Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. The general view seems to be that Sky / Froome will win the appeal. As for the actual race, I just want to see some real racing even if it turns out to be the three Movistar team mates against each other and donít really care who wins - as long as it isnít Bardet

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Chris banned by ASO see if they can get it overturned. Bullshit. ASO concerned with their image and the TDF, are you kidding me. Does anybody think they did not know about Lance doping, money rolling in during that time due to the whole Lance story. They turned a blind eye. Look at Trek they were built on Lances name your telling me they didn't know what was going on but money rolling in. As soon as it came public they disassociated from him. I think trek should be banned from TDF for ever because they aided doping how's that sound. Froome has a medical condition cut the guy some slack. For an experiment we should do a pacibo and control group of riders one gets salbutmaul other group gets flavored air. Have them ride a big mountain then switch groups and see what there times look like. I truly believe this medication gives nobody an edge but allows then to breath like a person who is not effected by asthma.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Well, I was so wrong about the Froome getting banned thing....

With that being said, he has to be the favorite (as painful as that is to say). No team in the World Tour has the kind of depth they do (and the expertise at using it well). Thomas, Kwiatkowski, and Bernal could all be protected GC riders on other teams. He could easily win again, which is tragic on some levels.

Movistar has good depth as well, but it seems to be more of a source of conflict than it is a strength for them at the moment. If they can get on the same page, and support one guy 100%, they could be dangerous as well.

I still think a couple of these experienced GC guys that have had prior grand tour success will give Sky a run for their money. I think Dumoulin, Nibali, Uran, and Quintana are the strongest contenders here IMO.

As for younguns and less provens, I like Bardet, Alaphillipe, Roglic, Jungles, Yates, Dan Martin, and Zakarin.

When it comes to sprinters, I am all in on Sagan and Gaviria, but I like Colbrelli, Mathews, Groenwegen, Demare, as well for this course.

My dark horse surprise pic is Martinez for EF Drapac. I think he is on the verge of a breakout this year or next.

Guys likely to disappoint are Mollema, Cavendish, Greipel, Kittel, TVG, GVA, and Porte. I could be wrong and for some of them, I hope I am, but it's not looking good as of right now.
    The last couple of years I really haven't had anyone to root for. But if Froome is allowed to ride, I will root against him. If there is such a thing as Karma, maybe he'll have a bad day. Unfortunately I think both the Giro and Tour will have asterisks next to the winners name

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gofast2wheeler View Post
    Chris banned by ASO see if they can get it overturned. Bullshit. ASO concerned with their image and the TDF, are you kidding me. Does anybody think they did not know about Lance doping, money rolling in during that time due to the whole Lance story. They turned a blind eye. Look at Trek they were built on Lances name your telling me they didn't know what was going on but money rolling in. As soon as it came public they disassociated from him. I think trek should be banned from TDF for ever because they aided doping how's that sound. Froome has a medical condition cut the guy some slack. For an experiment we should do a pacibo and control group of riders one gets salbutmaul other group gets flavored air. Have them ride a big mountain then switch groups and see what there times look like. I truly believe this medication gives nobody an edge but allows then to breath like a person who is not effected by asthma.
    It always amazes me how many Pro Cyclists have asthma Ö you would think for world class athletes, they would have well functioning bodies. However, it seems the % is off the charts when compared to the general population Ö kind of interesting.

I see similar results at local events Ö always surprises me when I show up to a local race and see all the inhalers being used before the race starts.

Who knew asthmatics were drawn to cycling?
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    It always amazes me how many Pro Cyclists have asthma Ö you would think for world class athletes, they would have well functioning bodies. However, it seems the % is off the charts when compared to the general population Ö kind of interesting.

I see similar results at local events Ö always surprises me when I show up to a local race and see all the inhalers being used before the race starts.

Who knew asthmatics were drawn to cycling?
    Actually, given the extreme nature of the endurance aspect of cycling and other like sports, it doesnít surprise me all that much especially given that these guys get repeated medical examination that will pick up this and other things at an early stage.

In general medicine / health matters the number of people with some conditions e.g. bicuspid aortic valve, CLL etc is increasing year on year simply because they are being picked up thru routine medicals before they become symptomatic. These conditions are much more prevalent in the general population than previously thought. The more medical examinations that are done, the more we find out. It also explains why some chronic cancer survival rates are improving. The people concerned arenít actually living longer but their condition is being picked up at an earlier age and they are aware of the condition for a greater number of years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldash View Post
    Actually, given the extreme nature of the endurance aspect of cycling and other like sports, it doesnít surprise me all that much especially given that these guys get repeated medical examination that will pick up this and other things at an early stage.

In general medicine / health matters the number of people with some conditions e.g. bicuspid aortic valve, CLL etc is increasing year on year simply because they are being picked up thru routine medicals before they become symptomatic. These conditions are much more prevalent in the general population than previously thought. The more medical examinations that are done, the more we find out. It also explains why some chronic cancer survival rates are improving. The people concerned arenít actually living longer but their condition is being picked up at an earlier age and they are aware of the condition for a greater number of years.

You make some excellent points and they are well founded. Endurance athletes are at some level of greater risk for developing asthma. But the numbers are staggering. 40% of pro cyclists vs 8% of general population. This is just a news article but it is a helpful overview of the topic, I think.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/la...-asthma-317941

That said, there is good research supporting the PED effect in non-asthmatic athletes. I wouldnít make accusations of outright malpractice by sports docs. But THERE IS a PED effect and therefore it would be an advantage to being diagnosed. I am not certain of the amount of wiggle room in making a diagnosis. Iíll look into it and my docs at work. It requires a TUE because it is a PED. It is a banned substance for a reason. Finding a way to employ its advantages would be in a riders interest.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10912897
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    ASO might be actually playing for a stalemate until the TdF starts and then it will be too late. Froome can appeal away, but the Tour will have started.

Tour de France organiser to block Chris Froome from racing - Cycling Weekly
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    ASO might be actually playing for a stalemate until the TdF starts and then it will be too late. Froome can appeal away, but the Tour will have started.

Tour de France organiser to block Chris Froome from racing - Cycling Weekly
    I am truly ambivalent about this... From a race perspective I would love to watch a tour without him in it. From a cycling perspective, you want to see dopers caught and dealt with. But from a rational perspective, I think that it is inconceivable that he not be able to race. All we know is leaked information. Everyone deserves the protection of a fair process. If he is banned then he is cheated of one of the most basic protections offered anywhere governed by the rule of law. But Iíd love to see it...
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    I am truly ambivalent about this... From a race perspective I would love to watch a tour without him in it. From a cycling perspective, you want to see dopers caught and dealt with. But from a rational perspective, I think that it is inconceivable that he not be able to race. All we know is leaked information. Everyone deserves the protection of a fair process. If he is banned then he is cheated of one of the most basic protections offered anywhere governed by the rule of law. But Iíd love to see it...
    Itís a nice sentiment and I get what you are saying, but his rights have to balanced against ASOís and I am confident they will mount a fairly strong argument that their product could be irreparably harmed by allowing him to proceed with the issue unresolved. The real culprit is the UCI. They have to get better at resolving these things consistently and in a timely manner. Especially given that other riders have recently been suspended for excess amounts of the same drug.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just set up a Froome TdF 2018 doping discussion thread in the Doping Forum.
    Enjoy!

Now, back to Predictions talk.

(Attempts to change topic...) How has Valverde physical recovery gone?

RoadBikeReview Member
    there's only one person qualified to answer the Valverde question.... that one user who stalks him level 11. We await.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PJay View Post
    Enjoy!

Here you go:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...rs-race-384494

But you want us to make predictions about the race without discussing the fact that the 4X winner and defending champion might be banned from competing????

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here you go:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...rs-race-384494

But you want us to make predictions about the race without discussing the fact that the 4X winner and defending champion might be banned from competing????
    He will be there... I certainly understand the position of the organizers, but what we know is only leaks and that I see all... Iíll be happy to eat my words. My question is, the three headed hydra? How does Movistar Work this?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    He will be there... I certainly understand the position of the organizers, but what we know is only leaks and that I see all... Iíll be happy to eat my words. My question is, the three headed hydra? How does Movistar Work this?

We'll see. I don't really see what grounds Sky has to appeal it....Heck I don't understand why Sky are appealing to the French Olympic Committee and not civil courts. The ASO's rule cited for justification is much more of a "standards/moral" clause than a sporting matter. On this side of the pond, ASO's case would fairly well be a slam dunk.

What would be funny (and great)...is if Sky played hardball, and ASO retaliated by kicking all of Sky out, and re-invited Team Aqua Blue Sport back in their place.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJay View Post
    Enjoy!

He's recovered fine. However, he's not going into the Tour at or near peak and has no intention on being near peak during the Tour. The National Championships you could see that. His TT was a bit off, and a closer to inform Valverde should have been able to go with Gorka when he attacked. The Tour isn't one of his goals, however that doesn't mean he won't end up with a top 10 GC out of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Better add Froome back into your possible winners list

UCI statement on anti-doping proceedings involving Mr Christopher Froome

The UCI has considered all the relevant evidence in detail (in consultation with its own experts and experts from WADA). On 28 June 2018, WADA informed the UCI that it would accept, based on the specific facts of the case, that Mr Froomeís sample results do not constitute an AAF. In light of WADAís unparalleled access to information and authorship of the salbutamol regime, the UCI has decided, based on WADAís position, to close the proceedings against Mr Froome.
    Last edited by coldash; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:08 AM.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by coldash View Post
    Better add Froome back into your possible winners list

UCI statement on anti-doping proceedings involving Mr Christopher Froome

Back on schedule to be yet another boring GC non-contest. Oh well.

Only thing worse is having to listen to English language commentators want to verbally-grope Froome.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    PSA FWIW just read W. Keldeman is out of TdF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Back on schedule to be yet another boring GC non-contest. Oh well.

Only thing worse is having to listen to English language commentators want to verbally-grope Froome.
    Actually a reason to not bother watching this year's Tour.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    With the new Cannondale SS isn't Riggo the clear favorite? Maybe? Prob not??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhSnap View Post
    With the new Cannondale SS isn't Riggo the clear favorite? Maybe? Prob not??
    Only if fixed gear.

I actually thought long and hard about putting him on the inhalers!, ultimately I decided against it.
    Last edited by 9W9W; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:54 PM.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I've been predicting Julian Alephelippe to win a grand tour at some point in his career, so he's my pick until he does.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    1. Bardet
    2. Landa
    3. Froome

Green/points: Sagan

Polka-Dot/climber: Quintana
    Ballan, we have a problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    1. Rigo
    2. Landa
    3. Porte

Green...Peter
    Polka....Barguil

RoadBikeReview Member
    TdF '18 has begun! Predictions closed! After the penultimate stage, I will review our predictions, and see how smart we really are about pro cycling.

Bon chance! Allors!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12