RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003

TDG Riders used a 28 gear at Brasstown

I live in N. GA. and have ridden most of the mountains in the TDG. According to VeloNews most of the guys were using a 28 in the rear....I don't feel so bad now.

http://www.velonews.com/article/7538...or---georgia-s

Back from the dead
    Yeah, but "most of the guys" had no chance to win the stage. They just wanted to get to the end. What did the guys use who actually contested the climb?

waterproof*
    It's not like they were doin a recovery ride though... there's still a time cut and on a climb that steep, big gaps open quickly.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    When I went a couple years back, I saw (and photographed - just can't find it right now) some riders using a Dura-ace triple on Brasstown. It is STEEP!!

haole from the mainland
    How fast do you really think they're going when the road kicks up to 22%. Horner ain't no slouch in the mountains and used a 28. Danielson and Zabriskie used 38T chainrings.

A 140# rider pushing a massive 400 watts is going to be going less than 8mph on a 15% slope. Kick the road up to 22% and the hypothetical rider is going a bit more than 5mph. A 38/28 combo at 80rpms gives one 8.5mph. Pretty easy to see why anyone would want an extra tooth or two.

Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    Yeah, but "most of the guys" had no chance to win the stage. They just wanted to get to the end. What did the guys use who actually contested the climb?

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgy
    How fast do you really think they're going when the road kicks up to 22%. Horner ain't no slouch in the mountains and used a 28. Danielson and Zabriskie used 38T chainrings.

A 140# rider pushing a massive 400 watts is going to be going less than 8mph on a 15% slope. Kick the road up to 22% and the hypothetical rider is going a bit more than 5mph. A 38/28 combo at 80rpms gives one 8.5mph. Pretty easy to see why anyone would want an extra tooth or two.
    What did the top three guys use? What the pack fodder used isn't as interesting to me.

What offseason?
    What did the top three guys use? What the pack fodder used isn't as interesting to me.
    Danielson's gearing is relevant to your question given that he has won on the mountain twice...

Horner's quotes in this article seem to indicate that the whole Astana team was using 28s... that would cover Leipheimer.
    http://www.velonews.com/article/75386

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TACSTS
    When I went a couple years back, I saw (and photographed - just can't find it right now) some riders using a Dura-ace triple on Brasstown. It is STEEP!!
    I'd say that would be a picture worth posting.

Dopers ruin sport
    Shoot, I would probably need a motor to get up brasstown.

Cat 6 rider
    Straight up! If we don't know what the best of the best use how can we be as fast as they are
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I rode up last year with a triple, 30t front ring. I swapped my RD for a MTB one and put a 13-34 cogset on. It was smooth cruising all the way except for the wall, where I would have liked even lower gears.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Some top riders use triples on the mountain stages of the major European tours. So big deal - they do what is needed to get up the hill as fast as possible.