Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    your text here

Tour Stage 21: 133km NIGHT Finish AROUND l'Arc de Triomphe!

Haven't seen the end of Stage 20 yet, so I have no idea what the Mountains Classification is like. But I can say it was refreshing to have a meaningful stage rather than just an ITT.

Programming Note: le Tour will be on later Sunday. Why? BECAUSE THEY FINISH AT DUSK AROUND l'ARC de TRIOMPHE! Unless something crazy happened at the end of Stage 20, Jaune et Vert are both wrapped u. I still don't know if Froome or Rolland or Quintana has the Pois. The finally day is usually a parade into Paris, where crazy attacks happen until the sprinters reel it all in and have their day in the sun. However, sometimes the hidden races are fought along the way. I recall Vino stealing some points and time from Levi and booting him from the top five.

But the big contest is cutting the tape first. Cavendish has owned this stage in the past, but lady luck had npt been with him this turn. Griepel and Sagan each have only one stage. Kittel and Cavendish both have multiple stages this year. Could he Kittel bookend the 2013 Tour?

Doubt it.
    Cavendish steals the spotlight beneath the waxing Parisian moon.

I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Get me to In&Out
    Until Cavendish loses in Paris, I will always put my money on him. He knows the finish and folks are just plain tired right now. He did tweet that he actually is starting to feel good in the mountains after today.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

You Phillip mah census
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    Until Cavendish loses in Paris, I will always put my money on him. He knows the finish and folks are just plain tired right now. He did tweet that he actually is starting to feel good in the mountains after today.

A fair assessment, plus I'm sure he'd be more than pleased to steal a little of the limelight away from Team Sky and Froome's gold lame fishnet jersey. Cav and Wiggo weren't the best buddies, not sure how he feels about Froome, but he does like to boss it in Paris.
    Straight line speed, only one winner, but will he get a straight line?
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Froome's going to take the sprint.

Then he'll be the cemented as the greatest cyclist in history dominating the 100th TDF. Everyone will marvel at his unmatched talents.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
    Froome's going to take the sprint.

Then he'll be the cemented as the greatest cyclist in history dominating the 100th TDF. Everyone will marvel at his unmatched talents.
    It's like deja vu from 10 years ago.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

your text here
    he will also cure lymphoma as he crosses the finish, then eradicate HIV in Africa during the podium ceremony. without the aid of Amgen, no less.

your text here
    For those that have forgotten or never knew what Cav can do with a full team dedicated to his winning stage, here is my favorite Parisian stage: Stage 21 of the 2009 Tour de France. I had been on a steady diet of Chipotle that year and knew Farrar would win in Paris. Owning the second lap, I was standing in front of my chair, ready to celebrate. Under the red kite I thought, "This is it! Here we go!" The lead man ground into hi drivetrain and grimaced as he looked down. Hincapie swung left and the entire peloton followed. Columbia stole the inside apex from the boys in powder blue and it was all over.

That last stream makes it look like Cavendish is going faster than the moto.

teoteoteo was there when that split happened. I think he used to have a hotel room pov shot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Sagan wins the stage with a wheelie.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tempting to predict Kittel, but I have to go with Cavendish FTW.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post
    For those that have forgotten or never knew what Cav can do with a full team dedicated to his winning stage, here is my favorite Parisian stage: Stage 21 of the 2009 Tour de France. I had been on a steady diet of Chipotle that year and knew Farrar would win in Paris. Owning the second lap, I was standing in front of my chair, ready to celebrate. Under the red kite I thought, "This is it! Here we go!" The lead man ground into hi drivetrain and grimaced as he looked down. Hincapie swung left and the entire peloton followed. Columbia stole the inside apex from the boys in powder blue and it was all over.

That last stream makes it look like Cavendish is going faster than the moto.

teoteoteo was there when that split happened. I think he used to have a hotel room pov shot.
    and that is what an actual 'sprint leadout' looks like
    Hincapie did such a masterful job setting the table it wasn't even close
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sagan dyed his beard green! Love this guy.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Where's that GPS?
    Cav for the win today - next year Kittel perhaps.

That would be a satisfactory conclusion to what has been one of the better Tours in recent memory.

Froome should flirt with doing the Spanish Tour (payback for Wiggo's TdF comments).
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    Crap, I've lost my streaming. Does anybody have a link to live streaming?

Edit: found one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Cav gets a flat on the Champs. Worst timing ever.

Got back on a lot faster than I expected.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    Crap, I've lost my streaming. Does anybody have a link to live streaming?

Edit: found one.
    yup, me too. eurosport 1 live. how to find that in us? damn

mtnroadie
    I think Phil just called Sagan's green facial scruff moldy LOL

Anyone but Greipel for the win please! Get this Cav!

Daft Punk built my hotrod
    Excellent win for Kittel. Well done!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    That was a great sprint! All three remained in the same spots for a long way.

Wicked hop by Cavendish right before the line, but it wouldn't have made any difference. Kittel had a better leadout, looked like he had three guys at the end, Greipel and Cavendish looked like they had two.

Cav looked tiny next to those guys. Kittel looks even bigger than Greipel.

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    ...and nice job TdF officials, Paris...ah, what the hell: Anyone French.

Enjoyed finish ceremony. Lighting up the arch/show was a nice touch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It was a beautiful light show.

Albert Owen
    Jul 2008
    Looks like the Cavendish Era may be over. Next season he will come back stronger and so will the others. Some epic encounters, just like today's, are what we have in store over the next couple of years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Except for stage 5, Steegmans has done a terrible job of leading out Cav. Back in the HTC days, you'd never see a guy overtake Renshaw when they had a train going. But that happened a couple times this TdF.

That said, even with a good leadout, Cav lost to Kittel before, so it could very well be that his days as being unbeatable are over (although he did win the points jersey at the Giro this year, so maybe not).

Get me to In&Out
    Quote Originally Posted by gusmahler View Post
    Except for stage 5, Steegmans has done a terrible job of leading out Cav. Back in the HTC days, you'd never see a guy overtake Renshaw when they had a train going. But that happened a couple times this TdF.

That said, even with a good leadout, Cav lost to Kittel before, so it could very well be that his days as being unbeatable are over (although he did win the points jersey at the Giro this year, so maybe not).
    If Renshaw comes to OPQS like is rumored, it will be electrifying. Not sure what the Cannondale rider was doing in the middle of the Omega train, but I doubt it was on accident. The rider in front of him took a very short pull when he saw a Cannondale jersey which left Cav a rider short to the line. When I saw that, I pretty much knew they had beaten Cav.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Sagan doesn't have a lead out train. Through out the race he's been behind the other sprinters.

The Gorilla was close.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cavendish doesn't seem to have a very good weight distribution on that Venge - he already sprints with a very far forward position, and it seemed like his rear wheel was skipping all over the road in the sprint (not just when he hit a bump at the line). Wonder if that's why he yelled about the bike a few stages ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast