Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    677

    TDG Riders used a 28 gear at Brasstown

    I live in N. GA. and have ridden most of the mountains in the TDG. According to VeloNews most of the guys were using a 28 in the rear....I don't feel so bad now.

    http://www.velonews.com/article/7538...or---georgia-s

  2. #2
    Back from the dead
    Reputation: mohair_chair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    20,906
    Yeah, but "most of the guys" had no chance to win the stage. They just wanted to get to the end. What did the guys use who actually contested the climb?

  3. #3
    waterproof*
    Reputation: Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41,164
    It's not like they were doin a recovery ride though... there's still a time cut and on a climb that steep, big gaps open quickly.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    778
    When I went a couple years back, I saw (and photographed - just can't find it right now) some riders using a Dura-ace triple on Brasstown. It is STEEP!!

  5. #5
    haole from the mainland
    Reputation: jorgy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,966
    How fast do you really think they're going when the road kicks up to 22%. Horner ain't no slouch in the mountains and used a 28. Danielson and Zabriskie used 38T chainrings.

    A 140# rider pushing a massive 400 watts is going to be going less than 8mph on a 15% slope. Kick the road up to 22% and the hypothetical rider is going a bit more than 5mph. A 38/28 combo at 80rpms gives one 8.5mph. Pretty easy to see why anyone would want an extra tooth or two.

    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    Yeah, but "most of the guys" had no chance to win the stage. They just wanted to get to the end. What did the guys use who actually contested the climb?

  6. #6
    Back from the dead
    Reputation: mohair_chair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    20,906
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgy
    How fast do you really think they're going when the road kicks up to 22%. Horner ain't no slouch in the mountains and used a 28. Danielson and Zabriskie used 38T chainrings.

    A 140# rider pushing a massive 400 watts is going to be going less than 8mph on a 15% slope. Kick the road up to 22% and the hypothetical rider is going a bit more than 5mph. A 38/28 combo at 80rpms gives one 8.5mph. Pretty easy to see why anyone would want an extra tooth or two.
    What did the top three guys use? What the pack fodder used isn't as interesting to me.

  7. #7
    What offseason?
    Reputation: gray8110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    What did the top three guys use? What the pack fodder used isn't as interesting to me.
    Danielson's gearing is relevant to your question given that he has won on the mountain twice...

    Horner's quotes in this article seem to indicate that the whole Astana team was using 28s... that would cover Leipheimer.
    http://www.velonews.com/article/75386

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: blackhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by TACSTS
    When I went a couple years back, I saw (and photographed - just can't find it right now) some riders using a Dura-ace triple on Brasstown. It is STEEP!!
    I'd say that would be a picture worth posting.

  9. #9
    Dopers ruin sport
    Reputation: roadie92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    509
    Shoot, I would probably need a motor to get up brasstown.

  10. #10
    Cat 6 rider
    Reputation: California L33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    What did the top three guys use? What the pack fodder used isn't as interesting to me.
    Straight up! If we don't know what the best of the best use how can we be as fast as they are
    To the troll mobile, away...

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    221
    I rode up last year with a triple, 30t front ring. I swapped my RD for a MTB one and put a 13-34 cogset on. It was smooth cruising all the way except for the wall, where I would have liked even lower gears.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    869
    Some top riders use triples on the mountain stages of the major European tours. So big deal - they do what is needed to get up the hill as fast as possible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

INTERBIKE

Contest

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook