RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Spanish team challenges Levi's bronze

As reported by CN:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...g08/aug15news2

This appears to be an unwinnable and pointless challenge. Wonder if Contador had any involvement in raising this.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by harlond
    As reported by CN:

This appears to be an unwinnable and pointless challenge. Wonder if Contador had any involvement in raising this.
    Contador was too busy drafting to notice anything.

I say throw both of them out and give Evans the bronze.

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by harlond
    As reported by CN:

Often, these challenges are done by the teams, and the athletes have nothing to do with it. The best example I can think of is in 2004, when second place finisher Marcus Rogan actually opposed his own federation challenging Aaron Peirsol's gold medal and insisted they withdraw the challenge.

"It's a bad decision," Rogan insisted. "Not fair. He beat me by seconds. He ran away with the race. An infraction like this is so subjective and so small. What does it gain? I felt really good about the silver medal, because it was a strong swim. I don't if I want to get a gold medal like this. It's not sporting."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Levi riding a kids bike must cut down on some drag. I noticed alot of "contador drafting" comments, don't you have to be closer than 20 feet to draft someone? If not, then we all take way to big a risk riding 8inches from each others wheel. By the rules (20 meters) he probably was guilty, but how is being 10 meters behind someone drafting? Im no world class TT'er but at those speeds, it seems once you get to within 20 meters, its darn hard to just zip past a guy like he is standing still. The drafting rules seem a little harsh.

TPS reports by 5, people.
    It's pretty ballsy of the Spanish Federation to raise this kind of a protest, when they basically gave all the big names a get out of jail free card for Puerto.

Time to put on your big boy pants and stop griping, Spain...seriously.
    Look 595 Ultra Red
    Colnago C40 Chorus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    good point, Lumbergh

AJL
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbergh
    It's pretty ballsy of the Spanish Federation to raise this kind of a protest, when they basically gave all the big names a get out of jail free card for Puerto.

Excellent point Lumbergh. We are all hypocritical at times, but Spain's self contradictory hypocrisy is really going the extra mile - to no where

banned
    Spain complaining about cheating is like North Korea complaining about lack of democracy in China. Seriously, Spain, STFU. If Puerto were opened up, all these douches would be banned anyway.

Mühehersteller
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbergh

spain sucks, even as much as the frenchies!

Uhhhhh, yea, if you could just forget about our own spanish athletes named in OP
    that would be g r e a t....Mmmmkay?

Love that Avatar dude!
    Passion. Ferocity. Realization.

For all the complaining, "I know more than you" voices about descending- <i>fast</i>; You would have never made it in motorcycle roadracing. In my 8 seasons on the track, I never heard the constant outcry from riders- it was too fast...or too dangerous. It is what it is, and a <i>choice</i> to do so.

To see 'real' racers in action-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zjv0ZHvFIQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNxJrB_8gHk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    I still cannot understand why Contador wasn't assessed penalty time for his extensive drafting caught right on video. This would never have been tolerated at the TDF.

AJL
    Quote Originally Posted by FondriestFan
    Spain complaining about cheating is like North Korea complaining about lack of democracy in China. Seriously, Spain, STFU. If Puerto were opened up, all these douches would be banned anyway.
    Great analogy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Funny, I'm reading this thread while watching USA Basketball spank Spain.

Dopers ruin sport
    Spain needs to shut up. The way they are complaining they act like they came out of the the olympics with nothing. They won the road race so Spain STFU and leave it be!!!!!