Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    your text here

Post-Tour Chatter

Let's chat.

Cav looked trimmer than ever, but somehow lost on the stage he owns.

Kittel bookends the tour, which is cool.

Alp d'Huez isn't bad. The road they used after cresting the first time is. I am surprised nobody was seriously injured on that thing. But it was nice seeing pros riding a surface that looks like the majority of the roads around here.

Having a mountain stage as the penultimate stage makes for an exiting ending for those watching more than GC.

TeeJay and Quintana will be fun to watch.

The ceremony was pretty cool, and Froome had a nice lil jab at the press.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, Sky did as much as they could to make this one of the most boring tours ever. However, the other teams and riders, the new route's, and the evening finale saved the race. I was skeptical, but I really liked the late finish. Froome should have dubstepped to the Arc de Triomphe show...

You Phillip mah census
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    Well, Sky did as much as they could to make this one of the most boring tours ever. However, the other teams and riders, the new route's, and the evening finale saved the race. I was skeptical, but I really liked the late finish. Froome should have dubstepped to the Arc de Triomphe show...
    One of the best recent Tours. Froome showed a lot of class on the podium, Wiggins showed none by not showing up (all the previous tour winners were invited). In general, and chemistry notwithstanding, I think things are looking up for this race. We have a new climbing star with Quintana, Cav can't lord it over the sprinters the way he has done in the past. The old guard of Contador, Schleck and Evans are on their way out and the organisers came up with a challenging parcours and novel ending.

Man of the tour? Well it's Froome's victory but my hat goes off to Geraint Evans, he rode through agony for his team with a fractured pelvis after his day one crash. Yep, 3000 kilometres with a broken bottom. Beat that, Jens.

Edit: (On reflection Jens beating Geraint Evan's bottom is probably something no-one needs to see)

I'll be back home in Leeds for the 101st next year. That will be something else.

Cheers!
    Last edited by sir duke; 07-21-2013 at 09:15 PM.
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Probably not gonna happen, but I hope they have an ITT as the last stage in the Champs Elysees in the next TDF.

Get me to In&Out
    Can't wait to see who the next insta-star Sky puts forward next year. There is some second tier water grabber who will be their next super Lt. as well.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    I'm pretty sure Froome is originally from Kenya.

Fun TdF this year. Very enjoyable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005

Re: Post-Tour Chatter

I'd like to see an entire Tour with no ITTs

Where's that GPS?
    A lot of young riders really showcased themselves at this year's race - they will be interesting to follow. There seems to be a changing of the guard in full progress - I only hope it isn't just fresh faces doing the same old song and dance.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Seeing Quintana take 2nd in the GC, and the White and Polka Dot jerseys was great. Partly because he's simply a great rider, but also because people of his heritage have been oppressed in Latin American culture for years. Indigenous people are often looked at as second class citizens in Latin America, so it was just great to see Quintana up there so many times.

Where's that GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by SFTifoso View Post
    Seeing Quintana take 2nd in the GC, and the White and Polka Dot jerseys was great. Partly because he's simply a great rider, but also because people of his heritage have been oppressed in Latin American culture for years. Indigenous people are often looked at as second class citizens in Latin America, so it was just great to see Quintana up there so many times.
    Interesting point. We often forget what a great leveler sport can be. As cycling becomes less Euro-centric, we can look forward to more of the same I hope. In the States people like Jackie Robinson are lionized for helping to break color barriers - but it seems almost every nation has it's cultural or ethnic underclass and cycling has it's roots in this group of people - Quintana's family suffers discrimination and the financial effects of that discrimination - perhaps his career in cycling will help in some way? We can hope.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, Sky did as much as they could to make this one of the most boring tours ever...
    If that was their goal, they failed miserably, IMO.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

We have met the enemy...
    I watched less than previous years--darn work gets in the way sometimes.

I thought it was a really great tour--and I am heartened by the number of young riders who were in the mix. To see Quintana gap Froome on the last climb was fabulous...

I'll be tuning in next year...
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TirePopper View Post
    This morning I thought I would see what the chatter was, and of course, some fool has to bring his PC BS to a place where it is not needed. What does all this have to do with cycling ?
    dude, you need to move on. 11 posts and i'm already tired of your crap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    I thought Quintana was amazing, and really enjoyed watching Jens Voigt - the guy has a lot of heart. I knew he wouldn't be able to hang on yesterday but I was screaming at my TV cheering him on.
    I am waiting for someone to make a Froome bobble head ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Well, Sky did as much as they could to make this one of the most boring tours ever.
    You've been watching 2012 reruns.... The 2013 Tour was effin awesome

Master debator.
    I enjoyed the Tour this year. I couldn't really get behind Froome and cheer for him, I was at times wishing even Contador would win a stage to spice things up. I watched every stage on DVR except the time trial stages, I agree about not having them is a good thing. Of course it's a good measure of a riders all around abilities, but... there was a nice mix of stage winners, I for one hate the sprint wins and the lead-out trains blah blah blah.

The mountain stages are my favorite, just wish they could have more mountain top finishes instead of leaving enough room at the end for the peleton to consolidate again and sprint for it. Maybe more stages would be won by solo breakaways in that type of stage.

I was thinking last night when Froome made his comment about his win "standing the test of time" that I hope we don't have any negatives pop up to ruin the 100th edition after the fact. The ceremony was pretty cool, I'd have loved to have seen it in person. I always mourn the end of the Tour, now there's nothing to watch on t.v. to inspire me for a while
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

your text here
    quintana looked like paul simon.

still crazy, after all these years.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFTifoso View Post
    I too enjoyed watching him and was so happy for his wins. He seems like a little go-getter type of guy. I hope to see him wearing yellow in a future Tour.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sir duke View Post
    Geraint Evans, he rode through agony for his team with a fractured pelvis after his day one crash. Yep, 3000 kilometres with a broken bottom.
    And that is how I felt about Ryder, who was riding with a rib that was broken in the front where the breathing muscles are attached, which caused horrible pain with every breath from the 1st stage.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Not Banned
    So stoked that Quintana took 2 jerseys. When he retires from cycling he should go on the Poker tour.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

A wheelist
    Geraint Evans
    Who's he?
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

You Phillip mah census
    Quote Originally Posted by TirePopper View Post
    This morning I thought I would see what the chatter was, and of course, some fool has to bring his PC BS to a place where it is not needed. What does all this have to do with cycling ?
    This morning you thought..? I somehow doubt it.

You Phillip mah census
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Who's he?

Cadel's more talented little brother...

Daft Punk built my hotrod

Man of the tour? Well it's Froome's victory but my hat goes off to Geraint Evans, he rode through agony for his team with a fractured pelvis after his day one crash. Yep, 3000 kilometres with a broken bottom. Beat that, Jens.

Edit: (On reflection Jens beating Geraint Evan's bottom is probably something no-one needs to see)

Cheers!
    It's Geraint Thomas, and indeed he rode bravely in this Tour.

You Phillip mah census
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxRomana View Post
    It's Geraint Thomas, and indeed he rode bravely in this Tour.
    So it is. I called him Geraint Evans 2 years ago when I posted a photo of the Sky boys in Paris. I was born just across the Severn from Wales so I should really know better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast