Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Tour de Suisse 2010 - Prologue - ITT last finishers

1K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  muscleendurance 
#1 ·

#3 ·
narrow and twisty ?

Those are our standard roads over here...

#4 ·
Damn, I thought it started on sunday! - oh well only the TT so i'll just take a look at those highlights

#6 ·
Seattleblu said:
So is Armstrong holding out or just washed up? He's an old man in cycling compared to some of the top contenders (at least in the TT). Fabian looked spot on.
My guess is that the true test of his fitness will be at the long TT. He'll try to give everything he has there;

He will probably also try some climbing attacks during the week, similar to what Contador did on Friday at the Dauphine'.

Those will tell the tale as to whether he has an spunk.

JSR

#7 ·
Seattleblu said:
So is Armstrong holding out or just washed up? He's an old man in cycling compared to some of the top contenders (at least in the TT). Fabian looked spot on.

Roads were wet and any of the TRS guys that rode after the rain started were held back. If you watch starting around 1:25 in the video you can see it. Johan commented that with Zubeldia out they can't risk losing anyone else.

#11 ·
Never, and I wouldn't expect him to win, but his TT'ing is usually a little better than that, even when bluffing or not wanting to peak too early. The damp roads, notwithstanding, I think he may be bluffing his bluffing. Before he crashed out in TOC, he didn't look that great.

stevesbike said:
when was the last time Armstrong won a race in June??

#14 ·
KESKI -

Thank you so very much for posting all these great videos

Armstrong looks good to me - he beat A Schleck a few weeks ago on a super short TT but its note worthy and he is a few seconds off C-man on a course that became progressively more wet than the earlier riders had to endure

by the way Seattleblu - he has won plenty of races in June

Given Contador's less than stellar but still great performance on Alp Duez, a stage he greatly wanted to win, and the fact that the Tour is only a couple weeks away, aside from Frank Scleck's condition, I think this could shape up to be an epic TDF if Lance can climb like the past

the Schlecks will need time before the long TT against Contador and Armstrong

If Lance can take 9 seconds off Andy in a few kilometers than doesn't bode well

the pressure will be on Contador really. I don't expect to see much from Basso but there are some other names that might make their day this year

certainly June has become a far more interesting match up than was anticipated

#16 ·
he did pretty well last year given his 3 year hiatus

no it doesn't require LA but you can't argue that his participation will add to an already excellent line up

by the way, he finished 3rd last year and he is a multi Tour winner, so discounting him is pretty naive but hey, you certainly may if it rox your sox

be well :)

#17 ·
CARBON110 said:
KESKI -

Given Contador's less than stellar but still great performance on Alp Duez, a stage he greatly wanted to win, and the fact that the Tour is only a couple weeks away, aside from Frank Scleck's condition, I think this could shape up to be an epic TDF if Lance can climb like the past
Less than stellar? You don't expend energy when you don't need to.. blowing away Brajkovic would've served no purpose. Contador knew exactly what was going on, with Brajkovic not being able to have anything left for a sprint. Contador himself is hardly known for his sprinting talent.

#18 · (Edited)
moabbiker said:
Less than stellar? You don't expend energy when you don't need to.. blowing away Brajkovic would've served no purpose. Contador knew exactly what was going on, with Brajkovic not being able to have anything left for a sprint. Contador himself is hardly known for his sprinting talent.
By all accounts this was a victory for Janez. Nothing will take away from that.

Contador wanted the win as much as anyone in the field and he couldn't do it with his team or on his own in June, 3 weeks prior to the start of the 2010 TDF

yeah it was training, but when you're a Tour contender you ride to win at this time during the year. It is a test of your fitness. I wouldn't say Lance is riding to win the TDS right now because he isn't, his TT was conservative clearly

there is great truth that you should not expend more energy than you are required but that is neither Alberto's style nor what I perceived as he crossed the line - he looked wasted by the effort. I think that is fair to say at least from the looks of a video. you may very well be right, I just disagree

I would go so far as to say Contador worked hard to not to lose the jersey and never reclaimed it from arguably Radio Shack's "B" team

Calling the finish a sprint is being generous, Contador barely mustered the edge

I'm not suggesting you should discount him, I'm merely remarking on the fact he did not look as strong as he has in the last, and I've never seen him struggle so much.

His repeated efforts were less explosive and less effective and the result was a pathetic sprint that rewarded him with a stage win at the Dauphine on Alp Duez

If anything it is clear Astana is going to have a tough time of it at the Tour but maybe that goes without saying

#19 ·
Creakyknees said:
you can see where Fabian switches on his motor at 5:34.
Nope, he is under close monitoring so he couldn't bring his motorbike,,,, that is why this time he had to climb off the saddle.

#20 ·
moabbiker said:
Is the same wishfull thinking for the LA fans infecting the bert fans now too?
you cant seriously believe that bert was not trying VERY hard --->trying his best..to drop Brajkovic on alpe dhuez?

LMAO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.