RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Rainbow/National Champ Jersey

I've heard Boonen has a good chance of winning this year's World Championship which led to some discussion of what his jersey may look like next year (or for any national champ for that matter).

We couldn't recall recently where a world champ was also a national champ. Does anyone know if the respective country's color would be worked in to a rainbow jersey or if the rainbow jersey trumps all?

Just curious.

Mountain biker
    Oct 2007
    Sven Nys 2005? I think UCI World Cup Series Leader jersey gets priority, then WC, then national champ. No mixing/matching of the jerseys. Niels Albert jokingly said he was not planning on winning the WC after he won the Belgian National title because he wanted to wear the national champ kit the next season. Obviously talking cyclocross here, but I think the rules are same across the board.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Yeah, separate jersey's. See Thor Hushovd, Paolo Bettini, Johan Museeuw and one Lance Armstrong.

One interesting point is the championships only overlap for half a season, as most national championships are determined in June and the jersey is relinquished the following June unless defended.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    From the UCI rules:

Order of priority
    Without prejudice to relevant provisions but applicable for all the disciplines, should various provisions requiring the wearing of different jerseys apply to the same rider, the order of priority shall be as follows:
    1. the leader's jerseys of the stage race
    2. the leader's jersey of the cup, series or UCI classification
    3. the world champion's jersey
    4. the continental champion's jersey (not mandatory as per 1.3.070)
    5. the national champion's jersey
    6. the national jersey (in accordance with 1.3.059).
    If the leader of the UCI cyclo-cross world cup is also cyclo-cross world champion, he must wear the
    world championís jersey.

(text modified on 26.08.04; 1.01.05; 1.01.06, 1.02.07; 1.09.08; 1.01.09; 1.10.09; 1.10.10).

Mountain biker
    Oct 2007
    JSR, is that last sentence your comment or part of the rule? Because it contradicts 2 and 3 above it. It is also not how I've seen it in mountain biking. During the reign of Julien Absalon, he would wear the World Cup leader jersey instead of the rainbow jersey. I didn't follow cross when Sven was world champ.

EDIT: nevermind, I looked it up on my own. Interesting that CX gets called out specifically to change the priority of 2 and 3.
    Last edited by ewarnerusa; 09-20-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Looked things up on my own

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kbiker3111 View Post
    Yeah, separate jersey's. See Thor Hushovd, Paolo Bettini, Johan Museeuw and one Lance Armstrong.

One interesting point is the championships only overlap for half a season, as most national championships are determined in June and the jersey is relinquished the following June unless defended.
    Oh, totally forgot Hushovd... Didn't realize he was national champ a few years ago.

Thanks for the history lesson...