Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Velogames 2018

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK View Post
    Joined the Tirreno-Adriatico game. Not an easy one to pick.

And I'm actually leading Paris-Nice right now. Yeah, I'm shocked. I don't expect to stay there, but I'll take it for as long as it lasts. (And I'll definitely take the two stage podiums with the win today. Oh, that's also my first ever stage win. Yeah, I'll definitely take that one. )
    Congrats! You, majbuzz, and PBL450 are killing it right now. I am just happy my team had a better day. Stage one hurt my feelings.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got my T-A team in ... Hopefully they have a better start then my P-N team.
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Congrats! You, majbuzz, and PBL450 are killing it right now. I am just happy my team had a better day. Stage one hurt my feelings.
    Been lucky so far but I feel a sinking feeling coming looking at the upcoming stages. My T-A team is a total crap shoot. Makes watching the races more fun pulling for guys or teams I donít normally follow or root for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    Been lucky so far but I feel a sinking feeling coming looking at the upcoming stages. My T-A team is a total crap shoot. Makes watching the races more fun pulling for guys or teams I donít normally follow or root for.

Definitely more fun watching races and pulling for guys you put on your team. Although I would have been cheering for Marc Soler anyway. He's one of the youngsters in the peloton I have high hopes for in the future. With his points being what they were I had to put him on my team and hope.

Rashadabd, Thanks. no idea how long this will last for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Agreed, it definitely makes it more fun. I am not convinced my final TA team is a winner either, but at least they are guys I like to watch race.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    I for T-A. I actually tried to take Froome. I even selected him. But I just couldnít stomach it... plus, what happens when he gets retroactively banned? Haha.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    All I can say is Arnaud Demare is ridiculous. The dude is this big sprinter, but he's up there climbing with the climbers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For T-A I ended up going with a group of riders I can at least enjoy cheering for even if the team doesn't do very well. I'm not that confident, esp considering there's a TTT in this race along with an ITT.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Well, I just lost Cav on day one. Heís another guy I am going to have to start staying away from.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, I just lost Cav on day one. Heís another guy I am going to have to start staying away from.
    I stopped picking Cav 2-3 years ago ... he gets his shot in every now and then, but overall isn't a great performer any longer compared to other sprinters in the field.
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

RoadBikeReview Member
    He just seems to be quite crash prone. Probably no more than most, but I just feel like he seems to always be on the deck. I guess it's because he is a high profile guy so I notice it more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I didn't put Cav on my team on this game, but did have him on a different manager game I play. (That one you pick 9 riders....whomever you want, no points caps or anything). I agree, I just need to start staying away from him completely.

On the other hand, Marc Soler is showing he's capable of leading Movistar and not buckling under the pressure of it. He put in a very good ITT today and now has himself in a good position to try to finish on the podium if not win Paris-Nice.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Cav does seem to end up on the ground a lot lately...

Paris-Nice is shaping up to be quite a race. I think today has set the stage for the GC guys... I wouldn't count any eggs before they've hatched though. The next few days are all going to be tough GC days. I think the scene will change around a lot.

I went with a strong TT and climbing team for Tireno-Adriatico and through in Sagan for good measure because he always finds a way to win at least one stage.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cav hasnít shaken the bad mojo since he crashed out in front of the Brits Queen in Le Tour. Heís been kinda cursed. Cursed to get thrown into an iron fence by Peter Sagan. (Even if he did earn the throw) Iíll tell you, mojo seems to really matter. Dylan Groenewagen has got it, Iím telling you, the kids a four leaf clover right now. Soler too. Heís being what Movistar was hoping for.

So P-N we get to some climbing tomorrow! Iím happy to leave this ITT behind... Maybe the lumpy surface was a bigger factor than I anticipated but I expected a lot more from Gallopin. He was a non starter.

T-A what do you know from an opening TTT? Nothing. I do love the stage though. It is the only context where you see TT bikes drafting. The precision, team work and frankly, the danger involved in that makes it a cool thing to watch. I wonder how Cavís face is doing? It didnít look good crossing the line thatís for sure. Big storm here in the USA northeast gave me the chance to watch both TTs. Itíd be like watching paint dry if I didnít have such a strong rooting interest in the races. Thanks much to the organizers, the promoters, and all the other players!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Cav hasnít shaken the bad mojo since he crashed out in front of the Brits Queen in Le Tour. Heís been kinda cursed. Cursed to get thrown into an iron fence by Peter Sagan. (Even if he did earn the throw) Iíll tell you, mojo seems to really matter. Dylan Groenewagen has got it, Iím telling you, the kids a four leaf clover right now. Soler too. Heís being what Movistar was hoping for.

So P-N we get to some climbing tomorrow! Iím happy to leave this ITT behind... Maybe the lumpy surface was a bigger factor than I anticipated but I expected a lot more from Gallopin. He was a non starter.

T-A what do you know from an opening TTT? Nothing. I do love the stage though. It is the only context where you see TT bikes drafting. The precision, team work and frankly, the danger involved in that makes it a cool thing to watch. I wonder how Cavís face is doing? It didnít look good crossing the line thatís for sure. Big storm here in the USA northeast gave me the chance to watch both TTs. Itíd be like watching paint dry if I didnít have such a strong rooting interest in the races. Thanks much to the organizers, the promoters, and all the other players!

DG is definitely feeling confident right now. I don't think he has quite the top end speed of the other guys, but he seems to go early and then be able to hold it... he gets a gap and makes the others chase him. they think he's gone to early and will fade, but he doesn't. I wonder how long he can make that trick last before the teams figure it out and just start using him as a lead-out. As for Cav, I think that he's losing a little bit of his speed, so he's resorting to riskier and riskier maneuvers to get himself into position... that doesn't account for yesterday, though. Yesterday's crash was probably just bad luck or an error because it was a TTT. As you mentioned, TTT's are very dangerous, when they're done right, it looks almost effortless, but when something goes wrong, it goes dramatically wrong. I'm in NJ, so we got hit with the snow storm too.. At least the delivery man got here with my rear disc wheel yesterday, before the weather got too horrible. I'm stoked.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    DG is definitely feeling confident right now. I don't think he has quite the top end speed of the other guys, but he seems to go early and then be able to hold it... he gets a gap and makes the others chase him. they think he's gone to early and will fade, but he doesn't. I wonder how long he can make that trick last before the teams figure it out and just start using him as a lead-out. As for Cav, I think that he's losing a little bit of his speed, so he's resorting to riskier and riskier maneuvers to get himself into position... that doesn't account for yesterday, though. Yesterday's crash was probably just bad luck or an error because it was a TTT. As you mentioned, TTT's are very dangerous, when they're done right, it looks almost effortless, but when something goes wrong, it goes dramatically wrong. I'm in NJ, so we got hit with the snow storm too.. At least the delivery man got here with my rear disc wheel yesterday, before the weather got too horrible. I'm stoked.
    I agree with this. Hate to see it happen to Cav, but such is life. VG is not going well this season thus far, but I am hoping things pick up for both teams once with hit the mountains and TA ITT. At least I got Wout Poels rigth I guess.... That TA ITT should be a slugfest too (at least I hope it is).

DG is definitely really good, but of the young sprinters, I still think Gaviria and Ewan are the best of that bunch. When on form, Greipel and Kittell are tough beat, period. Viviani and Sagan bring flair and a sudden burst that can win on any given day and Demare is good too.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 03-08-2018 at 11:55 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well my T-A team is back where I expect it to be (closer to the bottom) while I apparently did a very good job (at least for now) with my P-N team. Plus I can end the season happily with a couple stages win thanks to my P-N team, which is more than I had all of last year. I'm very happy with who I picked and the fact that I took a chance with Soler and he's so far delivered. I put Sanchez on my team hoping he would still be carrying that form he's had since the season started. My sprinters, well I just picked three that so far this year had been hot and I could "afford". Of course it's my most expensive rider who has not delivered at all. Go figure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree with this. Hate to see it happen to Cav, but such is life. VG is not going well this season thus far, but I am hoping things pick up for both teams once with hit the mountains and TA ITT. At least I got Wout Poels rigth I guess.... That TA ITT should be a slugfest too (at least I hope it is).

DG is definitely really good, but of the young sprinters, I still think Gaviria and Ewan are the best of that bunch. When on form, Greipel and Kittell are tough beat, period. Viviani and Sagan bring flair and a sudden burst that can win on any given day and Demare is good too.
    Def Gaviria, I think he and DG are going to shake out of the bunch as the next elite sprinters. Kittle and the Gorilla arenít done... Not nearly. But I think these are the heir-apparents. Cav May have another kick or two, but thatís prolly about it. The Sagan, Demare, Matthews type group is good, excellent points race contenders, but a step off the pure sprinters. Ewan is in between.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

So I um.... didn't actually get that Wout Poels thing right after all. What a disaster! So happy cycling is in full swing though.

Poels crashes out of Paris-Nice | Cyclingnews.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    So I um.... didn't actually get that Wout Poels thing right after all. What a disaster! So happy cycling is in full swing though.

Ouch.

RoadBikeReview Member

That was a nasty looking crash... I hope he is OK. He was favoring his left shoulder. They back boarded him to be safe. He had to be going over 50kph when he went down into that guard rail. Couldíve easily gone over a shallow cliff there too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    That was a nasty looking crash... I hope he is OK. He was favoring his left shoulder. They back boarded him to be safe. He had to be going over 50kph when he went down into that guard rail. Couldíve easily gone over a shallow cliff there too.
    I read something (maybe velo news or cycling news) that said he broke his shoulder. Luisle Sanchez was right behind him and said he missed the corner and the crash looked bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I just watched the replay. It looked like a horrible crash, my goodness. I hope he heals up soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just caught up this morning and that was a nasty crash. Feel bad for the guy, he was having a great race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    Just caught up this morning and that was a nasty crash. Feel bad for the guy, he was having a great race.
    At this point, I basically have one whole team between the two races... I've lost so many guys, including the leaders on both teams.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast