Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

The Tour has become incredibly boring

Breakaways always get caught. Sprint finishes; meh. Team Sky is obviously going to control thing until the end. The formula for winning has been established and any drama has been eliminated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Exclamation

Sagan being out hasn't helped. That was as stupid, misguided, and incorrect single decision I've seen in sports. How could a decision making group be so wrong.

Maybe Aru can make it interesting.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW88 View Post
    Breakaways always get caught. Sprint finishes; meh. Team Sky is obviously going to control thing until the end. The formula for winning has been established and any drama has been eliminated.
    Become? It has been that way for a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by greatestalltime View Post
    Sagan being out hasn't helped. That was as stupid, misguided, and incorrect single decision I've seen in sports. How could a decision making group be so wrong.

Maybe Aru can make it interesting.

O really?

Sagan was basically a shoe-in automatic for the green jersey since before the tour. Him being in wouldn't have made for interest for anyone other than his fan-base.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

O really?

Sagan was basically a shoe-in automatic for the green jersey since before the tour. Him being in wouldn't have made for interest for anyone other than his fan-base.
    [/FONT]
    Agree with this. His being there was exciting for his fan base. Him being out thus his fan base looses interest. Not a surprise. Nothing to complain about either. There are plenty of us who are fans of Valverde that totally lost interest in the Tour when he got hurt with a season ending injury. His still being in this race may have made it more exciting on a few stages, but not a guarantee.

Anphaque II
    I hoping the morrow's stage will provide some excitement.
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Agree with this. His being there was exciting for his fan base. Him being out thus his fan base looses interest. Not a surprise. Nothing to complain about either. There are plenty of us who are fans of Valverde that totally lost interest in the Tour when he got hurt with a season ending injury. His still being in this race may have made it more exciting on a few stages, but not a guarantee.

Arguably the least predictable most interesting classification in grand tour racing today...is the Lanterne Rouge. You never know who will have it or how long they'll keep it from year to year.

Olivier Le Gac just lost it, today, to Luke Rowe by 30 seconds. Both about 2 hours down on GC.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    bye
    don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I was watching a recent stage and Quintana drifted back to his team car. Christian Vande Velde made a comment that none of his Movistar team mates were near him. He follows it with something like maybe they all have given up trying to win. I thought it was hysterical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyjakes View Post
    I was watching a recent stage and Quintana drifted back to his team car. Christian Vande Velde made a comment that none of his Movistar team mates were near him. He follows it with something like maybe they all have given up trying to win. I thought it was hysterical.
    Well I think there's more to his comment than what he said. After Valverde got hurt, buried in the press release the team put out they made a comment, we must put all our efforts into getting Alejandro healthy our season is over. Also if you've watched the team and/or read comments from team members they are totally lost and have no direction at all. We are basically watching the team fall apart which is not fully surprising. When Valverde was banned for doping in 2010 the team fell apparent and did not recover until he got back in 2012. This team is doing the same thing right now. Also remember Vande Velde knows Valverde and several other members of the team. He may not know them well depending on how good his Spanish is, but he does know a few of the guys on that team.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyjakes View Post
    Similarly, Porte trying to hang with sprinters on I think stage 2's uphill sprint finish, seemed like he'd given up on winning the GC, and was trying for a stage that he wasn't going to win. And then another stage had two BMC riders off in a break or something doing their own thing. BMC didn't have the Sky/Postal commitment to all work for one person.

Froom/Sky have had this race sewn up for months, they selected/bought better support riders, and have made/motivated them to work for Froome's GC win, and nothing else (yet).

Anphaque II
    Quote Originally Posted by SNS1938 View Post
    Similarly, Porte trying to hang with sprinters on I think stage 2's uphill sprint finish, seemed like he'd given up on winning the GC, and was trying for a stage that he wasn't going to win. And then another stage had two BMC riders off in a break or something doing their own thing. BMC didn't have the Sky/Postal commitment to all work for one person.

Froom/Sky have had this race sewn up for months, they selected/bought better support riders, and have made/motivated them to work for Froome's GC win, and nothing else (yet).
    Yep; as well as perfecting doping doses/frequency, etc........

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Sprint finishes; meh.
    Sagan being out hasn't helped.
    Cav being out hasn't helped the sprint finishes either.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I continue to love the Tour de France. And all the grand tours. They're like novels. They're like long-form TV series where recurring characters battle it out in each episode.

It's not the outcome that's so interesting. It's the process. The day-by-day struggle. It's watching young bucks make their presence felt, current stars doing their best to maintain their grip, and fading stars trying to prove they still matter.

There's danger at every corner. At every pothole and piece of road furniture. There are the crazy fans. There's the battle against exhaustion and injury. Will your favorite stay upright and be able to fight again another day? Will the authorities descend on the peloton and capriciously toss somebody out? Will the King of the Peloton pompously assert his authority and order the race to stop so he can blow his nose? Yes, there's comedy, too. Venality and bravery ever exist side by side, cheek to jowl. It doesn't hurt that the action plays out against extraordinarily beautiful backdrops.

To me denigrating the grand tours because the outcome is less than in doubt is like denigrating a romantic novel because it ends with "And they lived happily ever after."
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I continue to love the Tour de France. And all the grand tours. They're like novels. They're like long-form TV series where recurring characters battle it out in each episode.

It's not the outcome that's so interesting. It's the process. The day-by-day struggle. It's watching young bucks make their presence felt, current stars doing their best to maintain their grip, and fading stars trying to prove they still matter.

There's danger at every corner. At every pothole and piece of road furniture. There are the crazy fans. There's the battle against exhaustion and injury. Will your favorite stay upright and be able to fight again another day? Will the authorities descend on the peloton and capriciously toss somebody out? Will the King of the Peloton pompously assert his authority and order the race to stop so he can blow his nose? Yes, there's comedy, too. Venality and bravery ever exist side by side, cheek to jowl. It doesn't hurt that the action plays out against extraordinarily beautiful backdrops.

To me denigrating the grand tours because the outcome is less than in doubt is like denigrating a romantic novel because it ends with "And they lived happily ever after."
    I'm with you...there's plenty to like even if your favorite rider or team isn't in the mix.

after watching a stage it's almost impossible for me to not grab the bike and go out for some miles...seeing the pros in action just inspires me to ride.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    With all due respect to the forum, and perhaps but a few exceptions, Big Mig fabricated the formula for what the TDF has become.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    With all due respect to the forum, and perhaps but a few exceptions, Big Mig fabricated the formula for what the TDF has become.
    I hated the Mig years. Mig never took any chances, never showed any panache. He just marked the other favorites in the mountains and then destroyed everyone in the TTs. When Riis finally beat him (on dope) I was elated, although it was a little sad watching Mig's face knowing that it was all over

Anphaque II
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    That's a very interesting take.

And it definitely seems like it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Real riders don't think the TDF is ever boring. We get it, you miss Sagan's wheelies and jumping over curbs, his good looks, his goofy laugh, and his 2nd, 3d place finishes to real sprinters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skewer View Post
    Real riders don't think the TDF is ever boring. We get it, you miss Sagan's wheelies and jumping over curbs, his good looks, his goofy laugh, and his 2nd, 3d place finishes to real sprinters.
    Actually we do, this tour from the moment they announced the route promised to be on the more boring side and its surpassed those expectations, its really boring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Have you guys been following Lance Armstrong's podcast of the Tour? His podcasts are possibly more interesting. (Don't turn my opinion into a doping debate, aight)

And for those complaining the Tour is boring, well it has been like this for the last 5 years with Sky. The Giro has been more interesting because there Sky has no control.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Have you guys been following Lance Armstrong's podcast of the Tour? His podcasts are possibly more interesting. (Don't turn my opinion into a doping debate, aight)

And for those complaining the Tour is boring, well it has been like this for the last 5 years with Sky. The Giro has been more interesting because there Sky has no control.
    Last 5 years? Odd, I always thought that Nibali rode for Astana when he won it in 2014.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015

I'm with you on this. When you pay attention to the subtleties of the moment you can find all sorts of excitement. I was rather into NASCAR a decade ago (go fast turn left!). I love me some defensive slogs in the NFL. With the TdF you can switch between GC, Sprint, or KoM. You can watch for stage hunting or hope for a successful breakaway. And you can change that focus from stage to stage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Yes, there's comedy, too.
    Agreed. Not comedy for the one who's suffering but...

This is why I don't like the idea of bib shorts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Skewer View Post
    Uh no.... don't try to prop yourself up as the only "real rider" simply because you love this stuff. There are plenty of "real riders" (whatever that means) that love other races, just not the TdF. Some serious cyclists/pro cycling fans love the Classics (like me), others love the Giro, for others, Cyclocross toots their whistle, etc. Falling in love with a particular race has nothing to do with your riding IMO.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post

In yesterday's Vlog, Lance started out by pretending to be asleep .. cause the Tour became so boring, LOL

But hehe .. not so boring finish today! we have a race now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast