RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

Back from college, and I have gained 2 mph at tempo speed? how?

I went away to college last fall, before then I was riding 2-3 hours per day, and racing frequently. I am 19, 5'9" and weigh 152 lb. Over the summer (2007) around my peak my lactic threshold was ~300 watts (confirmed by two tests, one an uphill tt, and the other on an indoor setup for testing lt wattage and hr). I am not sure of the wattage this correlates to but on a flat I was tt'ing at around 25 mph, with aero bars on a regular bike. Since I went to college I have had virtually no time to ride and maybe managed a total of 20 rides, sad to say. My weight increased from 143 lb (normal weight) to 152 lb, there seem to be no change in my height, and also my body composition (visually speaking) doesn't suggest that I have gained much weight if any (i can not tell a difference, nor could anyone else I know from home). At college I worked on my back and core strength a bit, but not very much. My lack of core strength was my most obvious weakness as back pain was frequent for me on the bike prior to college. I returned home over spring break and rode 3 times, all were phenomenal, my strength and ability seemed much better than before, though it did seem like I was getting worse actually, by the third ride my back pain was flaring up. This matches my own anecdotes, whenever I take a week or two off I come back very strong on my first few rides.

Just for clarification, I live in Miami, (for the summer at least, where it is pan flat ~3ft of elevation every 10 mi)

Now that I am back for the summer, I have done some riding but have been disrupted by a crash and an infection, however, my riding has been phenomenal. I can now go out and tempo at 21.5-22.5 mph at the same PE that I used to do 18.5-20 mph. Now I can go out and ride at 25 mph for extended periods of time feeling like I am below my LT. All of this with no training and gaining weight? It seems ridiculous, but my avg speeds and performance riding confirms it. Other differences are that I am now making a more concerted effort to drink more water , I remember that in the past I drank much less (would be fine with losing 4 lb. of water weight on a two hour ride).

Is it possible/likely that my body has simply matured, even though aside from this weight gain, that shows no other outward symptoms of maturation and that my athletic ability is at a peak even though I am completely de-trained? I simply never remember being able to comfortably sustain speeds like I can now, and I am very curious as to why this has happened.
    Last edited by mpetersen16; 06-03-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    Did you race A's for collegiate? With what school?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fix your speedometer
    Bikes:
    • 2012 CAAD10 (4)
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 1998 Marin East Peak - MTB
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker
    Fix your speedometer
    +2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    Did you race A's for collegiate? With what school?
    I raced B's for Georgia Tech, did one weekend of racing at UGA's race, first a tt (hard course) but still embarrassing that I avg'd 20 mph, even if it was on a borrowed bike from the 80's, then later that day I did a rr, and I had not ridden a single time in 6 months, had no endurance, attacked early (foolish lol) then got dropped and did a nice 60 mile solo ride (figured I needed it). There was a crit the next day, where I finished somewhere in the top 20, and was feeling loads better, really riding with ease in the group. (This weekend was two weeks before I went home for spring break, and I didn't ride in between then and the three rides I described over spring break).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Before the state champs last year I did my most intense week, one day was a 4 hour ride at 21-22 mph (all flat), and I was in great shape then, that hurt like hell, now I feel like I could do this with semi ease, if I built up the endurance (right now my stamina allows for about 1.5-2 hrs of riding).

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    At 300w and 143lbs, that is 4.6w/kg. You would have been winning or doing top 5's in those A-races last year, and you definitely would be averaging 21mph on regular rides.

There are two problems with your post:
    1) You weren't putting out 4.6w/kg and doing poorly in collegiate B races. You would have been doing top 5 or winning in the A's field.
    2) Fix your speedo. You aren't gaining speed after a long break of almost no riding. Especially if, somehow, you previously were at 4.6w/kg.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Youu re misunderstanding me, when i did the college B race, I had not touched the bike once in the last 6 months, and had gained over 10 pounds, so likely at that time my lt was much lower, and I was feeling like crap because I had already ridden over 20 miles (tt and warm up) earlier that day.

Every little counts...
    You had a tailwind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    lol, this isnt on one day, but several days (maybe 7 when I have done solo rides) over about 3 weeks, each which were spaced a week apart (my riding has been prevented by a cold and then a week later an infection). The majority of my riding is out and back and I can feel a wind pretty well as everything is flat in miami and you learn to feel the direction of wind as it is the main obstacle here.

Ed.
    I just realized that at college I have been doing about 3-8 all out short efforts every (well 4-6 days every week) day while sprinting to class on my mountain bike (I love going fast lol, and never ride the cheap mtb slowly). They aren't hard enough to completely empty the tank, but well enough to build a significant lactic debt and last around 2-5 min. Not sure what effect if any this could have, I remember seeing an article in a physiological journal showing that six sessions of sprint training increased endurance (link to article at bottom). Could these hard efforts, which were sprints for me (albeit not in a conventional road cycling sense) have increased my fitness so that even fairly detrained I am much stronger at tempo pace?

I am not trying to showboat that I feel stronger, but am generally interested in understanding why said changes have occurred, so please don't think so and be vindictive with sarcasm

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/conten...t/01095.2004v1
    The article concludes that "short sprint interval training (~15 min of intense exercise over 2 wks) increased muscle oxidative potential and doubled endurance capacity during intense aerobic cycling in recreationally active individuals."
    Last edited by mpetersen16; 06-05-2008 at 07:55 PM.