Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

TdF '13 Stage 9 Predict/Discuss *spoilers* Jul 7

A hundred miles, five mountains, then a rest day.
    Froome/Sky marked with a relatively slender lead.
    A handful of challengers in striking position.
    Contador: stalking, or cooked?

RoadBikeReview Member
    A lot of energy expended by the top 2. I was amazed that they decided to go all out with such a hard stage 9. Those that decided not to record to the top will have an advantage tomorrow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I predict Contador. He has something to prove (that he can ride while not on the dope), he may be looking around and deciding the crowd is different from 3 years ago, he is now down a bit, and there are two strong teams to worry abt in the Alps - Sky and BMC.

If he makes a mark now, he would carry the impression of being a GC contender even if he does not podium this yr. If he doesn't even win a stage, he will fall into the Schleck zone of influence.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005

Re: TdF '13 Stage 9 Predict/Discuss *spoilers* Jul 7

I may be the last person to resort to innuendo, but that ride today made me feel dirty. I saw the world's greatest climbers with their tongues wiping the pavement and two guys from Sky who didn't even appear to be breathing hard? I hate to feel this way, but come on...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tomorrow will be BOOM. That is all.

We have met the enemy...
    Extraordinary ride by Quintana--even though it would have taken a miracle, I was hoping he would stay away on the second climb...

It's tempting to say Froome and Porte could attack to easily because they had not been working up to that point, but just to be there in that group meant you were in the red zone---
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

RoadBikeReview Member

My prediction, the Tour is over after today. Froome in yellow and will ride to Paris in yellow. Only a bad crash or getting caught should prevent a victory.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

gazing from the shadows
    I say every single team with someone inside of 3 minutes should attack. One after another. Keep doing it until Sky can't cover. Don't let the Sky train control the tempo with a steady ride, make them yo-yo.

Will they do that? I can only hope, that would make for a great day of racing.

Froome looked pretty strong, and I don't see any one person able to match him. If he doesn't have a weak day tomorrow, I see a lot of team directors starting to worry podium, not win.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelena69 View Post
    I may be the last person to resort to innuendo, but that ride today made me feel dirty. I saw the world's greatest climbers with their tongues wiping the pavement and two guys from Sky who didn't even appear to be breathing hard? I hate to feel this way, but come on...
    It works out... Froome wins this year, not to be heard from again, next year Porte wins, and the following, whoever pulls him around to his win. You don't get caught if you only do it 1x... it's the 7x that get u busted

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I doubt anyone will get away from Froome on stage 9. He looked really strong and his team or he will just chase down anyone who attacks.

Get me to In&Out
    Contador figure out how to beat Froome in the Vuelta. I think he will manage to do it again. Rodriguez has a few cards to play still too.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think Contador still needs to recover and he won't do anything. I think he will do better in the 3rd week (he'll peak then, and do some damage!!!). I foresee a break of non-GC threats getting away with someone winning from that. I also predict some awesome scenery!

Where's that GPS?
    The other GC teams must attack Sky and wear them down. IMHO If they allow Sky to set the terms for the next few stages - it will work psychologically on the peloton and they will begin to accept "the inevitable" and Froome and Porte will get a free ride into Paris.

Last year in Spain, Conti, J-Rod and Valverde proved Sky could be beaten - but you must attack constantly to break Sky's grip. Sit up now and you might as well climb off the bike as the race will be over.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    I predict the sprinters will protest the stage.

Get me to In&Out
    Quote Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
    The other GC teams must attack Sky and wear them down. IMHO If they allow Sky to set the terms for the next few stages - it will work psychologically on the peloton and they will begin to accept "the inevitable" and Froome and Porte will get a free ride into Paris.

Last year in Spain, Conti, J-Rod and Valverde proved Sky could be beaten - but you must attack constantly to break Sky's grip. Sit up now and you might as well climb off the bike as the race will be over.
    I agree. Also, if Porte and Froome are recovered tomorrow and ride like that again, they need to be expelled on suspicion of being non-human. No way can they recover from todays effort.

B05
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    I agree. Also, if Porte and Froome are recovered tomorrow and ride like that again, they need to be expelled on suspicion of being non-human. No way can they recover from todays effort.
    I think Brailsford tells them to hold back tomorrow but I don't think they'll be giving more than 20 secs. It's already set some red flags and everyone's suspicious.

Get me to In&Out
    Agree. Even people who don't follow cycling that close are speaking up. The pro's and managers even through obscure statements question marks out on Twitter.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by LostViking View Post

Ding ding ding...

Froome looks like he might have the legs still...but Team Sky as a whole looks like they're cooked.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Froome is isolated and surrounded by Spaniards.
    A bunch of Movistar riders plus Contador, with Contador coaching Team Spain LOL. Looks like he just told Valverde to have a go.
    Sky may have burned themselves out yesterday. Froome is calling for help on his radio but none is coming. There's a lot of hills yet to go, so all this may change by the end of the day, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else takes over yellow.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    Froome is isolated and surrounded by Spaniards.
    A bunch of Movistar riders plus Contador, with Contador coaching Team Spain LOL. Looks like he just told Valverde to have a go.
    Sky may have burned themselves out yesterday. Froome is calling for help on his radio but none is coming. There's a lot of hills yet to go, so all this may change by the end of the day, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else takes over yellow.
    Unless he gets reinforcements magically, all these attacks with 3 hours of racing left will just burn him out. For all the excitement and surety yesterday about Froome in and keeping yellow....well... Hehehee.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by BummBull View Post
    I doubt anyone will get away from Froome on stage 9. He looked really strong and his team or he will just chase down anyone who attacks.
    Getting away would be great, but even if they don't they need to hurt the guy and his team. If they are going for the GC.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I count six Movistar and four Saxo in Froome's group. No Sky.

Porte is at the BACK of the chasing group 1:20 down. Sky is chasing, but they'll be burnt soon.

The other big issue today is the possible elimination of a lot of riders way back. Apparently ASO is annoyed at some of the riders lack of aggression the other day when Cannondale was allowed to ride away.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    I count six Movistar and four Saxo in Froome's group. No Sky.

Porte is at the BACK of the chasing group 1:20 down. Sky is chasing, but they'll be burnt soon.

The other big issue today is the possible elimination of a lot of riders way back. Apparently ASO is annoyed at some of the riders lack of aggression the other day when Cannondale was allowed to ride away.
    As they go up this mountain that gap is getting bigger.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good stage today. Looks like the GC will be shaken up again! I'm pleasantly surprised that Porte is hurting today. As much speculation is being thrown at Team Sky, it's good to see that they are indeed not cyborgs.

P.S. What's up with Hesjedal's glasses? Damn those are ugly.
    Last edited by burgrat; 07-07-2013 at 04:04 AM.

Where's that GPS?
    De Gendt takes KOM points after looking like a dead fish! Rolland must be hurling some choice words at him!
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast