Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    your text here

Tour Stage 16: 168k and 3 Climbs

Here we are. No excitement on the rest day that you would normally read in another forum on this site. Unless you count track and field sprinters. I am certain we are all twice shy at this point, but let's continue to enjoy the race as it heads into the final week.

I hope the riders had a chance to actually rest. Yes, they do usually go out for some leisure café rides, so as not to stiffen up, but the pace this year has been blistering. Most of the time the peloton looks strung out, a telltale sign they are going pretty fast. Riders you would normally expect to be near the front are gassed. With an ITT following this stage, it can go a few different ways.

Do the GC hopefuls try to crack Froome? Will they attempt to drain him in Gap in an effort to tire him before the ITT? I doubt it. This is the telling stage where a break gets away and the top 2-10 riders compete against each other while Froome protects his position. The fun will be watching Contador and Kman working together against Quintana. Especially if Quintana goes off in search of the mountains classification currently held by Froome.

But what about stage winners? You KNOW I have to make some joke about Voeckler. And I will continue to bet on him. Now that his teammate and fellow countryman no longer has the polka dots, they should work together for the first two climbs.

But I am gonna play patriot and say TeeJay. Evans is out of it, so why not. I could even see Evans helping TeeJay early on. That would be sporting.

I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    sagan

--sad to recognize that cadel is out of it.

the contenders are going to have to stay within reach - you could not let anyone within say 15 or 16 minutes get away from about the halfway point -

a contender could make a good move once the sprinters start heading off for the sprint points at the 70 mile mark - there should be riders spread out on the course for bridging.

the final 25 miles do not look good for the peloton to reel in a breakaway.

so, those who now are in good position will have to remain within reach if cadel, schleck, or valverde decide to have a great day and shrink their gap from 15min or 20 min down to 10 min. - lots can happen on alp d'huez - no one should thnk that things are locked up.

froome will do well on time trial, so it will be interesting to see how much time he is willing to give up here. he cannot carry on like Lance Armstrong all tour, and his team has to be getting wore out from sustaining some incredible paces so far.

Cavendish will not win.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pjay View Post
    he cannot carry on like lance armstrong all tour, because that would be suspicious

cavendish will not win.
    fify.

You Phillip mah census
    Not much Contador can do today, he couldn't keep with Froom on Ventoux so there's not much chance he can get time back on a Cat 2 climb. With the ITT coming up he may save a bit to give himself a chance at the podium. Unless he tries to enlist Rodriguez and Valverde..either way I think he loses.

Voeckler or some other Europcar racer always comes good after a rest day. It's his last chance for glory.
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    le Chouchou FTW

Get me to In&Out
    Looks like there are quite a few points in the mountains classification. If Rolland is serious about it, I think he may strike out for those points from the start. Tommy V is always a good choice. Maybe he found some Spanish beef on rest day #2. Looks a bit steep for Sagan, but maybe Chavenel or Gilbert?
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Contador will never race for second. It's below him, and rightly so. This race is far from over with three big mountain stages coming up. Today the break stays away...
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

gazing from the shadows
    I see on the TdF live feed graphic that the wind is widdershins today.

I hate when that happens.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stout beers under trees, please.

List of people who get unduly personal and are such a waste of my time I wrote a script to delete all their posts, even those in other people's replies:

AM999

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Bit of panic as Froome and Conti both run off the road. Froome tips over and unclips while Conti does a front wheelie. But they are back underway.
    Mollema tried to get away but Porte pulls Froome and Conti back to the group.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Great breakaway winner in Rui Costa, a classic win.

Get me to In&Out
    I have him on my Fantasy team. Finally pulling some points in. Now if I could get Voekler to do ANYTHING I would be doing better.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Where's that GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    I have him on my Fantasy team. Finally pulling some points in. Now if I could get Voekler to do ANYTHING I would be doing better.
    As do I, except Gadret is my Voekler!
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

AJL
    Rock on!
    Well, Contador seems to have some kick back and Movistar is trying to move Quintana up in GC, so it looks the last week will be a bit more combative GC wise. As Froome said, the battle for second is interesting.
    Though I'm not trying to wish the Tour away, I'm really stoked about the battle we'll see amongst the sprinters in Paris!
    “In an honest search for knowledge, you quite often have to abide by ignorance for an indefinite period.”
    – Erwin Schrödinger, 1948

Where's that GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
    As do I, except Gadret is my Voekler!
    Speaking of Gadret - I found this in Cyclingnews.com....interesting:

"Gadret is not a friend of Team Sky

John Gadret (Ag2r-LaMondiale) has claimed that Team Sky has few friends in the peloton. Speaking in a long interview in L'Equipe, the shaven-headed Frenchman also suggested that there would be little sympathy or support for Froome if something happened to him during the final stages of the Tour.

"All the riders have turned against them because they're rich and because they think control the peloton," Gadret is reported to have said.

"At the Tour de Bavière (Bayern-Rundfahrt) they blocked the road behind the breakaway. But I went to the front with them. At the moment it's our fault, we just need to put our skates on and things would be quickly sorted out."

Asked if Froome could signify a fresh start for the sport, Gadret replied: "In any case, if something happens to him tomorrow (in the future), he will not have any support…"
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    It looked like Porte was almost out of it on the final climb. He got back on and rode the last descent brilliantly, but I think that he won't be doing much for Froome on the last few climbing stages.
    Froome himself seemed very emotional during his interview on Eurosport. Near to tears I thought - I think that the strain of being constantly attacked by Contador and his Spanish mates might get to him before the week is out.
    This TdF is the best for years. I started off being a Contador and Evans fan, now Froome is also on my list.

Travels by Map
    Quote Originally Posted by foto View Post
    Contador will never race for second. It's below him, and rightly so. This race is far from over with three big mountain stages coming up. Today the break stays away...
    Indeed. I already posted it in another thread, but not winning is not winning.

Alberto Contador: "It's not important for me whether I finish second or tenth"

Travels by Map
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    Bit of panic as Froome and Conti both run off the road. Froome tips over and unclips while Conti does a front wheelie. But they are back underway.
    Mollema tried to get away but Porte pulls Froome and Conti back to the group.
    Froome wasn't happy about it.
    Froome miffed at Contador after Spaniard falls and he nearly crashes on descent into Gap

I haven't seen it yet though I hope to in a bit.

You Phillip mah census
    Quote Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
    Speaking of Gadret - I found this in Cyclingnews.com....interesting:

"Gadret is not a friend of Team Sky

John Gadret (Ag2r-LaMondiale) has claimed that Team Sky has few friends in the peloton. Speaking in a long interview in L'Equipe, the shaven-headed Frenchman also suggested that there would be little sympathy or support for Froome if something happened to him during the final stages of the Tour.

"All the riders have turned against them because they're rich and because they think control the peloton," Gadret is reported to have said.

"At the Tour de Bavière (Bayern-Rundfahrt) they blocked the road behind the breakaway. But I went to the front with them. At the moment it's our fault, we just need to put our skates on and things would be quickly sorted out."

Asked if Froome could signify a fresh start for the sport, Gadret replied: "In any case, if something happens to him tomorrow (in the future), he will not have any support…"

Ahh, a jealous Frenchman, now that's a turn up. Best cure for that is to WIN SOMETHING!

your text here
    heaven forbid someone actually try to race and win. "getting desperate" and "attacking on the climbs and descents" is bad for racing? nobody said froome had to follow. if he doesnt want to race to keep his position...

the only time you can fault someone for pushing the envelope is if they fall or crash you on purpose.

he should be more worried about the thumbs up conti gave quintana. no doubt conti didnt lay his bike down on purpose, but porte and froome burned a lot of energy dragging conti back to the quintana and kreuziger group. hmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Froome wasn't happy about it.
    Froome miffed at Contador after Spaniard falls and he nearly crashes on descent into Gap

I haven't seen it yet though I hope to in a bit.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Porte looked superhuman on this stage.

Pull, pull, cover attack, pull, cover attack, drop, chase back, pull, BRIDGE... yes superhuman.

I like to see the attacking on the downhill.. IMO descending skills are important...

Races have been won by great descent artists.. and make things exciting. like Il Falco.

Paolo Savoldelli... known for his fast downhill riding. He is nicknamed Il Falco ("the falcon")"His downhill skills won him the 2005 Giro. His descent of the Colle delle Finestre before the final ascent to Sestriere in the penultimate stage, closed a gap to Gilberto Simoni, preserving his lead and giving him the win." from wikipedia
    “You don't suffer, kill yourself and take the risks I take just for money. I love bike racing.” .....Greg Lemond

You Phillip mah census
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalruns View Post
    Porte looked superhuman on this stage.

Pull, pull, cover attack, pull, cover attack, drop, chase back, pull, BRIDGE... yes superhuman.

I like to see the attacking on the downhill.. IMO descending skills are important...

Races have been won by great descent artists.. and make things exciting. like Il Falco.

Paolo Savoldelli... known for his fast downhill riding. He is nicknamed Il Falco ("the falcon")"His downhill skills won him the 2005 Giro. His descent of the Colle delle Finestre before the final ascent to Sestriere in the penultimate stage, closed a gap to Gilberto Simoni, preserving his lead and giving him the win." from wikipedia
    I like to see good, fast descending too. People tend to forget that if you are going up mountains, you have to come down them too if you want to finish a race. (Uphill stage finishes notwithstanding).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sir duke View Post
    I like to see good, fast descending too. People tend to forget that if you are going up mountains, you have to come down them too if you want to finish a race. (Uphill stage finishes notwithstanding).
    I've long wished the organizers would put a downhill ITT into the Tour. THAT would separate the men from the boys!

And count King of the Mountains points at the end of the descent following the categorized climbs, rather than at the peak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post
    heaven forbid someone actually try to race and win. "getting desperate" and "attacking on the climbs and descents" is bad for racing? nobody said froome had to follow. if he doesnt want to race to keep his position...
    This pretty much sums up what I was thinking.

As if Contador should back off because Froome thinks he's pushing a bit too hard!? It's called bike racing. There's no rule saying Conador should take it easy for Froome's sake, nor is there a rule forcing Froome to stay on his wheel. What's next, Froome telling Contador when he's 'allowed' to attack?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post

the only time you can fault someone for pushing the envelope is if they fall or crash you on purpose.

he should be more worried about the thumbs up conti gave quintana. no doubt conti didnt lay his bike down on purpose, but porte and froome burned a lot of energy dragging conti back to the quintana and kreuziger group. hmmmmm.
    I was neutral on Froome until this article, and seeing today's reaction from him. Yes, heaven forbid the other guys want to "attack on the hills and attack on the descents" and race.

What a poindexter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    he should be more worried about the thumbs up conti gave Quintana
    That was an ironic "thanks for nothing" gesture by Contador because, in his view, Quintana attacked after Conti's off. So Conti and Froome are both being a bit "sensitive" about the incident and its aftermath. That's racing and both should be relieved that it wasn't someone with Nibali's descending talents that they had to match.

(Froome talking about attacking uphill was him just stumbling over his words in what was a bit of an emotional state for him; maybe he genuinely did get a shock when he nearly went off avoiding Conti after the fall.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast