for the team was that Casper was out for months, ie, not making money, and now Casper is suing the team for not paying his contract. Remember the same complaint about Arenberg after Museuuws' crash - they reversed the course etc. but three years later they were back on the same route.
    mohair_chair: And everyone knows that a menstruating woman attracts bears

buy my old bike stuff: https://sites.google.com/site/carbonscyclingcloset/

my playlist on Blip.fm: http://blip.fm/rollotommassi

waterproof*
    I'm usually in favor of hard core technical challenges, but when it gets to be obviously unsafe then why not re-route. The race will still be a classic, technical, steep cobbled, challenging. No sense in risking the careers of dozens of guys for no positive benefit.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.