ultralord

Stage 7 - Saturday, July 8: Saint-Grégoire - Rennes ITT, 52 km

Results

Provisional
    1 Serguei Gonchar (Ukr) T-Mobile 1.01.43.60 (50.54 km/h)
    2 Floyd Landis (USA) Phonak 1.00.62
    3 Sebastian Lang (Ger) Gerolsteiner 1.04.27
    4 Michael Rogers (Aus) T-Mobile 1.23.87
    5 Gustav Larsson (Swe) Francaise Des Jeux 1.33.48
    6 Patrik Sinkewitz (Ger) T-Mobile 1.38.65
    7 Marcus Fothen (Ger) Gerolsteiner 1.41.77
    8 Andreas Klöden (Ger) T-Mobile 1.43.26
    9 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 1.43.90
    10 Joost Posthuma (Ned) Rabobank 1.44.41
    11 Cadel Evans (Aus) Davitamon-Lotto 1.49.39
    12 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears 1.51.68
    13 David Zabriskie (USA) Team CSC 1.56.59
    14 Matthias Kessler (Ger) T-Mobile 2.02.77
    15 Christophe Moreau (Fra) AG2R-Prevoyance 2.03.46
    16 Eddy Mazzoleni (Ita) T-Mobile 2.04.61
    17 Victor Hugo Pena (Col) Phonak 2.08.98
    18 Carlos Sastre (Spa) Team CSC 2.10.59
    19 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel 2.12.20
    20 Thomas Lövkvist (Swe) Francaise Des Jeux 2.35.79
    21 Bert Grabsch (Ger) Phonak 2.38.16
    22 Viatscheslav Ekimov (Rus) Discovery Channel 2.40.23
    23 Oscar Pereiro (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears 2.40.92
    24 George Hincapie (USA) Discovery Channel 2.42.07
    25 Didier Rous (Fra) Bouygues Telecom 2.50.59
    26 José Luis Rubiera (Spa) Discovery Channel 3.05.60
    27 Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Cofidis 3.05.95
    28 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Cofidis 3.09.77
    29 Egoi Martinez (Spa) Discovery Channel 3.13.07
    30 Christian Vandevelde (USA) Team CSC 3.13.87

General classification after stage 7

1 Serguei Gonchar (Ukr) T-Mobile 30.23.20
    2 Floyd Landis (USA) Phonak 1.00
    3 Michael Rogers (Aus) T-Mobile 1.08
    4 Patrik Sinkewitz (Ger) T-Mobile 1.45
    5 Marcus Fothen (Ger) Gerolsteiner 1.50
    6 Andreas Klöden (Ger) T-Mobile
    7 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears 1.52
    8 Cadel Evans (Aus) Davitamon-Lotto
    9 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 2.00
    10 David Zabriskie (USA) Team CSC 2.03
    11 Matthias Kessler (Ger) T-Mobile
    12 Christophe Moreau (Fra) AG2R-Prevoyance 2.07
    13 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel 2.10
    14 Eddy Mazzoleni (Ita) T-Mobile 2.14
    15 Sebastian Lang (Ger) Gerolsteiner 2.22
    16 Carlos Sastre (Spa) Team CSC 2.27
    17 George Hincapie (USA) Discovery Channel 2.30
    18 Oscar Pereiro (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears 2.57
    19 Thomas Lövkvist (Swe) Francaise Des Jeux 3.01
    20 Didier Rous (Fra) Bouygues Telecom 3.15
    21 Tom Boonen (Bel) Quick-Step-Innergetic
    22 Christian Vandevelde (USA) Team CSC 3.25
    23 Yaroslav Popovyvch (Ukr) Discovery Channel 3.27
    24 José Luis Rubiera (Spa) Discovery Channel 3.34
    25 David Millar (GBr) Saunier Duval 3.38
    Last edited by francois; 07-08-2006 at 09:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    good day for Landis, considering the overall "meltdown".
    But it would take more effort than some (like Al Trautwig) think to get jersey back from Honchar - the man finished 2nd in Giro and can hang on during climbs. And there's always a threat that he might claw his way back on the final time trial, if he doesn't lose too much time.

Landis is now a clear favorite though.Can Rogers climb? He did Ok on some climbs a while back... Kloden, Karpets, Evans and Menchov are clearly among key threats - in addition to Honchar and Landis...

I think it's over for Leipheimer. Discovery chances don't look so great either.

Weird, weird stage... Weird tour...

AJL
    Yeah, sounds about right 55x11. Landis is the only American that showed some top shelf TTing ability - and he even had a bike change during the race!

What's up with the rest - I just don't know - maybe they can't handle the pressure??? Definitely a weird stage and tour.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Did Landis have a bike change or a wheel change or both? If it's both, then you really have to give him props for that result.

Moderatus Puisne
    He definitely had a bike change. dunno bout the wheel.

Bickety bam!
    Jun 2004

Bravo Gonchar!!!

I think there was someone on here earlier this week that called Gonchar for the win possibly. Whoever that was, good call on him. I myself figured that the American dominance in time trials would continue, but as we see, only Landis could handle it, and roll in near the top of the leader board, and make the podium for the day. Gonchar does have some climbing ability. He can ride in the hills, has proved it in the past, and I look forward to seeing what T-Mobile does to protect him in the upcoming stages and in the mountains. They have a strong team that they built around Jan for this race, so the structure, and the strengths are still there. They can work if for Gonchar now, which could make things interesting.

Hincapie is now out of it. He's not going to make that time up in the mountains, and he's not going to make time like that up in the 2nd time trial, which means, that he'll be working for Paolo Savoldelli (SP? I never know how to spell that guy's name, we'll just us PS), being that he is best placed Disco rider right now, and we know he can win grand tours, he's got a couple under his belt right now already, so we'll see.

Levi, this leaves him with a wild card idea of attacking until his eyes pop out and try to make something happen in the mountains. He definitely has nothing to lose now, so won't have to play it safe at all, or for the rest of the race. Maybe if he feels OK, and feels strong, he can attack, attack again, and try to get people to pop. Although, seeing his performance today, don't know if he can do that or not.

Zabriskie is now CSCs top rider, after Bobby "I Crash in Time Trials" Julich took a bad tumble today and was hauled away in the ambulance, leaving CSC without a real overall contender for the race.

Landis is in a good spot. Sitting 1 minute down, and arguably, he's a better climber than Gonchar, although I haven't seen them go head to head that I remember, and the yellow jersey always seem to inspire the wearer, so, again, anything could happen. And I think T-Mobile is a stronger team than Phonak right now.

It's possible that just about anyone in the top 5-10 guys right now could end up winning. Rogers, Menchov, Kloden, Karpets, there are some names out there that could win up winning.

One thing for sure, it's still a pretty wide open race, and could get interesting, very interesting for certain. Looking forward to the rest of it now.

ultralord
    Interesting to note that there is another time trial coming up later that is virtually identical to this one. Thus, a good baseline prediction is the leaders will put the same time gaps on their rivals.

Gonchar will put another minute on Landis. Landis will put another minute on Cadel, two on Hincapie and so on.

This looks like a two horse race now between Landis and Gonchar.

fc

Call me a Fred
    Without the mechanical problem that Landis had, Gonchar's gap would have been much smaller.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Gonchar will put another minute on Landis. Landis will put another minute on Cadel, two on Hincapie and so on.
    I'm picking Landis to win the 2nd ITT -- or at least put time into Gonchar if someone else manages to step up (Zabriskie finds his TT form?) Landis finishes a minute back after having to change his postition last second AND doing a bike change. With the race on the line (given he can stay in contention in the mountains), I like his chances.

I know 53x11 is singing all about Gonchar's result in the Giro a couple years back. But what's he done lately? I really don't know. Can he take the lead role and hold on to yellow in the mountians? T-Mob has a great team to support a single GC rider but is Gonchar that rider? Will they hedge their bets with Kloden? If they split, Gonchar's chances start looking more iffy.

The number of teams set up to propel a rider to the GC is limited. I think Karpets could be a GC guy but can his team do it for him? I dunno. Also look at the ITT results -- 6 T-Mob riders in the top 14. They're stacked. Gonchar doesn't have to be their guy. Perhaps a team that stacked can deliver Kloden to the top spot in Paris.

Right now it looks like a slugfest between Landis and whoever T-Mob decides to get behind.
    Pro rep, yo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love what Sergei did today, but 5-10 GC riders will place ahead of him in Paris. He will lose too much time in the mountains.

Landis looks really good for the overall.

Des