RoadBikeReview Member

Anything to lose during a workout if I have an aerobar on the trainer bike?

Sweat gets to my palms during longer intervals, having me reach over to a towel to wipe them + the handlebar repeatedly. I figure along with that issue, there's not really anything detrimental to not having my hands on the hoods or in the drops. I mean, it's not as if I'll suddenly lose some "wrist skills" before each weekend, and the there's no lateral play of the bike on the trainer to manage anyway.

Or am I missing something?

Was considering a cheaper clip-on with adjoined ends - whatever holds the upper portion of my 145lbs.

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    This wouldn't be detrimental.

But... if sweat is a problem, it'd probably be on your elbows/forearms too, to an even greater degree, so aerobars wouldn't work too well. I'd personally recommend you wear gloves.
    "It's hard to tell the poison from the cure, so enjoy the disease."
    -Mohair_Chair

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Or just drape a towel over the bullhorns.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I think you'd miss out on training your back/core muscles a bit.

I've never even touched an aero bar but don't people basically rest their front weight on them (as opposed to using core muscles).

Gloves?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've always used an aero bar on my trainer bike (I have an old bike permanently fixed to my indoor trainer).

It works great as a towl rack, and great if you are working on TT's...And since I mostly train for TT's, it's what I use the most. Also, if set up in the right place it simulates going hard while in the drops, or having you arms draped over the bars such as you would do in a break away attempt. I do all my intervals in my Aero bars.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd agree that using aerobars is probably fine, I'm a bit puzzled that this is being utilized as a solution to sweating a lot.

Using a good enough fan?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dude I am doing this next winter. It will be so much easier to ride the trainer while playing MX vs ATV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you
    I'd agree that using aerobars is probably fine, I'm a bit puzzled that this is being utilized as a solution to sweating a lot.

Using a good enough fan?
    Limited space: Trainer + bike reside between the garage door and a sidecar motorcycle. Garage stores a lot of luggage bags along with 3 motorcycles and junk since family travels a lot.

I figure with aerobars, my upper body is falling vertically/perpecdicular on top of a "platform", so I don't have to be concerned with palm grip.

waterproof*
    you really should make a way to have a fan; your workouts will be far more comfortable and you'll be able to ride harder thus more effectively.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    you really should make a way to have a fan; your workouts will be far more comfortable and you'll be able to ride harder thus more effectively.
    +1. Just take your trainer INSIDE, plop it in front of your TV with a nice fan or two on you while using a nice movie, race, or interval DVD to keep you going. Trainers and rollers really aren't that fun to begin with, no need to wedge yourself in a corner and make it even less tolerable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    + Wear gloves

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you
    +1. Just take your trainer INSIDE, plop it in front of your TV with a nice fan or two on you while using a nice movie, race, or interval DVD to keep you going. Trainers and rollers really aren't that fun to begin with, no need to wedge yourself in a corner and make it even less tolerable.

Wanted that from day one, but then my parents can't go about watching HGTV and "live in peace".

Nonetheless, I've been getting along with the lack of entertainment (~2 hour commutes to and from school and all). Was thinking of getting a strong mini fan (or series of) that can clip onto the back of the sidecar's rack.