RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Would a pursuit-stage be interesting to decide a Grand Tour?

Did you watch the Tour the Ski a week ago? The nordic skiers top the madness of a Lyndsey Vonn or Didier Cuche by racing one of their downhill slopes up, 25 and more % gradient. Anyway, on the last stage they started according to their place in the overall standings, and if #1, #2 and so on were seperated by say a minute, #2 started a minute after the leader. Winner of the tour was, who arrived on top of the hill first. Pursuit races have been introduced to many winter sports, Nordic Skiing, Biathlon, Nordic Combination, and the number of live spectators in those former fringe sports rival football nowadays.

Why not do one of them in the Tour the France, on the penultimate stage? A nice HC climb, and the racers start after the yellow shirt according to their time deficits?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quadrat View Post
    Did you watch the Tour the Ski a week ago? The nordic skiers top the madness of a Lyndsey Vonn or Didier Cuche by racing one of their downhill slopes up, 25 and more % gradient. Anyway, on the last stage they started according to their place in the overall standings, and if #1, #2 and so on were seperated by say a minute, #2 started a minute after the leader. Winner of the tour was, who arrived on top of the hill first. Pursuit races have been introduced to many winter sports, Nordic Skiing, Biathlon, Nordic Combination, and the number of live spectators in those former fringe sports rival football nowadays.

Why not do one of them in the Tour the France, on the penultimate stage? A nice HC climb, and the racers start after the yellow shirt according to their time deficits?
    it may be an interesting idea, I was wondering the same thing - except that if it is close, the tour may all be decided by whoever drafts and then outsprints in the end. So I think the finish has to be super-steep. If the time gaps are large already, imagine Contador starting 4 min ahead of Schleck and 6 minutes ahead of Basso - then it's basically all over before it starts. But it could be an interesting twist, I agree with you. Especially if like last year we have, say, Voeckler or someone else in the lead, starting first, and top GC contenders chasing for the win. It could be good as intermediate stage as well - whoever finishes first gets yellow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Sounds like something to try in the new-style Vuelta. If it works there, who knows? But the Tour isn't going to be the first race to try it out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    In other words a team time trial?

This space for sale
    What about the domestique that is 3 hours behind the leader with no chance of winning? He would be finishing a stage at midnight.
    Sometimes I ride my bike to nowhere, to see nothing, just so I can ride my bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Yes, it would be a mountain time trial. The problem of the domestiques can be solved by having them start in a bulk, say everybody with half an hour or more deficit. All individual times are recorded and added to the total anyway. I think the advantage of this format is that pure individual strenght counts, no tactics, no team work.

CAADalyst
    I think the advantage of this format is that pure individual strenght counts, no tactics, no team work.
    in other words you mean none of the stuff that makes cycling great...

it would be an interesting twist though...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Mountain stage?! Better idea - make it a longish rolling stage so that the strong all-arounder has a shot. I would love to see a skinny little guy like Contador or Andy Schleck try to defend his jersey over 70-80 miles (with no domestique help) knowing that a Philippe Gilbert or Fabian Cancellara is only five or six minutes back. Let's give riders like that incentive to work harder in the mountains to stay within striking distance rather than ceding it to the flyweights.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Spinner View Post
    Mountain stage?! Better idea - make it a longish rolling stage so that the strong all-arounder has a shot. I would love to see a skinny little guy like Contador or Andy Schleck try to defend his jersey over 70-80 miles (with no domestique help) knowing that a Philippe Gilbert or Fabian Cancellara is only five or six minutes back. Let's give riders like that incentive to work harder in the mountains to stay within striking distance rather than ceding it to the flyweights.
    this means Cavendish could win TdF?!

Umm, maybe I'm missing something here. But isn't this just a different form of a time trial? It's still technically a race against the clock, but the difference is just the start order and when they start? Which as I write this I could see how it could spice up a TT stage because you could watch each competitor make up time and watch it develop instead of just watching people cross the finish line.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by agm2 View Post
    Umm, maybe I'm missing something here. But isn't this just a different form of a time trial? It's still technically a race against the clock, but the difference is just the start order and when they start? Which as I write this I could see how it could spice up a TT stage because you could watch each competitor make up time and watch it develop instead of just watching people cross the finish line.
    and as soon as the first few have finished, nobody would care much. (the exciting battle for spot 28 )
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    and as soon as the first few have finished, nobody would care much. (the exciting battle for spot 28 )
    as opposed to most races (where nobody usually cares once the first one crossed the finish line), or time trials (where nobody cares until the last few riders are on the course)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 55x11 View Post
    as opposed to most races (where nobody usually cares once the first one crossed the finish line), or time trials (where nobody cares until the last few riders are on the course)?
    plenty of people have the tv running for a large fraction of the TTs. Plenty of riders to follow on the final TT in the current format. Say Cancellara, Zabriesky, Miller, and Martin that do not start among the last 10.
    Blows your hair back.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    You are basically just describing a time trial, with the time differences coming off at the beginning instead of the end. This happened as recently as last year, and it decided the tour for Cadel.

Remember?