Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    your text here

Tour Stage 15: 242.5k - 4 "Climbs" and then Ventoux

Ah, we all knew a break would get away. Personally, i didn't think such a large group get that much distance. It is great to see a return to initiative-based racing rather than the "shadow my competitor" blandness we have seen too often.

But this is what we have been waiting. Yankee Stadium is the American version Alpe d'Huez. I think Ventoux is more like the hallowed grounds of Lambeau field. An unforgiving "moonscape" that looks not of this earth, much like Lambeau in December.

But I digress.

With the sad exclusion of time bonuses this year, the stage winner is not necessarily going to be a GC hopeful. It is Bastille Day, where crime runs amok like "The Purge." I fully expect rubberface Voeckler to make an appearance and play for Ventoux. But I can't recall his history with the rocky hill.

Kreuziger has been quiet, but he is a GC hopeful now.

Schleck...nevermind.

Q from Colombia? Too close to GC. Unless he works with Contador.

Speaking of Contador, he has worked with the brothers Schleck in the past to bury riders, but that was not on a summit finish. However, he has a history of attacking HARD the day before a rest day. I fully exect him to have a go at it.

Froome will stick to Contador like a recent negative racer from England on Sky. Or pretty much any GC winner the past few...years?

I said it yesterday and I will say it again today: Voeckler and Rolland will double team with Rolland getting all the points but the summit, which will go to fellow countryman and heart-swooning Robin Williams impersonator...one Thomas Voeckler.

Don't forget about that sprint! Will Cavendish and Omega Pharma Sunkist try to steal it, or will Cannondale and Sagan spoil the party? Or possibly a break get the points?
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Travels by Map
    I think a breakaway will get the sprint and, as usual, will get caught on the final climb. I'll pick Quintana for the stage win. I think he can go a little late and won't have to worry about Froome marking him because of Froome's big time advantage and ITT advantage. Regardless, Quintana is clearly a great climber and has many reasons to ride all out tomorrow.

I hope Kreuziger and Contador are both in good form so we can see some excitement. You're right that Contador loves to attack before a rest day, and this time he also has the help of Kreuziger. Froome can't let Kreuziger go up the road, so Saxo has the one-two punch.

I'm guessing Mollema and ten Dam won't attack unless one sees a really decent opportunity and instead will just hang with the contenders looking for others to make a mistake or crack. I expect Kreuziger, Contador, Froome, and Quintana to be the primary riders animating the final climb though some non-contenders may go up the road from them if the pace isn't too high.

Get me to In&Out
    I think Ten Dam loses big tomorrow. Voekler is a good choice since it is Bastille day and the French are 0-13 so far in the Tour. Rolland is a good choice too. The only Moviestar rider who has a chance to see daylight is someone like Costa. Euskatel has been dead quiet so far this tour too. Maybe something from them finally.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Froome will take it.

You Phillip mah census
    Quote Originally Posted by SFTifoso View Post
    Froome will take it.
    Yeah, boring old negative Englishman Froome. For fvck's sake!Do you people ever stop with your childish dig's at the English? It was old three years ago ...

I hope Froome does win, if only to keep you whingers in the Yoo-ess-hey busy in this forum.

The world famous Lambeau field? My arse. Parkhead in Glasgow, Elland Road in Leeds, St James's Park in Newcastle, Anfield, even Old Trafford, all have more atmosphere than any gridiron stadium you can think of.
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

your text here
    yeesh. didnt mean to touch a nerve.

i think in the comparison to venues i called out the you-ess-OF-hey (not to be confused with our nicer neighbors to the north, the you-ess-of-eh). furthermore, while i called out the reigning-but-not-defending-tour-champion, i also noted the negative racing has been going on for a decade or so. and that includes the american cheaters.

but the big question: who is your pick?

Quote Originally Posted by sir duke View Post
    Yeah, boring old negative Englishman Froome. For fvck's sake!Do you people ever stop with your childish dig's at the English? It was old three years ago ...

I hope Froome does win, if only to keep you whingers in the Yoo-ess-hey busy in this forum.

The world famous Lambeau field? My arse. Parkhead in Glasgow, Elland Road in Leeds, St James's Park in Newcastle, Anfield, even Old Trafford, all have more atmosphere than any gridiron stadium you can think of.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post
    yeesh. didnt mean to touch a nerve.

i think in the comparison to venues i called out the you-ess-OF-hey (not to be confused with our nicer neighbors to the north, the you-ess-of-eh). furthermore, while i called out the reigning-but-not-defending-tour-champion, i also noted the negative racing has been going on for a decade or so. and that includes the american cheaters.
    Lambeau is different. It is much more like a euro football stadium than any other in the US. Small town, the field is tucked into it, not out in a suburb. Community support, heck community ownership so it will never move to another city. Fans up close and personal and crazy in a good way. :Loyal like no others. Even in bad years. And as for barren wasteland, it is called the frozen tundra.

I got the comparison. And I am a football fan, of both sorts.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

List of people who get unduly personal and are such a waste of my time I wrote a script to delete all their posts, even those in other people's replies:

AM999

You Phillip mah census

but the big question: who is your pick?
    Cavendish.
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

your text here
    i shoulda compared alpe to fenway or wrigley. oh well. sir duke (who i am beginning to suspect is not actually knighted, nor a member of the royal family) would have found a grudge there as well. boston tea parties, bad beer and baked beans you cant eat for breakfast or a chicago field that paved the way for stadium naming rights, supports the myth of black arts and fans that annually sacrifice a goat and leave the head either at the stadium or mail it to the GM.

(im just playing, sir duke. i am using the faceless interwebs to hide behind.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    More wheelies by Sagan please. Awesome stuff.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Wheelies on Ventoux. The kid has panache, and he's done his work for the day.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

your text here
    good way to celebrate.

and not get in trouble.

your text here
    andy paperboys his way off the road...

your text here
    sky takes control of the GC group. contador looks like he is choming at the bit in that group. i think he will wait until they are above the treeline.

but Q cruises ahead like its flat.

UNBANNABLE
    Oct 2012
    sky takes control of the GC group. contador looks like he is choming at the bit in that group. i think he will wait until they are above the treeline.

but Q cruises ahead like its flat.
    Looks like Sky flouting the rules to get some ..."food/fuel"...outside of the feedzone....hmmmm.....innocent mistake....hmmmmm....

RoadBikeReview Member
    andy paperboys his way off the road...
    well, that should put a stop to all of the andy predictions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    Looks like Sky flouting the rules to get some ..."food/fuel"...outside of the feedzone....hmmmm.....innocent mistake....hmmmmm....
    Yes. And it raised my eyebrow to hear that Contador switched bikes right before they hit Ventoux. He lost big time with the one mechanical, but this one seems quite well-timed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    Wonder what the "food/fuel" is. All of a sudden Froome found some super energy.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    3K - the race is now limited to Contador closing the 30 seconds - they are hitting a tepp section for a bit -at the top, the course flattens out - and the air is inth. Froome looks great, but Contador is totally in stgriking distance

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PJay View Post
    3K - the race is now limited to Contador closing the 30 seconds - they are hitting a tepp section for a bit -at the top, the course flattens out - and the air is inth. Froome looks great, but Contador is totally in stgriking distance
    Contador is +50 seconds back today. Thats no where near striking distance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    2k, nearly 1 min gap - contador would have to time trial at this point. froome looks fine - may have made a deal with Quantas

RoadBikeReview Member
    the devil! just made a cameo on the feed I have...

RoadBikeReview Member
    froome leaves Quintana Roo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Boom. It's done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    bartender, I want whatever he's having.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast