RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Arrrggh! Big Scratch on my top tube..dummy me!

Just before a RR last week I was making my pre-race visit to the Port-O-Pots, which as usual, had a big line up. There were 3 of em backed up against a Fire Station's cinderblock wall, right at the corner of the building. No handy place to set the bike. When my turn came, I was forced to put the saddle against the side of the Portopot and the bars against the corner of the building. When climbing into the John, of course, it rocked a little and caused the bike to slip off, and then the top tube of my formerly pristine Ridley Noah slipped and slid right down the corner of that cinderblock wall...Uggg! A huge section of the clear coat was ripped right off along with some of the paint and graphics beneath....Damn! I know better but I hadda go right then, or miss the race start...ugly!
    Don Hanson

Anti-Hero
    If that's the worst wreck it's ever in, then you're a lucky man
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    No need to get upset, you now have your crit bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quick question to the board...what's wrong with laying your bike down on the ground? Seems like we're always trying to prop them up somewhere when we could put them on the ground resting on the same points plus a pedal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Yah, my Crit bike now.

Actually, I have already been riding the Noah in crits and it's been outstanding there. So far I've avoided the crashes while on the Noah.

But, having to watch, helplessly, as the dang bike did the worst possible tip-over, sliding down the corner of a block wall along that top tube...Kinda like...When you drop a peice of toast with butter and jam....it always seems to land with the "gooie side down" right? It coulda just tipped over and scuffed the saddle or torn the bar tape, but Nooo!, it hadda go right to the top tube and then down that sharp cinder block corner....

I often do lay my bike right down flat, like the previous poster asked...keeps others from stacking their bikes up on mine.

Don Hanson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lay it down. A bike can't fall off the ground.

(Riding a 9 year old bike with no dents or chips on my top tube, although some of the credit goes to Imron 2000 clear coat!)

waterproof*
    Painful lesson to learn. Sympathy.

That's a carbon bike, right? Watch that scratch for future problems. Be sure to get it to a good painter for touch up.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Lemur-ing
    I nicked the top tube of my road bike the FIRST day I had it, RIGHT at the shop after they just built it up.

Unclipped from the trainer, leg over top tube but BAM! Unfortunately, the cleat on my right shoe clipped the top tube a little and there was a small nick.

Oh well.

I had my bike flip over and land on the saddle after it did an acrobatic stunt too. Luckily there was only a small paint chip on the top tube.

Things happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

mad11:11one

Angry My God Damn Derrailleur Chipped Mine

SNAPED RIGHT ONTO THE TUBE CAUSE OF LACK OF CABLE TENSION....
    HUGE CHIP!!!!
    BALLS!!!!

sorry about your tip over man....
    i know how it feels.
    Last edited by MANTEIGA; 10-14-2008 at 01:30 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    ouch, there are always those stupid moments when you get the dajavu of "oh i really shouldnt put it there" but you do anyway, and of course as you turn you hear the most horrible sound ever created - your pride and joy taking a walk down cinderblock lane (sorry mate is it too soon? haha i shouldnt joke) or something similar. Im yet to scratch mine although when i do ill be in one hell of a mood