bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

ulrich in limbo?

from eurosport.com : ULLRICH WANTS DNA TESTS: Back at home in Switzerland, Jan Ullrich said he wanted to have DNA tests done to compare his blood with that found at Dr. Fuentes' office. He repeated his defence that he does not know Fuentes. According to his attorneys the problem is that the tests have to be requested by the Spanish authorities.

---------------------------

He's screwed until the Spanish authroities decide to move on it.

In all fairness, the Spanish authorities should of done this 2 weeks ago - and tested these bags of blood to the riders. But then again - does this blood really have to be the same as Jan's? Would he risk using someone else's?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The whole buisiness is screwed up. No real legal process. No difinitive evidence. No opportunity to prove your innocense. But these guys get suspended anyway.

I am holding out some hope for Jan. I hope he can come back a do the Vuelta or something.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolando
    The whole buisiness is screwed up. No real legal process. No difinitive evidence. No opportunity to prove your innocense. But these guys get suspended anyway.

I am holding out some hope for Jan. I hope he can come back a do the Vuelta or something.
    Unfortunately, any kind of extended suspension for Jan will essentially end his career. He had trouble getting motivated in off-season as it is. And he was supposedly going to retire after the tour anyhow.

Now, Basso is still relatively young, he may come back. I doubt it will be the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 55x11
    Now, Basso is still relatively young, he may come back. I doubt it will be the same.
    Basso won't come back the same because he'll be forced to come back clean. Good riddance to him.

Mühehersteller
    Quote Originally Posted by madvax
    Basso won't come back the same because he'll be forced to come back clean. Good riddance to him.

Brilliant...pontification.
    Passion. Ferocity. Realization.

For all the complaining, "I know more than you" voices about descending- <i>fast</i>; You would have never made it in motorcycle roadracing. In my 8 seasons on the track, I never heard the constant outcry from riders- it was too fast...or too dangerous. It is what it is, and a <i>choice</i> to do so.

To see 'real' racers in action-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zjv0ZHvFIQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNxJrB_8gHk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher

Brilliant...pontification.
    I understand what you're saying/implying.

Do you honestly think that T-Mobile and CSC would just drop their star riders the day before the tour without a fight?...Unless, of course, they know something we don't? Why else would Basso go to Fuentes? This certainly would explain his dominance in the Giro.

I was a big fan of both Ullrich and Basso. I'm just very disappointed right now. If Basso and Ullrich are clean, I sincerely hope they are quickly exonerated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madvax
    I understand what you're saying/implying.

Do you honestly think that T-Mobile and CSC would just drop their star riders the day before the tour without a fight?...Unless, of course, they know something we don't? Why else would Basso go to Fuentes? This certainly would explain his dominance in the Giro.

I was a big fan of both Ullrich and Basso. I'm just very disappointed right now. If Basso and Ullrich are clean, I sincerely hope they are quickly exonerated.
    They had no option but to suspend them. Both are under investigation and the Pro Tour Ethics Charter dictates that they be withdrawn.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimobici
    They had no option but to suspend them. Both are under investigation and the Pro Tour Ethics Charter dictates that they be withdrawn.
    Yes, you're right, but...

It sure seemed like Riis was not very supportive of Basso. In fact it was Riis that said that Basso's contract forbid him to work with Doctors outside of CSC. He also sent Basso away from the Tour very quickly. It just seemed to me that Riis was already starting to distance himself from Basso. Perhaps Riis was simply doing what was best for the team. Personally, I don't think Riis truly believes Basso is innocent.

I hope I'm wrong about Basso. I guess time (and lawyers) will tell.