08 Madone 5.2 Rider

Super Domestique Armstrong

What a disappointment. A true legendary hero gives up and now the TdF is even MORE boring. Sad that Armstrong never explained the situation to his fans on Twitter, but even more sad that he never wemt man to man as was highly hyped.

After years of following the TdF, I have now given up on this sport. The Nevada City race a couple of months ago was much more exciting. At least now I can spend more time riding install of watching a soap opera.
    Just ride it!

dave.gt
    2008 Madone 5.2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    More like "Aging Drama Queen Barely Adequate Domestique".

The only reason anybody's been talking about him the past week is because he happened to make the split in stage 3. Other than that, he's done nothing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    what makes u think he will ride for contador... more like he will still ride for himself trying to limit loss and get on podium...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by j3fri
    what makes u think he will ride for contador... more like he will still ride for himself trying to limit loss and get on podium...
    Because that's the spin Phil and Paul are putting on it already today. He's not done anything yet to indicate he's going to be a domestique for Contador. He might but there's nothing to indicate that yet.

jd3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, he's sitting just in front of Conti at the moment. Though the day's far from over.
    “You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.” – Albert Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member

Dude!?

Quote Originally Posted by dave_gt
    What a disappointment. A true legendary hero gives up and now the TdF is even MORE boring. Sad that Armstrong never explained the situation to his fans on Twitter, but even more sad that he never wemt man to man as was highly hyped.

After years of following the TdF, I have now given up on this sport. The Nevada City race a couple of months ago was much more exciting. At least now I can spend more time riding install of watching a soap opera.
    If you believe what you just wrote, how little you really know! "IF" Armstrong has the opportunity, you bet he's going to take it. But for now he need to play the roll as it is......I'd be very suprised if Armstron became Conti's "actual" domestique and all of Astana dropped off the peloton and it was only Armstrong left to set the pace for Conti.

....as far as Armstrong setting the pace in front of Conto - nothing new there since Conti's been sucking Armstrongs wheel ever since he was caught out on that split Columbia caused due to the cross winds. Conti doesn't have the race smarts so he need to stick with someone that does.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Given up?

I hardly think so. The guy doesn't give up. Giving up would have been to have a pamper tantrum after Sunday's stage, make all sorts of excuses about this and that, and drop out of the Tour.

He's being realistic about his fitness level after that test. Now he's keeping his word and riding for the team and the strongest rider, which is not him.

Lemur-ing
    Erm.... Disappointing? Yes, he is disappointed himself. But given up? No. He wants to podium for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uzziefly
    Erm.... Disappointing? Yes, he is disappointed himself. But given up? No. He wants to podium for sure.
    Of course he does, that's when you get to kiss the gurls.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Armstrong, Kloden and bruyneel will do whatever they can to load the podium in paris. I actually think Kloden looks better than Lance on the climbs.
    But schlecks, cadel and Sastre will probably be the ones to somehow fill the podium.
    Even though its not as exciting as past tours, its still the tour, and I'm totally glued to it and watch it closely.
    The beauty of the landscape is stunning. Especially the mountains.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    What's dissappointing? I'm no LA fan but he is doing very well for someone who is 37 and retired for 3 years.

What did everyone expect? He's not superhuman and I guess he ages after all, just like the rest of us.

I'd say that so far he's having a great race and will do damn well considering his age. There are a lot of riders in this years tour that would give their left nut to be in his place!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_gt

I'm not quite sure how you find 2 riders on the same team totally dominating a crit and essentially taking the entire peleton out of contention within a few laps interesting. That was no competition. Admit it, you just like watching lancefests.
    He has a good time in the legs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    the only concrete statements being made about LA's role are those being made by AC. everyone is being very cagey about how they say things. AC is being very blunt in an effort to cement common perception about LA's role. that way if AC has a slip-up bad day, he can then blame LA for not fulfilling the "promised" role. taken at face value, AC's comments are either tremendously naive or explicitly crafted to promote his own agenda. has JB stepped up and publicaly stated that LA is now AC's water-bottle toting lackey? I admit I have not read everything so I may have missed it if he did.

RoadBikeReview Member
    how exactly has he given up? he came to win but when it was obvious he wasnt at the same level as AC he agreed to work for the team. Im sure he hates it but what good would it do to attack a teamate or keep fighting for something you obviously dont have the legs for. If he had been able to follow the other accelerations on Verbier and follow Schleck or Wiggins then I would say that it would still be open. He couldnt and so he should work for the stronger man. Same thing CVV id doing. Its hardly giving up though

the fist
    oh nooo, the tour is nothing without lancey wancey. somebody hold me.
    FlexiSexual

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moonstation2000
    What's dissappointing? I'm no LA fan but he is doing very well for someone who is 37 and retired for 3 years.

What did everyone expect? He's not superhuman and I guess he ages after all, just like the rest of us.

I'd say that so far he's having a great race and will do damn well considering his age. There are a lot of riders in this years tour that would give their left nut to be in his place!
    Isn't that how he got there?

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pretender
    More like "Aging Drama Queen Barely Adequate Domestique".

The only reason anybody's been talking about him the past week is because he happened to make the split in stage 3. Other than that, he's done nothing.
    The more you deny your love the stronger it grows. Admit to those Lance posters, you will feel better.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds to me more like you gave up on Lance than the sport? So because Lance is not winning overall you don't enjoy the sport or the Tour? I find that strange.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by function
    I'm not quite sure how you find 2 riders on the same team totally dominating a crit and essentially taking the entire peleton out of contention within a few laps interesting. That was no competition. Admit it, you just like watching lancefests.
    Remember, we're in the land of sports dynasties and blowouts, not weeklong cricket matches. We do Shock and Awe (harumph), not the 100 Years War. Zero attention span, zero appreciation for nuance.

If it ain't mo' bigga', it just isn't on teh merican radar.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..