Thread: 350 Watts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

350 Watts

Friday I went on what was supposed to be an "easy" ride, so I took my heavy bike and rode up my usual hill. At one time another cyclist was "suddenly" behind me and followed me closely instead of overtaking. Hmm, what would I do if he overtakes me? Let him go or throw my intentions of "easy riding" overboard?

Several minutes later he was still following me when a guy on what looked first like a foldable bike overtook us? Oops, seems I'm really taking it easy... but then the guy said something like "... this isn't fair" and I noticed that his bike had an electric engine; ok, so I wasn't that slow.

The guy behind me grabbed the e-bike's wheel and I followed them (so much for "easy"). Then the climb gets a bit steeper (still nothing serious) and after a short while the guy in front of me starts struggling... That's when I decided to see whether I can stay with the "not fair" rider. Surprisingly I did, and when it got a bit less steep again I pulled next to the e-bike and asked the rider (who was pedaling all the time) how much power the engine produces: "350 Watts".

Hmm, how was I able to keep up? If I could produce 350W for any significant amount of time I would be king of the mountain... So either that e-bike is really heavy or the engine didn't actually generate the full output during that "race" (yes, the guy said he liked to race cyclists on that climb).

Does anyone use e-bikes (or stronger electrically powered bikes) for pacing? Seems a better choice than a bike with a combustion engine (the exhausts can be pretty bad).

RoadBikeReview Member
    A street legal ebike in Canada will be speed limited to 32kph. I believe it would be the same in the USA. 20mph. Kinda slow for motorpacing.

Most pedal assist ebikes are not designed with top speed in mind. They accelerate strongly from a low speed for stop and go traffic. And provide help when you are climbing.
    My videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSuperMotoHooligan

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrazyCyclingVlogger

"The crows come in groups but the eagle soars alone" Jens Voigt

"They call me the Panther, and panthers always have the energy for one last swipe of their claws. Daniele Bennati

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Time View Post
    Friday I went on what was supposed to be an "easy" ride, so I took my heavy bike and rode up my usual hill. At one time another cyclist was "suddenly" behind me and followed me closely instead of overtaking. Hmm, what would I do if he overtakes me? Let him go or throw my intentions of "easy riding" overboard?

Several minutes later he was still following me when a guy on what looked first like a foldable bike overtook us? Oops, seems I'm really taking it easy... but then the guy said something like "... this isn't fair" and I noticed that his bike had an electric engine; ok, so I wasn't that slow.

The guy behind me grabbed the e-bike's wheel and I followed them (so much for "easy"). Then the climb gets a bit steeper (still nothing serious) and after a short while the guy in front of me starts struggling... That's when I decided to see whether I can stay with the "not fair" rider. Surprisingly I did, and when it got a bit less steep again I pulled next to the e-bike and asked the rider (who was pedaling all the time) how much power the engine produces: "350 Watts".

Hmm, how was I able to keep up? If I could produce 350W for any significant amount of time I would be king of the mountain... So either that e-bike is really heavy or the engine didn't actually generate the full output during that "race" (yes, the guy said he liked to race cyclists on that climb).

Does anyone use e-bikes (or stronger electrically powered bikes) for pacing? Seems a better choice than a bike with a combustion engine (the exhausts can be pretty bad).
    A lot would depend on the riders weight. 350W for a 100kg person isn't too hard to keep up with. You could be 250W and 50kg and kick his butt. Add the extra weight of the bike on top and the power to weight ratio becomes lower. So in short, while his motor was pumping out 350W you may have only been doing 300W.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    The guy on the e-bike was not overweight, he looked "HWP" to me (about as tall as I, but probably a few kg heavier as I'm really lean). Hmm, at 350W he and his bike were probably at least 15kg heavier than I and my bike.

About pacing: e-bikes are probably only good for uphill pacing. However, around here a lot of scooters have electric engines and those certainly go 50km/h and maybe more. I haven't tried to draft those in the flat as that's too dangerous (unknown riders with often sketchy behaviour).