RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

any former weight lifters here, supplements yeah or nah?

Hey guys, although cycling has taken over my life, i still hit the weight room quite a bit. I've lost a lot of my upper body due to all the cycling and while that's alright, i'd hate to loss all of it. ever since high school, i have taken supplements of one kind or another with varied results. (the legal kind, no flames please). so i was just curious if anyone had similar experiences. do u take anything now? i.e. creatine, ripped fuel, NO2 (very popular among the gym rats now).
    Cheers, happy new years everyone.
    Kyle.

RoadBikeReview Member

Id say Nah

I used to lift quite a bit, and used various supplements. Creatine made me super dehydrated, although I did put on lots of mass. I dont use anything now as I am one of those types who put on muscle quickly, and thats not what I want. I think that a balanced diet is the safest, cheapest and best way to go. Supplements can be usefull, but I have found that the natural foods used correctly are the way to go. Good luck.

Power Napper
    As a professional in the fitness world I say stay away from any of that junk. What would be the purpose? If your primary interest is now cycling carrying a lot of upper body mass won't help. Enough good quality food should be sufficient to maintain a reasonable amount of muscle mass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by backon2wheels
    Hey guys, although cycling has taken over my life, i still hit the weight room quite a bit. I've lost a lot of my upper body due to all the cycling and while that's alright, i'd hate to loss all of it. ever since high school, i have taken supplements of one kind or another with varied results. (the legal kind, no flames please). so i was just curious if anyone had similar experiences. do u take anything now? i.e. creatine, ripped fuel, NO2 (very popular among the gym rats now).
    Cheers, happy new years everyone.
    Kyle.
    None of that stuff you mentioned is really any good for cycling- IMHO. Creatine just helps you hold water, ripped fuel is like drinking a few coffees on ephedrine, and NO2 is simply the "next creatine" (developed by the same guy, I might add). Frankly, I find the science behind NO2 to be rather dubious, and I don't think there is a single scientific study that backs it up. It is expensive. I doubt it is worth it.

Back in the old days, it seemed all the legal supplements were garbage... these days, I think there is a little something to be said for legal supplements, but the results pale in comparison to illegal substances. I'd also argue that the bang for the buck is rotten for supplements.

As a former gym rat, I've no problem with being 25 lbs lighter... and now that I'm in my 30s, I'd rather have a leaner upper body than look like some of my former gym rat friends whose monster pecs have drifted south into the belly region.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    thanks for the advice guys.
    i'm really just trying to hold on to the upper body that i have left.
    i'm still a bit big for a cyclist. but cycling is just a part of my life, although its a BIG part.
    nutrition is certainly a challenge, not just for me, i think everyone that is health conscious.
    reading CCs' Food for Fitness now. so i'm on the right track.
    thanks again,
    Kyle.