Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Cycling 4 Life
    Reputation: wzq622's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    786

    Who is el Diablo?

    This guy has the sweetest occupation of showing up at races and cheering on the riders. I see him in every major race running with the riders and purely enjoying himself.

    but...

    Does anyone have info on who this person is or his background? I'm just curious because he just seems to hang around the riders. I remember someone said he is German. Anyone know anything about him?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who is el Diablo?-still-fresh-after-long-day-frank-kaelin.jpg  

  2. #2
    Bling Bling Master!
    Reputation: Florentine Pogen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    429

    He is the son of a wealthy

    german cheese proprietor.
    In Eddy's early days he was known for his cheese loving habits. He was one of the their best customers. Merckx had a serious weakness for Bavarian cheese spread on pretzels. Once while Eddy was eating this famous pretzel little Hans (el diablo) was playing with a prized Colnago. He was young and foolish and packed the calipers with a soft German cheese. Eddy did not know and when he mounted the bike little Hans chased him down the street jumping and hopping and yelling "go cheese go". "You little devil", Eddy proclaimed! And just like that the legend of the "El Diablo" was created.

    Is that good?

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: boneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    2,608

    His name is Didier

    Nice enough guy. I met him at the Lisbon Worlds and then again in Verona last year. He makes bikes, well you be the judge, in his spare time between attending events. Extremely popular with the fans although his outfit does get a bit ripe. My wife thinks he's a bit scarey. Wouldn't go near his camper in Verona.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who is el Diablo?-2rreldiab1.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  4. #4
    Cycling 4 Life
    Reputation: wzq622's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    786
    sry for the really large picture.


    was too lazy to crop it down.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mr meow meow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    602

    Quick Quiz

    Quote Originally Posted by boneman
    Nice enough guy. I met him at the Lisbon Worlds and then again in Verona last year. He makes bikes, well you be the judge, in his spare time between attending events. Extremely popular with the fans although his outfit does get a bit ripe. My wife thinks he's a bit scarey. Wouldn't go near his camper in Verona.
    Who are the only two people on the earth sponsored by 'LUK'.......?

    Hans "no way" Rey and 'El Diablo', really smelly dude or whatever you want to call him
    are you having fun?...

  6. #6
    Cycling 4 Life
    Reputation: wzq622's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by Florentine Pogen
    german cheese proprietor.
    In Eddy's early days he was known for his cheese loving habits. He was one of the their best customers. Merckx had a serious weakness for Bavarian cheese spread on pretzels. Once while Eddy was eating this famous pretzel little Hans (el diablo) was playing with a prized Colnago. He was young and foolish and packed the calipers with a soft German cheese. Eddy did not know and when he mounted the bike little Hans chased him down the street jumping and hopping and yelling "go cheese go". "You little devil", Eddy proclaimed! And just like that the legend of the "El Diablo" was created.

    Is that good?

    that's awesome!

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: adelaarvaren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    152
    The last name is Senf, the german word for mustard.

  8. #8
    Non non normal
    Reputation: bigrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    9,348

    my contribution

    He should of played basketball
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who is el Diablo?-devil-1-.jpg  
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    72
    Somebody here awhile back posted a link to an interview with this guy. It was pretty cool. Maybe you can find it on a search?

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,064
    El Diablo is, was, and always will be Claudio Chiappucci.

  11. #11
    Burning Fists of Love
    Reputation: ttug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,901

    Caution about Diablo

    Diablio can ride very well. He used to ride the entire TDF route every year.
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: Utah CragHopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by asgelle
    El Diablo is, was, and always will be Claudio Chiappucci.
    Chiappucci was The Man. I wonder what he's up to. Cyclingnews had a pic of Bugno at the Giro and he looked fit enough to still be competing.

Similar Threads

  1. El Tour Ride Report
    By seanf711 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 07:08 PM
  2. El Tour De Tucson Ride Reports
    By pedalAZ in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 11:54 AM
  3. Mt. Diablo
    By peterpen in forum Northern California
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 09:02 AM
  4. Where's El Diablo?
    By markkar in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 07:33 PM
  5. Wicked Diablo biting flies
    By sodade in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 05:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

INTERBIKE

Contest

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook